Retronic on my Falcon or TT never worked?

Everything related to using the HxC Floppy Emulator hardware on your Atari.

Moderators: DrCoolZic, mr.vince, Moderator Team

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Retronic on my Falcon or TT never worked?

Postby FatRakoon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:09 pm

I bought one of these some time ago.
Mine is :-

USB HxCFloppyEmultor v3.0.6.6a

I have tried to get it to work and I simply have never managed more than at best where it simply sees something but wont access it. to it just not letting me boot it up?

So, its kind of simply been dumped and I have kind of given up... I do try it out a few times, I do say ok, lets habe a look, and then I get nowhere again and I just get no patience.

I have tried all the jumpers, and I have tried flashing it and then I am thinking.. Did the flash work? Have I wrecked it by flashing it wrong? I have flashed things before and the process I went through was the right way and I am sure I used the right files, but why wont it work?

Can anyone guide me a little?

Tell me EXACTLY what files I do need to flash it ( If it needs flashing again )
Tell me what jumpers I need to set this to?

There are 7 jumpers ( J5 JA JC JB S0 S1 M0 ) ( Yes JB and JC are marked that way )

There is also BOOT0 | 3.3v | TX | RX | RST
However, there is a row of 5 and 2 holes, so not sure if I should even touch those.

Also, the flash drive that I use... I have tried various ones in various formats, just in case, and I have had it displaying 00 but the buttons dont do anything, so... I feel close, but not there!

Anyway, Im up for any help, and will take any advise really.

Thanks.
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Retronic on my Falcon or TT never worked?

Postby Dal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Let’s check the basics...

Assuming you’ve set the jumpers for ST mode, next step is to run the HxC host application on a PC, hook up the HxC emulator to a free USB port on your PC and fire it up.

It’s been a while since I used it, but from what I remember, the app converts the MSA/ST/STX/ etc... image you mount to the format used by HxC (extension escapes me right now. Once you have your image mounted, start up your ST and off it goes.

I’m a bit confused by your reference to flash disk. Note that the USB HxC is really a usb PC peripheral and does not accept a USB flash disk. I don’t even know how you’d plug one in given it has a USB B port...?
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby kodak80 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:48 pm

I think this is a gotek by another name with FlashFloppy firmware? Should show F-F when no USB is inserted.

https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Dal wrote:I’m a bit confused by your reference to flash disk. Note that the USB HxC is really a usb PC peripheral and does not accept a USB flash disk. I don’t even know how you’d plug one in given it has a USB B port...?

I have the SD card HXc so I am useless for the USB version.... can't help much.

From my understanding, the PC is the server serving the disk image to the HXc via a long USB cable.
A special programs runs on Windoze that talks to the USB HXc on the ST.
I did not get that product as I have less PC than FatRakoon. :lol:
I am sure that there are some Youtube video showing this in action.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:04 am

I got an (early) HxC USB, and indeed it's a "slave" USB device for a PC.

The PC, using a dedicated software, serves disk image data via USB cable to the HxC drive in the retro computer.
So the PC software must be running continuously along the retro computer, and you load and swap disks on this PC software.

Also, at least on my version, the retro computer cannot write back to the PC, it's read only.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:13 pm

Dal wrote:Assuming you’ve set the jumpers for ST mode

Erm, where in the docs does it have the jumper info?

Dal wrote:next step is to run the HxC host application on a PC, hook up the HxC emulator to a free USB port on your PC and fire it up.

It has Floppy pins, to connect it to a floppy port... It does NOT connect VIA USB - We are talking about different devices it seems?

Dal wrote:I’m a bit confused by your reference to flash disk. Note that the USB HxC is really a usb PC peripheral and does not accept a USB flash disk. I don’t even know how you’d plug one in given it has a USB B port...?

Ah, then we ARE talking about different devices then!

Mine is a floppy drive replacement that connects to the Floppy cable, and has a USB port on the front, so I can copy some Floppy Images onto the USB Flash disk and then plug that into the floppy emulator port and then use the buttons to cycle through the images as if its cycling through floppy disks being inserted.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:18 pm

kodak80 wrote:I think this is a gotek by another name with FlashFloppy firmware? Should show F-F when no USB is inserted.

Yes, thats the one, however, I did NOT get mine from these, and I had no software with it?

Do you perhaps have a copy you could EMail me?

damion.p.jones at gee mail dot com ?

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:24 pm

wongck wrote:I have the SD card HXc so I am useless for the USB version.... can't help much.

Mine is the USB Flash Drive Version

wongck wrote:I did not get that product as I have less PC than FatRakoon. :lol:

LOL... Just LOL

wongck wrote:I am sure that there are some Youtube video showing this in action.

I have looked, but not found any such video. Would be a very useful thing to have though!

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:25 pm

dma wrote:I got an (early) HxC USB, and indeed it's a "slave" USB device for a PC.

The PC, using a dedicated software, serves disk image data via USB cable to the HxC drive in the retro computer.
So the PC software must be running continuously along the retro computer, and you load and swap disks on this PC software.

Also, at least on my version, the retro computer cannot write back to the PC, it's read only.

This is NOT at all what my device is...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:14 pm

FatRakoon wrote:I bought one of these some time ago.
Mine is :-

USB HxCFloppyEmultor v3.0.6.6a

Ok, somewhat misleading bit of info given i guess.

The HXC Floppy Emulator comes in 2 flavours:
1/ The USB version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JtvMyur-DY
2/ The SD version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDxgXV9BZb0
But these are not what you have.

So you have a Gotek with HXC firmware - Usage instructions here:
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 486#p16457

I would just called these Gotek.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

tzok
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tzok » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:24 pm

If you have a GOTEK with either Flash-Floppy or HxC firmware, you should be able to connect it to Atari and use right out of the box. Only remember to connect the floppy cable the right way (on STf/STe it will be "upside-down"). For either firmware, you have to have a FAT32 formatted pendrive, with autoboot.hfe image on it. You'll find this image packed together with a HxC firmware:
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

Path to the right autoboot.hfe in the archive is HXCFEUSB_HFE_beta_firmware\Next_WIP_Alpha_Firmware_And_Tools\File_Selector\Atari_ST\autoboot.hfe, you have to put that file in the root of your USB stick.

Also, the GOTEK must be set to Drive #0, so jumpers on S0 and M0.

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:16 am

Great, I will try those...

The Atari is in my Utility room and thats currently being returned to a garage so I can fit my Harley in for the winter... ( I found out the hard & expensive way that Harleys are utter piles of junk that rot on UK roads if you even think about taking it out, and so I have no choice but to either sell it or bring it inside the house - and so as it owes me about 6 grand more than its worth.... Im keeping it indoors from now on ). So this means that at this moment, I cannot get to it as we have moved everythign over to get at the garage door ( False wall and a sink etc in teh way right now )

kodak80
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby kodak80 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:50 am

FatRakoon wrote:
kodak80 wrote:I think this is a gotek by another name with FlashFloppy firmware? Should show F-F when no USB is inserted.

Yes, thats the one, however, I did NOT get mine from these, and I had no software with it?

Do you perhaps have a copy you could EMail me?

damion.p.jones at gee mail dot com ?

Sorry, I have a Gotek which I installed the FlashFloppy firmware onto. If you have the drive shown in the picture above then you also have a Gotek and usage will depend on which firmware is loaded onto it. I did a Google search and found the above information. If you power on without a USB stick inserted into it, what does the numeric display show? If it shows F-F then the device has FlashFloppy firmware and you should be able to use standard FlashFloppy user guides to get you going. If the display shows hXc then you should use the HxC Emulator files and guides. Hope this helps you get this going.

I also changed the numeric display for an OLED display which shows filename and folder information and you can then simply use a blank USB and copy onto it the disk image files and then the OLED shows the file names. I find the device alot easier to use with the OLED display.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards | MiniCosmosEx
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:22 pm

FatRakoon wrote:
Dal wrote:Assuming you’ve set the jumpers for ST mode

Erm, where in the docs does it have the jumper info?

Dal wrote:next step is to run the HxC host application on a PC, hook up the HxC emulator to a free USB port on your PC and fire it up.

It has Floppy pins, to connect it to a floppy port... It does NOT connect VIA USB - We are talking about different devices it seems?

Ah, then we ARE talking about different devices then!

Mine is a floppy drive replacement that connects to the Floppy cable, and has a USB port on the front, so I can copy some Floppy Images onto the USB Flash disk and then plug that into the floppy emulator port and then use the buttons to cycle through the images as if its cycling through floppy disks being inserted.

1 - Update your firmware - Current version HxC version is v3.1.30.2a :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... _notes.txt
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... rmware.zip

Update procedure :
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 486#p16456

2 - Copy the autoboot.hfe + the config file + some *.ST/*.HFE disk images to the stick (fat32 formatted).
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... anager.zip

3 - If not already done, connect the gotek to the ST.
(See the troubleshooting help post : http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... 683#p18293)

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FatRakoon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:08 am

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:Stuff

Ok, many thanks for this... I will get on with it as soon as I can.
Im hellish busy right now, getting the utility room converted back into a garage for my Harley to keep that safe over winter, and then I can get on with messing with the Ataris again.

Social Media

Return to “HxC Floppy Emulator”