A proper computer on E-bay; RM 380z

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

A proper computer on E-bay; RM 380z

Postby rocket-dog » Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: A proper computer on E-bay; RM 380z

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:04 pm

I wonder if Aly is reading this because she is quite fond of this computer if I recall. I do not personally have any experience with this one but I do remember my uncle building a Nascom (possibly v2). That was when building meant getting all the components and soldering them yourself, doing all the testing etc. Real boffin stuff and my uncle is an electronics expert of 50yrs+ experience for sure. The Nascom was Z80 based I think too.

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sun May 02, 2010 5:48 pm

There is some Nascom stuff on t'web, including an emulator.

The 380z was the first computer I use regularly with a hard disc; I can't remember but I think it was something like 5Mb. It had a dedicated green screen CRT monitor too. It was just so chunky and computery. And it had Pascal too, I wrote one of my O levels programs in Pascal. Oh!!! And CPM too.

Apple ][ and 380z proper computers.......... :wink:

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Yup I have the emulator and a huge list of software, although I have not used it despite having it on disc for years. I remember as a kid playing a simple frogger type game called Lollypop Lady Trainer, where you had to cross the road with the kids without killing them all. Very addictive!

030falcon030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 030falcon030 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Well I didn't even know schools had computers before the bbc machines. Of course when I started infant school in 95 and left in 98 we still used BBC machines for education there were only bbc machines in that school then. In my junior school 1998 to 2002 we used pc's for education but there were always 3 bbc machines down the end of the corridor (about 20 win 3.1 machines as well and about 5 or 6 win98 internet computers there as well) which were the most popular ones (they were always the first that got booked for lunchtime by people who wanted to play chuckie egg)
To me RM is a name that only arouses hate: it is the company that provides crap slow windows pc's and runs the internet blocker we had all the way through senior school to stop us getting on game sites or anything not considered suitable for school.
Though that machine does look pretty powerful considering its age if upgraded to 56kb ram and colour board compared to most 8bit computers released later.
hmmm:/
I have an ste 4mb... with a 20mb powerdrive slimline and a cumana external fdd.
And a falcon 14mb w/ ct63 + ctpci

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon May 03, 2010 11:24 am

030falcon030 wrote:Well I didn't even know schools had computers before the bbc machines.

My school had CMB Pet and they were state of the art then.
I remember one of my classmate bought a ZX81, and we went to program a game that was publish in a magazine.
Of course there was lots of typo & syntax errors, and I ended up loaning the BASIC book from a senior doing his O level.
I managed to get the game working.... and that was what started me on computer :wink:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Mon May 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Oh yes Singapore uses (or used to use) British exam's; I forgot that.

Nobody has anything good to say about RM's PC but their CPM boxes were built like tanks and ran well too. Then again back in those days there wasn't much variation between machines that used CPM; a lot fewer components to mix and match.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue May 04, 2010 12:04 pm

rocket-dog wrote:Oh yes Singapore uses (or used to use) British exam's; I forgot that.

Nah, I never studied in Singapore.
But sure they use the GCE O & A levels..... I think most of commonwealth nations does anyway.
Believe me that's the best by far and British education is recognised and respected by tons of countries.
I was in Japan and the folks I worked with there respected my education, even when they are very Americanised.
It's funny that some years back, I read that America was going to follow some of the Singapore education system, however I am not
sure if that was done. If the Americans followed some of the Singapore education system, then they in fact are following the
British system. But I guess they would not want to be seen as following the British so the indirect way.... :lol:
I am not sure what the education scene is like in UK, I have lost touch with it, well, I'm not there.
Even most of the commonwealth countries now are talking about semester while I still think in term.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby techie_alison » Wed May 05, 2010 6:21 am

Yeah saw that 380Z. Can't believe I got rid of mine. Gave it to a friend, but boy were they HEAVY!!
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Wed May 05, 2010 11:33 am

techie_alison wrote:Yeah saw that 380Z. Can't believe I got rid of mine. Gave it to a friend, but boy were they HEAVY!!

I have told you before you are far too generous for your own good...... :)

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 pm

RM 380Z 12.JPG

Amazing that a type of computer that I used at school should be sold for £163.65 in the year 2010. I never thought that I would hear about such a machine let alone find one for sale!
At the secondary school I attended there was one 380Z and a handful of BBC model B machines. As the number of students outweighed the number of machines the 380Z was the last in the "queue" as the BBC machines were far more popular. These were the only computers in the school (all in only one classroom).
I did program the 380Z but did not keep any programs on the 5¼ floppy disks (they were expensive when using your pocket money!) instead I used my limited supply of floppies for use with the BBC machines.
Happy days :D

I nearly forgot to mention that the whole class got to write a simple batch program in BASIC and the school arranged for all of them to run on a mainframe somewhere. We all got a line-printer printout of the results. Because the BASIC was somewhat different to the BBC BASIC and 380Z BASIC we were used to, a lot of the batch programs failed :(

Now less than £60 buys a 1TB drive and you can get a USB flash drive for £5. But now Mars bars are smaller but cost 50p or more (at school the school tuck shop sold them for 18p). Strange world we live in :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falcon, Atari 520ST, 520STFM, 1040STE, Mega, TT and more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's).
Visit the Atari-Forum Wiki. Lots of technical info at DrCoolZic Atari ST Site :D

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”