Almost there... (XaAES crash and Mint reboot)

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Almost there... (XaAES crash and Mint reboot)

Postby leech » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:08 pm

So I have the Falcon booting in 060 mode, I installed VanillaMiNT on it (060 version) and after Joska's hint of XaAES crashing if you use RGB modes, I created C:\mint\xa_video.cnf (with 'video = 26' ) and it now gets up to XaAES and Process at the top bar, but then right under I have;

Code: Select all

exception 10 for AESSYS pc:FEB25842 addr:FEB25842

At that stage the mouse moves, but nothing else works.

Interestingly enough, the boot up sequence sometimes says the CTCM is not found, and other times it shows the correct 66.0Mhz.

My memory currently says it's CL3 and that it is unsupported, so I ordered some crucial memory that actually shows CL2 on the sticker (8 chips per side, just like the one I have now.)

At least I'm kind of getting there. I can drop to normal TOS, but it's in ST Low, and if I try to switch resolutions, it gives me a memory dump and locks up.

Suggestions (beyond waiting for the CL2 memory?)
Last edited by leech on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Almost there... (XaAES crash and

Postby joska » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:17 pm

Change boot videomode to a VGA mode using ct60conf.cpx and reboot.

And you *are* using NVDI, right? With nvdi.prg starting before mint.prg in the autofolder?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:00 pm

I also get that CTCM not found when i randomly reset the computer, after 2 or 3 resets it displays CTCM properly.
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 pm

joska wrote:Change boot videomode to a VGA mode using ct60conf.cpx and reboot.

And you *are* using NVDI, right? With nvdi.prg starting before mint.prg in the autofolder?

Ah, so I had previously thought I'd used autosort to make nvidia.prg run before mint060.prg, but I hadn't hit 'resort'. I should also point out that I can't get the control panel to load, since it crashes on XaAES before I can get a menu to work.

Now that I have, it looks like nvdi.prg is crashing on me the first time it boots. Then second time it boots it gets up to the same spot, except this time it
adds

pid 0 (MiNT): Operating system killed
FATAL ERROR. You must reboot the system.

Edit: Looks like t hat really only happened twice (crashing of nvdi.prg), but it still ends with the 'reboot the system' error. I did try enabling the step by step start up of Mint, but unfortunately it just hangs on 'installing keyboard', until I hit a key a bunch of times, then it spews forth some errors, then back to the XaAES error.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Almost there... (XaAES crash and Mint reboot)

Postby joska » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Did you make sure that the BOOT video mode - not XaAES video mode - is a VGA mode? Also, what happens if you let the TT-RAM-test finish? Does the TT-RAM pass the test?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:10 pm

joska wrote:Did you make sure that the BOOT video mode - not XaAES video mode - is a VGA mode? Also, what happens if you let the TT-RAM-test finish? Does the TT-RAM pass the test?

Unfortunately, I have to report the same -- I really don't know what's going on. I have NVRAM set to VGA, booting on VGA and yet seeing this error. What is really strange because I could swear it worked for 030 in VGA.

I'll try to set it from CT60CONF.CPX but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:08 am

leech wrote:Ah, so I had previously thought I'd used autosort to make nvidia.prg run before mint060.prg, but I hadn't hit 'resort'. I should also point out that I can't get the control panel to load, since it crashes on XaAES before I can get a menu to work.

I think it is obvious that you can also get to the control panel in TOS, since you mention TOS is working.
leech wrote:Now that I have, it looks like nvdi.prg is crashing on me the first time it boots. Then second time it boots it gets up to the same spot, except this time it
adds

Edit: Looks like t hat really only happened twice (crashing of nvdi.prg), but it still ends with the 'reboot the system' error. I did try enabling the step by step start up of Mint, but unfortunately it just hangs on 'installing keyboard', until I hit a key a bunch of times, then it spews forth some errors, then back to the XaAES error.

Just make sure you can boot to MINT & XaAES without NVDI.
I have seen NVDI corrupted causing issue.
(Other gotcha is forgetting to rename the SYS files but I think you do not have a graphic card).
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:11 am

mikro wrote:
joska wrote:Did you make sure that the BOOT video mode - not XaAES video mode - is a VGA mode? Also, what happens if you let the TT-RAM-test finish? Does the TT-RAM pass the test?

Unfortunately, I have to report the same -- I really don't know what's going on. I have NVRAM set to VGA, booting on VGA and yet seeing this error. What is really strange because I could swear it worked for 030 in VGA.

I'll try to set it from CT60CONF.CPX but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Set the boot video to VGA in CT60CONF and then use video=-1 (IIRC, that mean to use the current rez or may be just comment out video= line).
FYI, When I was using VidelInside, I used video=27. Always seems to work for me, so may be you can try that.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:04 am

wongck wrote:
leech wrote:Ah, so I had previously thought I'd used autosort to make nvidia.prg run before mint060.prg, but I hadn't hit 'resort'. I should also point out that I can't get the control panel to load, since it crashes on XaAES before I can get a menu to work.

I think it is obvious that you can also get to the control panel in TOS, since you mention TOS is working.

TOS 'working' is relative. I can hold down Control and it'll skip Auto folder, but that leaves me in low resolution with nothing loaded, and then if I try to change resolutions, the system shuts down with a crash.

I've been able to get it to boot to medium resolution by booting off of an hddriver disk I have in my HxC.

leech wrote:Now that I have, it looks like nvdi.prg is crashing on me the first time it boots. Then second time it boots it gets up to the same spot, except this time it
adds

Just make sure you can boot to MINT & XaAES without NVDI.
I have seen NVDI corrupted causing issue.
(Other gotcha is forgetting to rename the SYS files but I think you do not have a graphic card).

Hmm, I thought NVDI was pretty much required. I'll give that a shot.

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:26 am

Just tried it with nothing in the auto folder, and got this (at least the mouse works, right?) Hopefully the crash output is useful to someone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 am

wongck wrote:Just make sure you can boot to MINT & XaAES without NVDI.

This is really a terrible advice.

That NVDI requirement is there not for fun, CT60 can't patch Blitter accesses so as soon as the OS asks underlying VDI for something and that something uses the Blitter -> crash. NVDI replaces all routines with software-only blitting.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 am

mikro wrote:
wongck wrote:Just make sure you can boot to MINT & XaAES without NVDI.

This is really a terrible advice.

That NVDI requirement is there not for fun, CT60 can't patch Blitter accesses so as soon as the OS asks underlying VDI for something and that something uses the Blitter -> crash. NVDI replaces all routines with software-only blitting.

IIRC, this was only required when you flash your firmware.

May be this is the OS version that expand TOS from ROM into RAM, that needs this ?

Good luck, then.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:14 am

wongck wrote:IIRC, this was only required when you flash your firmware.

No, it's true in all cases where you have TT-RAM in a Falcon. NVDI is also required when using XaAES, unless you're using a graphics card of some sort.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:16 am

Ah yes, Joska Thanks for reminding.
There was tons of these "NVDI needed for XaAES" on the Mint list some years back.
I was just going off to look for those posting.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:23 am

mikro wrote:I'll try to set it from CT60CONF.CPX but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

It seems like CT TOS does not use the video setting from NV-RAM at all, even when "replace NV-RAM" is unchecked in ct60conf.cpx. On my Falcon NV-RAM was set to VGA, 80 column, no linedoubling, 2 colours. But when booting in 060-mode it used RGB, 80 column, linedoubling, 16 colours. I had to set a VGA videomode using ct60conf.cpx.
Jo Even

mikro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mikro » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

joska wrote:It seems like CT TOS does not use the video setting from NV-RAM at all, even when "replace NV-RAM" is unchecked in ct60conf.cpx. On my Falcon NV-RAM was set to VGA, 80 column, no linedoubling, 2 colours. But when booting in 060-mode it used RGB, 80 column, linedoubling, 16 colours. I had to set a VGA videomode using ct60conf.cpx.

I'm getting lost in this issue for good. For me, I have VGA/80/2 colours/no doubling, Replace NVRAM off in CT60CONF.CPX and still it crashes on that error. I verified NVRAM settings, they match.

When on Earth this bug has been introduced? I'm going to test some older revisions, EasyMiNT is equally hostile on me, same for latest snapshots from github.

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:39 am

This is odd... I have no problems with XaAES after switching to a VGA bootmode. We should compare our setups in detail. I'll send you a mail.
Jo Even

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Mine should be a pretty fresh install, except maybe the cpx folder, but I don't know if it's getting that far in the boot process.

The package I downloaded on Friday was VanillaMiNT-060-1-19-cur-full.zip

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Since the Mighy Sonic days, NVDI was the only way to buffer DMA as well I'd thought. HD Driver for years has had that feature, but never had reliable SCSI function. Same true with the Afterburner. Didn't even try running the 060 cards without it. TT doesn't have that issue as far as I recall. Also remember the Centurbo stuck TT ram at a different address than other TT Ram equipped machines (if nothing but a fan and mouse with moving parts and CF drive, is an Atari still a machine ? )
Darn cell phone....

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”