CT60, updating ABE and/or SDR, JTAG device error !

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

Emphii
Atariator
Atariator

CT60, updating ABE and/or SDR, JTAG device error !

Postby Emphii » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 pm

Hello felloes.

I have a problem with updating the CT60 board from Falcon, It's seated to.

This is not mine, I'll try to do this as help for a friend (Jake / Depression).

So - I finally managed to find out, how to boot to F030 mode (yes, took hours to find the information) - It's a jumper to pins 3&4 in the pin row, where you connect your JTAG-cable.

I managed to upgrade to boot tos to 2.01 and machine boots fine after that. But when I try to update the ABEnnnnn.jed and SDRnnnnn.jed, I keep getting this information continuously from Flash tool:
JTAG device error !
ABE60, SDR60 ot CTPCI
not found.
[ Cancel ]

What I might be doing wrong? The 74HC125 gets the power from one floppy connector of the power. It doesn't matter, if memory is on/off.
I'm not sure, but comparing to pics, I found from other upgraders, this doesn't say anything about ABE/SDR-version.

Do I need to revert back to some earlier version and start all from the beginning? (I got this board like "in the middle of the process")
--
Emphii/Extream
Plain 14MB F030 with 2GB (was 4GB) CF-modification (mem from Lynxman,thx man)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: CT60, updating ABE and/or SDR, JTAG device error !

Postby wongck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 am

Pity the wiki is not showing, there was a page on how to flash ABE/SDR.

Is your falcon turn on when you flash ?
It needs to be powered on so that the card is working.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:47 am

I'm not sure whether I understand you right -- but you can't update ABE/SDR from the same Falcon, IIRC. You can update the TOS, yes, but ABE/SDR needs an update to either disconnected CT60 or from another Falcon.

See https://mikrosk.github.io/ct60tos/CT60/ ... update.htm:

Do not unplug CT60/63 to program ABE from the Falcon

Solder a 1 to 10K resistor between pin #1 & #10 of one of the three 74LVC245A chips. When launching FLASH060 from 030 mode, NVDI must be running to avoid Blitter to be used by the system ! Now, you will not have to touch the CT...to program from the Falcon // port.

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:53 am

mikro wrote:I'm not sure whether I understand you right -- but you can't update ABE/SDR from the same Falcon, IIRC. You can update the TOS, yes, but ABE/SDR needs an update to either disconnected CT60 or from another Falcon.

See https://mikrosk.github.io/ct60tos/CT60/ ... update.htm:

Do not unplug CT60/63 to program ABE from the Falcon

Solder a 1 to 10K resistor between pin #1 & #10 of one of the three 74LVC245A chips. When launching FLASH060 from 030 mode, NVDI must be running to avoid Blitter to be used by the system ! Now, you will not have to touch the CT...to program from the Falcon // port.

As long as the above mentioned resistor is in place, you can program ABE/SDR from the same machine, in 030 mode of course.
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

Emphii
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Emphii » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks pals for answering this quickly.

Wongck: I was frustrated with the wiki as well, but I'm used to read emails with ctrl+u as well ;) so, there was no problems to look at the source. The Falcon is the same, but booted to 030-mode. Power goes through the CT60-card, so I think I can say Yes, it's on (unless you prove otherwise :) )

Mikro: I did that soldering and pin and trace case (PCB of first CT60 (2003)) was done earlier. I also tried to do this, that I took the CT60 out from the Falcon, booted the Falcon, prepared it for flashing, powered on the CT60 and .. No, Can't find CT60 blah blah blah..

The JTAG device is the same as this, "Other way : make the cable yourself", document describes.

I tried with my own Falcon too and there were no success as well. First it complained that it can't find CT60 blah blah blah and now I don't remember what it did say, when I tried to make upgrade from there. Hmm..

Also I need to solve another problem that existed right after I pressed enter in first message. I found that doctor prog (ctrl+alt+sh+sh). With P it blaimed something about some firmware (it went off the screen very quickly) and black screen was ready. :| In that case I decided, I need Z-vitamines. Probably I know, what I'm doing when I get back to home at evening. :)
--
Emphii/Extream

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 am

This is indeed suspicious then. Are you sure your parallel port is working OK? That could be the reason. Also I'd check different FLASH.APP versions, just to be sure: https://github.com/mikrosk/ct60tos/releases

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:45 am

Ah Ok, I flash from my Windoze. So I do not know about flashing from F030 itself.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Emphii
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Emphii » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:04 pm

First of all, reflashing tos, CT60 woke alive.

Mikro, I'm pretty sure that parallel port is fine, at least in my own Falcon. Still I get the same error as in first message.

btw. that abe/sdr version info I meant, is in boot, like here https://nokturnal.pl/home/atari/ct60_firmware_upgrade in the end. Should it be available, if I want to upgrade them with Flash060 ? Should I try to install these ABE_V5M & SDR_V5E before V7 ?
--
Emphii/Extream

Emphii
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Emphii » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Ok - I'll answer to myself. That ABE_V5 & SDR_V5 didn't install either.

I decided to give up with from same Falcon, from Falcon to Falcon and go to PC to Falcon.

I changed the pin 10 to pin 13 in parallel cable as docs says vice versa. I dl'ed Xilinx Lab Tools part (as I didn't want to dl gigs), I prepared my old notebook with parallel cable and installed that Xilinx software to it. I have to mention that laptop runs Win10. Even I try 32-bit or 64-bit version, it says No, no connection to the cable.

Now it's time for Z-vitamines but later on with bright eyes (hopefully).

If you have any extra hint, like "put it back to 10 and never change it again" or driver solution, I'd be glad to read about it.
--
Emphii/Extream

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:31 pm

I flashed my Ct63/CTPCI from Win 10 and it worked.
I followed the Win 10 hack from this link http://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontr ... -8-64-bit/
It is for Win 8 but also works for Win 10. Without the hack it was not able to communicate with the chips.
If you done the hack and still not able to communicate, then may be something else is wrong.

Good luck.

Emphii
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Emphii » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 pm

Ok - A little update now.

Jake visited at me and bring his CTPCI and other cards with him. We tried several compositions, from itself, from my Falcon and from PC, no-one did not succeed.

With PC we tried to change the parallelport type bi-directional, ECP and EPP, no - Cable not found.

We measured the cabels and all get contact all the way to IC, power gave 5V to red cable at floppy connector, but no.

Last thing we tried, we put the parallel cable to Falcon, where the CT60 was seated (cable was in "pc mode") and the message changes similar to; CT60 not powered on (or JTAG cable is in PC mode).

Here we stopped - Apparently we were not going to get it work.

Only questions we can make any more, just for the future:
- Should the CTPCI be connected when upgrading ABE and SDR?
- Can upgrade be made, if boot tos is 2.01? (we also tried with version 1.03)
- Does NVRAM battery need to be in good condition? (This one was clearly died)
- It CT60 boot says "keyboard error", but kb works fine, has this something to do with this? (Error could be caused by NVRAM battery or kb wasn't original Falcon kb, but ST/E kb)

That link, what Wongck suggested, were not tested by me/us - And Win10 64bit is installed in the PC, what we used for upgrade testing.

Jake is going to test this one (or several) time(s) at home, he have older win-versions in use.

But that unsuccesful upgrading from Falcon to Falcon to inside same Falcon was a little disappointment to us.

This case is in status - unresolved - probably forever. Thank you very much everyone, who contributed this far with this.
--
Emphii/Extream

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:10 am

Emphii wrote:The JTAG device is the same as this, "Other way : make the cable yourself", document describes.

I think this must be the culprit then. The only difference to your steps I had done in the past is that I'd bought a new one and just connected the pins. Maybe the schematics is wrong, maybe you overlooked something.

Latz
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Latz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 am

Hi,

mikro wrote:I think this must be the culprit then. The only difference to your steps I had done in the past is that I'd bought a new one and just connected the pins. Maybe the schematics is wrong, maybe you overlooked something.

Mikro is right, depending to all your tests the cable must be the problem. But the schematics are correct, i created a PCB layout for the cable
based on the schematics in the doc years ago.
Did you perhaps forget to bridge the pins 8 + 11 in parallel connector?

Emphii wrote:Only questions we can make any more, just for the future:
- Should the CTPCI be connected when upgrading ABE and SDR?
- Can upgrade be made, if boot tos is 2.01? (we also tried with version 1.03)
- Does NVRAM battery need to be in good condition? (This one was clearly died)
- It CT60 boot says "keyboard error", but kb works fine, has this something to do with this? (Error could be caused by NVRAM battery or kb wasn't original Falcon kb, but ST/E kb)

- Updating always worked correct here with CTPCI connected (in 030 mode, flashing from the Falcon where the CT6* is seated).
- I always flashed the files in this order (if this matters anyway): ABE, SDR, TOS, CTPCI.
- A dead NVRAM can cause the weirdest problems in Falcons...

Latz
Falcon/CT60 90MHz, 14+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 80GB IDE HD, DVD-RW.
Falcon/CT63 95 MHz, 4+128 MB RAM, CTPCI/Radeon 9250/RTL8139, Carte Eiffel+LCD, 80GB IDE HD, CD-RW.

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”