finally finished installing ultimate arena!

All about games on the Falcon, TT & clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

finally finished installing ultimate arena!

Postby Mr.JT » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:39 pm

I've finally finished installing ultimate arena falcon edition! And it only took me 2hours!! :oops:

Trying to get a slightly oversized msa to the falcon along with 2 other msa's via a floppies then reforming them before using jaymsa to create the installer floppies (which caused havoc trying to 'over-format' an HD floppy so the big file would fit) just to be able to reinstall it back on the the harddrive!? (stupid routine wouldnt let installation from files already on the hard drive!) Oh and with various errors and issues with long filenames along the way!

Anyone else take longer than me to install this, or any other program/game for that matter? Thought it was normally the realm of Windoze to take this long! Now I haven't got time to play the game before I go out!!

JT

tof
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tof » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:21 am

you have downloaded the archive from my website ?
If yes, have you got an idea to make the installation more easy ? i am interested ....

Thanks
My Atari Museum
It talks about Atari ST and Falcon 030

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:37 am

tof wrote:you have downloaded the archive from my website ?
If yes, have you got an idea to make the installation more easy ? i am interested ....

Thanks

I did - was it a personal copy you used as I've been looking for it for ages?! Nice work!

Anyway, I think part of the problem was me :oops:, part was that magic didn't like copying filenames with multiple periods in it (eg., filname.msa.txt) but I didnt work that problem out for ages! The only thing you might be able to change is the first disk msa is only just too big to fit on a HD floppy, and zipping it didn't seem to help, so I had to split it across two floppies. But that might be because I use an apple mac and it tends to store a couple of small hidden files on the floppy which might use the last few kilobytes needed to fit the file on?

But other than that, thanks for hosting so many great falcon games! :)

JT

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Re: finally finished installing ultimate arena!

Postby Marcer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:50 am

I did like this

Zipped Disk 1.. then it fitted nice on hd floppy. Then I transferd all disks from my pc to my falcon

Then I used Jaymsa to extract all msa files on 3 disks (floppys). Then I installed the lot..

This didnt take more than 30 min.. anyway.. after installed I runned the game.. and the password page appeard..
I didnt think it was active so i just clicked.. and whoops.. there the game was nuked from my hdd!
hell... I had to re-install again..more minutes to wait.. then I did a Dupe copy. to another drive.. if I put wrong
password again.. what a nasty protection.. you only have 1 try!!

Greetz
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

tof
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tof » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:11 pm

For the passwords, i think (not sure) that they are in the manual. You can find it here
PS : this game is now freeware today with the consent of its author (Theobuz)
My Atari Museum

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:08 am

one stupid questio: if you already installed this game, can you simple ZIP/LZH all files from harddisc and put it back on web ? :)
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 am

If you know where every file is and manage to zip it _ALL_ then it should be OK.
For Atari, normally it's in a folder that the installer create.
For Mint, it may be installing into several folders.. system, etc, users etc... so it may be trickier.

For the game, it should be just that one folder the installer created.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 am

@wongck yes,I know that. I have Atari computers since 1986. :)

All games that I have on F030 are in one folder so if you install Ultimate Arena on HDD than I suppose it could be ziped again.

btw I did not know that there is special F030 version - what are the difference to STe version? (which I played alot back then... )
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:57 am

:wink:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

tof
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tof » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:21 pm

calimero wrote:btw I did not know that there is special F030 version - what are the difference to STe version? (which I played alot back then... )

The screen has more colors. You can see the difference between the 2 versions :
STe Game : Image Image
Falcon Game : Image Image
Sorry for the bad quality for the falcon screenshots. More information on this game here
For an archive ZIP of the installed game, i'm not sure but i think that it doesn't work (protection). Somebody can confirm ? :wink:
My Atari Museum

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:02 pm

wow, cool! F030 version really looks better!

Mr.JT, can you send me ZIPed version of game to try it?

Thanx in advanced!

tof
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tof » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:21 pm

you can fin the Falcon version of ultimate arena on my website : Le coin info de Tof (see my signature below)

Some informations about the protection (from strider on this post french forum Yaronet, google translation) :
- It is protected against copying. That is why I preferred to make images MSA rather than make a big zip of the game once installed. Indeed, after installation, you can not move the game on another partition. Well, the protection is fairly easy to find: we see only one file seen its date update after installation, it is TREBLEBK.GFX. Indeed, at the end of the installation, the installer patch this file (GIF image, it seems) with the contents of the partition boot sector on which the game is installed

So, we could imagine a sort of crack that patch this file with the contents TREBLEBK.GFX boot sector of the current partition. We may also consider a patch on ARENA.PRG himself as the game is Abandonware it must be legally possible?
My Atari Museum

Social Media

Return to “Games”