Best Atari 8bit shoot'em up?

All discussions about the Atari 8bit range of machines.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Best Atari 8bit shoot'em up?

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:37 pm

I know that most of you don't feel the same as me but here's my personal favourite.

Before i begin to tell you my favourite i will put it like this.

Forget Xenon II, Forget most arcade shooters, even forget R-Type on Playstation, because none of them even comes close to the addiction and excellence of Millipede on Atari 800. Not even Millipede on the arcade machine close to the beauty and sheer playability of the A8 version of this game.

Yes, i'm a shoot'em up addict and own most shooters ever released.

Ed Logg was the man behind this awesome shooter that was different from just about anything else when it was released with it's complicated game engine.

Shoot all the time, and when you don't shoot enemies, shoot mushrooms. Try to hit the worm to slow down the whole game for a while when it gets faster and faster. Try to hit that pesky scorpion that makes the mushrooms poisoned, etc etc.

And when you are familiar with the mechanics of this game, you soon realise the sheer beauty with it. Millipede isn't a shoot'em up, it's a clear'em up, a strategy game and a shooter in one and the same game. And when you get real good at it you'll know exactly what to shoot, and when.

Millipede isn't about graphics, it's about gameplay and "one more go".

Other shooters might containg great graphics, a great soundtrack and even a nice looking intro screen, but none of them will even contain 20% av of the gameplay found in the Atari 800 version of Millipede.

I can still today play a game of Millipede anytime and enjoy it more then anything else. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Retrogamer_ST on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mOdmate
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Best Atari 8bit shoot'em up?

Postby mOdmate » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Zybex.

tresas
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tresas » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:54 am

Hmmm... VANGUARD, PHOBOS!!! :D
Atari Jackintosh for ever!

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 pm

Of the traditional vertical scrolling shooters Warhawk could be the best choice perhaps, It's even better then both the C64 and the ST version. That proves it's possible to make real good games on old Atari 800 when you know what you're doing. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Retrogamer_ST on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Wait, i have another game up there in top 5. ;)

Laser Gates by Jeff Minter, published by Imagic.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:59 pm

Retrogamer_ST wrote:Wait, i have another game up there in top 5. ;)

Wow, I never new Jeff Minter did that. I'm going give it a go...ok, yea am playing it and it is a really fun..Good Choice! :thumbs:

I am a big fan of Fort Apocalypse too. That is a good shooter, but there is an exploration element to it also.

*Edit* Do you play Millipede with a trackball or just the joystick?

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:29 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
Retrogamer_ST wrote:Wait, i have another game up there in top 5. ;)

Wow, I never new Jeff Minter did that. I'm going give it a go...ok, yea am playing it and it is a really fun..Good Choice! :thumbs:

I am a big fan of Fort Apocalypse too. That is a good shooter, but there is an exploration element to it also.

*Edit* Do you play Millipede with a trackball or just the joystick?

I use the joystick but a trackball (or the mouse) would really help when it gets real hectic at later levels. You can manage Millipede descent without the trackball but when playing Missile Command a trackball is almost nessessary.

You're right, Fort Apocalypse is a good shooter too for Atari 800 that should be added to the list. ;)

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Callisto

&

whats' the epic atari 8 bit version of that sidescroller? the one with sampled sound and levels that look like crazy guitars

I wish there was a shooter like 'Stardust' from the 48K spectrum that existed on the 8 bit Atari
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:28 pm

Callisto

&

whats' the epic atari 8 bit version of that sidescroller? the one with sampled sound and levels that look like crazy guitars

I wish there was a shooter like 'Stardust' from the 48K spectrum that existed on the 8 bit Atari www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgi6gndpTTs
Last edited by nativ on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Galaxian has always been a favourite too.

It's up there with the best and most addictive shooters on Atari 800.

kiwilove007
Atari User
Atari User

Postby kiwilove007 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:47 am

It's always subjective (personal) as to what shooter you like over another.
For me - Dropzone would be No.1 - if you were in awe of the Defender coin-op - and wanted a decent version of it, running on the Atari 800. The Atari Defender cart was a huge disappointment.
I think the story is - that Archer McLean wrote his own Defender game - which he showed off - and was asked to do something a bit different - since he couldn't offer his Defender - because he did not have the rights to... This is the gist, of what I read about... so hopefully my memory of it, is accurate?

I don't play videogames anymore - except for testing purposes these days... but I can offer my thoughts retrospectively.

I was always a fan of the coin-op games, and naturally would have loved seeing Atari home versions of them - but sadly the games that impressed me - weren't done or not done well enough - with only very few done to a high standard.
Galaxian was never an impressive coin-op to me - sure it was done alright and playable. I was more impressed by Galaga and it's followup.
I wasn't into Centipede - nor Millipede - being graphics orientated, I wasn't drawn to them.

Xevious made a big impression upon me - that's why I was so keen to do some kind of clone of it, for the Atari 800 - so I was lucky to work with Andrew Bradfield on Hawkquest. Hopefully those who tried it out, will agree - it is the best vertical scroller shooter to date? Hawkquest does more than that - in that it offers a secondary game to work through too. I've never got much feedback about the game overall - we did try to make something special - and hope our effort would be appreciated? Of course it isn't exactly Xevious - but I hoped it was more interesting to play than most other shooter games? Although it is not an easy game.

Zaxxon was another coin-op - I was particularly a big fan of. I was never happy with the Ron Fortier version - but have to admit it would not be an easy game to convert to run on the Atari 8-bit computers. I guess the C-64 version - showed how it could have been done? Well maybe not - seeing that the hardware is different.
I will give more than a hint - that actually I have done some reworking of the Zaxxon graphics - and borrowed/copied some of it's key features (hope Ron will not mind?) - but the game will not be Zaxxon like - but rather it'll most likely remain 'eye candy' - ie. not be interactive as such... Just to show what a Zaxxonesque like game could look like... and I can't give a date when this will appear.
I'd mention it here - because this is most likely a less read forum post - than elsewhere. "Mum's the word...."

Blue Max made up for the absence of a decent Zaxxon game - and I better not hint at - what I've done with these graphics - which I do admire... but actually in this case - I can't do much to upgrade it. Blue Max showed how to copy a game kind of, and do something a bit different with it.

Harvey

Social Media

Return to “The Atari 8bit corner”