Possible to use US 8bits in UK?

All discussions about the Atari 8bit range of machines.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Mulbin
Atarian
Atarian

Possible to use US 8bits in UK?

Postby Mulbin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:07 pm

HI all,

I'm currently looking at buying a 400 or 800 but it seems they mostly become available from the US. What is involved getting a US machine to run in the UK? Presumably a replacement power supply and a screen or converter that's ok with ntsc... but are there any other issues?

Also, any info on peripherals.... for example, do atari disk/tape drives have a seperate power unit? Or is it hard wired into the back of the drive?

Thanks!

Atari030
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Possible to use US 8bits in UK?

Postby Atari030 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:39 pm

Peripherals are OK, only power supply worries there, they aren't integrated. You will need for the 400/800 too, so you are right there. I don't know about the UK/Eu but most PAL TV's over the last couple of decades in Aussie can support 60hz/NTSC OK, it is just a matter of figuring out how you are going to hook it up and what to.

I don't have a 400 or 800 but XLs and XEs are no drama.

Mulbin
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mulbin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks, that's great. Just got an ntsc 400 and 410 for £40 plus shipping on the way from the states. I've also discovered there are apparently colour issues using pal games on the ntsc system but it does mean I can buy in the often cheaper/more common US versions of the games.

The 400 is coming with US power supplys so I may look into using a US-UK voltage adapter so I can still use the US power unit... I'll look into how stable they are!

If I still have the atari bug I'll pick up a UK 400 or 800 later on!

Atari030
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari030 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:22 am

I seem to remember Loderunner was a funny purple colour due to NTSC/PAL variations. Some TV's will display NTSC 60hz as black and white too. But I've never had that trouble with 8-bits, only my Jag.

Social Media

Return to “The Atari 8bit corner”