STOS file structure

STOS-related stuff in here please

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

STOS file structure

Postby darklight » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:38 am

For anyone interested in the STOS file structure, I've added it to the wiki: STOS.BAS wiki entry

Still not figured out memory banks, and what I've posted could well be wrong or incomplete, please let me know if so!

I've provided the token lookup tables too, for the base STOS instructions, and also for the Misty 1.7 extension. If anyone can add to this list with more extensions, please do. I'll try and add more of my extensions soon.

This work was done as part of my (PC based) STOS editor, which amongst other benefits, will provide a much easier way of sharing STOS source code - previously (if I'm not mistaken) to share STOS source code you had to have the same extension configuration as the writer of the code, somewhat impossible if you didnt know the author.

Anyway - I hope someone finds this useful! :D
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:20 am

Nyh (on this forum) recently researched the various Stos formats and memory banks. Perhaps pm him for more details.

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:36 pm

PaulB wrote:Nyh (on this forum) recently researched the various Stos formats and memory banks. Perhaps pm him for more details.

Mr Darklight extended on my knowledge in the Wiki. I am sure he is able to find a I know in in Wiki.

Hans Wessels

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:34 pm

I'll have a look at it sometime and compare it to my working stos detokenizer.

I have gotten back to the computer lately. Made an amos detokenizer.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:19 pm

In the base token list, 2 tokens are missing:

&HFB binary notation
&HFD hex notation

These have the alignment byte, then a 4 byte long follows.
I'll check more later, had to go to work.

:)

Does anyone have a stos file with a lot of floats? I need a test file with an ASCII dump as well so I can compare the output. STOS won't run on my hades.

Has anyone OCR'd the STOS manuals?
Would be a nice addition to the Wiki.

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:25 pm

Sorry lp I didnt see your request for a STOS file - I can probably send you one in the next few days...

And yeah - definately if someone can OCR the manual / provide a text copy that would be *so* helpfull!

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:50 pm

I made some progress, however some of the floats seem to end up with a lot of extra decimal places. I'm not sure how many decimal places STOS supports and GFA probably supports more due to the 8 byte format. Might just need to clip off some extra decimal places? Test files would still be handy. :lol:

The extensions seem to be a problem to decode. I assume if someone installs them, they are issued an extension number based on the disk directory order? So the same extension on one system might have a different extension number on another system? So there is no easy way to decode extensions at all? :?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:46 pm

The new book scanner hasn't turned up yet - although I think I might have two copies of STOS handy so I can forsee one of the manuals becoming "loose leaf" and not ring bound as then it'll go through my Fujitsu document scanner that way :)

Will see if I do have two copies of STOS ...
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Here is a small test file, in .bas & .asc. The numbers I entered were actually much longer, so it looks like STOS limits you to 5 decimal places.

You are pretty much right with the extensions - it actually goes by the last letter of the extension's extension - i.e. STE.EXF is extension F, or 5, MISTY.EXM is extension M, or 12, or 0x0C.

If you have a .bas file from someone else that uses extensions, then you'll need your extensions to be in the same order to decode it correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:26 am

Thanks for the float.zip and info, now I got it working correctly. GFA is accurate to 11 decimal places or such, so dropping a few places indeed solved it.

All I can say about the extension scheme in STOS is, well it's poorly implemented. :lol:

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:43 am

It looks like the STOS manual has been turned into a PDF, and is included in GameBaseST - see this thread

How does one go about obtaining GamebaseST? I remember reading I should look for it on P2P, but I never found it :(

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:09 am

http://www.gamebasest.pwp.blueyonder.co ... nloads.htm

My connection is too slow. Says it will take like 7 hours to get that 1gb archive. Maybe someone with a faster connection can download it and dig around in it for some PDFs? :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:56 pm

Goldrunner is supposed to be sending me the latest version of it on DVDR so when it arrives I'll have a look for the manual in there.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: STOS file structure

Postby charles » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:28 pm

dark light do you know of this forum or site , it is about the st and stos
http://stos.atari.st/
i will post to other thread as well

charles
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

Social Media

Return to “STOS”