Atari 1040 stf 6 tos chips

All discussions about the Atari 8bit range of machines.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ramparts » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:07 am

Hi and regards to all.

I have a question ,i have recently aquired a atari 1040 stf rev c with 6 tos chips ,and the machine doesn´t boot ,i am suspecting someone changed tos rom chips order,can anyone post a pic of pcb with chips for mr to see the serial numbers and the correct locations?
If doesn´t help me can i make the 2 chips rom hack and what must i do for it to work?
Can burn 2 eprom 27c256 ?

Best regards

JOSÉ

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:34 am

Does this photo help? wiki/images/0/05/ST_Motherboard_1040STF_C070789_001_Rev_B_push2fit.jpg

More here: wiki/index.php?title=Atari_ST_motherboard_revisions

(I think you posted this in the wrong section, not an 8 bit machine)

The 6 chip to 2 chip mod is messy, and using 2 chip has no advantage over 6 chip TOS (which is often cheaper). Get 6 TOS 1.04 chips if the machine hasn't already got them (and you want to fix the problems with HD access etc)

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Atari 1040 stf 6 tos chips

Postby ramparts » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:03 am

Hi and thank you for your reply.

Moderators please feel free to reroute the post to the correct section.
Unfortunatly the pic you sugested doesn´t show the tos chips serial numbers and tis one,

wiki/images/7/76/ST_Motherboard_C070789-001_Rev_C.jpg

We can´t understand because picture is too weak and dark,my motherboard came with chip numbers changed like lo-0 (xxxxx34) , lo-1 (xxxxx37), lo-2 (xxxxx35) , and so on.
One other thing i notice is that when it arrives with the currect tos order, it produced a corrupt screen,and when i put the serial numbers on the tos chip by order from low to high ,it freezes on grey screen.
One other thing i notice is that it doesn´t appear to reset,if i knew wich were the ic responsable for the reset signal i could measure.
Meanwhile i am going to clean the ic´s sockets and reseat them.
For me it was more easy to burn new rom´s and make the 2 tos type and remove the rest of the sockets :(

Thanks in advance

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ramparts » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Hi .

I managem to change rom order and now the reset respond but appears screen corruption every time i boot tha atari.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Maybe this will help:

TOS 1.4 chipset.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ramparts » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Thank you very much for the answer but my tos rom are in straight line ,i will post later what i am experience,and the way i put my roms,since i am at work .

but thank you for the reply´s,i am a retrofan and i posted here earlyer ,because i had problems on my stock atari and was a model without the rf ,i could only make it work with a cable to scart but ended up ok :cheers:

Now this is going to be my pimped atari if i can make it work :)

Not beeing of topic i post here some of my work if i may.

My first atari with a modified commodore drive (My precious :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjAvGV7rapo

My amiga 1mb os 3.1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqEd69uD6Ok

Megadrive 1 with 512k ram mod.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXDKhtYeIus

Dreamcast with sd adapter made by myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj4jg3PONfk

And a megadrive 2 booting with a motorolla 68010 (Yes It´s Possible :D )

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:50 pm

In the photo I posted, the TOS chips from bottom to top are HI0, HI1, HI2, LO0, LO1, LO2.

Here's a photo of my STM's 6 chips, may help to work out if they are labelled correctly:

Another thing that you could try is a diagnostic test cartridge. You can buy them from Best Electronics, or for less $ you can get one that supports multiple machines made by Arne in Germany.

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ramparts » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:10 pm

Thank you very much for the picture ,i tried to put by order but no result,aparrently the only way that boots with corrupt screen is with order changed.
I tryed also to change to 1mb config and burn 2 chips on lo-o and hi-0 with 2 chips 27c512 ,swapped rom and no swapped both with no sucsess.
I split in 2 a tos 1.04 with tottal commander.
Ciuld be a problem with splited rom
So if anyone could post a valid 2 rom image with tos 1.04 i would appreciated.
The test cartridges on the site posted here are very expensive ,i saw 1 by 56 Dollars :( that pplus travel expenses make me do a bad bisness on this atari :(
i suspect ram issues but not sure,as far as i know this machine has beem on outside and could be a tottal loss :( ,it´s strange because it boots,could also be mmu and glue chips,what are impossible to get now a days over ebay at a good price

Best of regards to all that are posting here and other users.

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ramparts » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:54 pm

This is the current config and the screens i talk about.

IMG_05489.jpg

Chip config
1.jpg

Crack sip resistor that was replaced near tos rom´s

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ramparts » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:41 am

i must also say that with this issue on screen the reset works ,but of course the problem persist ,wich makes me think again in ram or mmu and glue chip ,i will try to see if it makes any diference with disk on drive.
I also cleaned mmu and glue chip but in vain.
I will inspect more further ,i am tempted to put new sockets on mmu and glue chip but it´s risc becuse of solder point under socket ,so it will be a last try.
i also remembered unsolder half of the ram but i don´t know if i have to change any config for the machine boot with 512k

regards

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:13 am

This 'multi' testkit cart is I think 30 Euros + shipping, it contains the ST, TT, Falcon, MSTE, etc testkits: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26374#p251320

Not sure if it can help with your machine though, it may have bigger problems...

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ramparts » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:29 am

Thank you for the reply but i don´t see who´s selling it on the post.
I have been talking to the best electrinics guy´s and they told me that for the kit to work the machine must boot the tos at least.
I am thinking to downgrade to 512k to reduce the 50/50 on the ram but i don´t know if have to make any jumper config or is just remove the right half of the ram´s
So i am going to ponder my options,and since the machine has been outside to the rain could bem just like the big capacitor damaged.
I will post here my findings.
I just think it should be online original tos chips images and not single images for emulators :?

best regards

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:31 am

I think it is quite easy to convert the emulator TOS images to the ones needed for individual ROM chips. I don't have a burner but from the description I read it seemed straightforward.

From that thread, if you want a multi testkit send an email to order-testkit (at) team-yankee (dot) net

ramparts
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ramparts » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Well i got some news.

I have tested mmu,glue chip and video chip and they all worked fine one my spare atari.
However the tos rom didn´t work fine ,i could see the reset shaking the screen ,but never entered to the atari system ,it hanged on the grey screen.
Looks despited of the roms could also be bad ram chips.

Social Media

Return to “The Atari 8bit corner”