Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 Book Project on Kickstarter

All discussions about the Atari 8bit range of machines.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Celdrahil
Atarian
Atarian

Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 Book Project on Kickstarter

Postby Celdrahil » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Hello everybody,
This week my Kickstarter book project "Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995" has started.

As some of you already knew I have been working on a book project about Atari games since 02/2015 with the help of Al/AA. It’s focused on in-game graphics, presenting the best/iconic and - sometimes not so good looking - games.

It is comparable to the popular books like “Visual Compendium of C64/ZX Spectrum/NES” and “ZX Spectrum/C64 in Pixels” but with more focus on screenshots. There is editorial content in my book, but no large interviews or "making ofs".

It should have been a small book with about 200 pages, focusing on the 2600 only. As time went by I thought it would be a good idea to add another Atari system – the Atari 7800 ProSystem - since the game library is rather small and could be added in full. As soon I was done with the 7800 I looked at my completed 5200 SuperSystem collection and again, I went on and added all games for the system to my book project.

At that point I was already at 500+ pages. Playing all those 5200 games again after quite some time I went another step further, adding the – from my perspective – best or interesting games for the 8-bit computer family. Knowing that there is no chance of adding all good 8-bit games I aimed for an easier prey with a finite goal: The Lynx library, it’s just 74 games, can’t be that hard to add them and it’s an 8-bit system anyway…

So now I am at 704 pages and this without even covering prototypes, homebrews and aftermarket releases. At one point I have to draw a line if I ever want to publish the book.
And here we are. The book is close to be done. I have to unify the positions of the CIB, streamline the information content and change some shadows for the sprites. It’s a routine task and doesn’t involve time-consuming researches.

But why a Kickstarter project if everything is close to be done? And why so much? Creating a book is one thing; actually get it printed is a bit different. It’s expensive. You have a minimum number, and a quality printing costs extra money, it’s not just some random internet printer.

If you are interested in such a book give it a look on Kickstarter right here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/99 ... 77-to-1995

Many thanks for reading,
Marc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 Book Project on Kickstarter

Postby Marakatti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:30 pm

Looks awesome as 8-bit is a nice sidehobby besides ST. I'm dreaming that one day there would be an ST version too by someone.

Pledged :)
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Celdrahil
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Celdrahil » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:35 pm

I love the ST as well, so who knows :)

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Yes, the ST version is the one I'd be interested in and will wait patiently for. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Zap
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Zap » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:15 am

I'd buy both. :)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:40 am

"Games for Atari: 1977 to 1995 is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable." So apparently, you can't make a set of screenshots and sell it. Wow.

Zap
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Zap » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Oh no, that's horrible news! :(

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:33 pm

It does seem unfair to profit from the hard work of game developers.

In the past fans created not-for-profit gaming fan websites which could be read by everyone for free and suddenly there is this push to sell books containing content they don't own.

Had the book been mainly words, interviews etc. (the main purpose of a book) I would imagine there would have been no dispute.

Zap
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Zap » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:33 am

alexh wrote:It does seem unfair to profit from the hard work of game developers.

In the past fans created not-for-profit gaming fan websites which could be read by everyone for free and suddenly there is this push to sell books containing content they don't own.

Had the book been mainly words, interviews etc. (the main purpose of a book) I would imagine there would have been no dispute.

Seems to me from the OP that it's just screenshots and short reviews of basically every Atari game. That doesn't seem unfair at all. It's no different than Pat Contri's "Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library 1985-1995" book.

Social Media

Return to “The Atari 8bit corner”