SuperVidel soon?

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: SuperVidel soon?

Postby leech » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Yeah, I knew that much. I also recall reading that Willy was planning on producing them after the run of CT60e was finished and everyone had theirs in their hands, but I don't think he's done with that, right? last I had heard he was still sending a ton of them out.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:07 pm

mzry wrote:I emailed nature and they said that Willy asked permission to make new ones and they gave the thumbs up. So I guess we can be hopeful.

this sounds like good news! i am positive Willy will be making Supervidels soon!! i'm already to be on the list!!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 pm

shoggoth wrote:I wish people would support the actual developers first.

That's not really fair I think. People are not postponing their purchases to be mean, but because they can't afford it right now. Back when Rodolphe produced the CT60/63 I just could not afford it. Saved up, Rodolphe said he wasn't going to make any more CT's so I bought a Milan. Then Rodolphe released the CT63... Started to save up again, then Rodolphe stopped making the CT63 too.

I don't know why Nature doesn't want to manufacture any more SuperVidels now that Willy is "flooding" the market with the CT60e. They would sell more now than ever, Falcon owners are grown-ups now with money burning in their pockets.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:43 pm

810 dollars worth burning in their pockets? :P
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:01 pm

leech wrote:810 dollars worth burning in their pockets? :P

Sure, person is using it now while other who don't have just having their tongue dangling. :lol:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:30 pm

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:50 am

I bought stuff from DL and it working great for me.
I am sure it's just a simple hw fix.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:48 pm

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm betting it's because it's a really old firmware and needs to be updated to something the CT60e is happy with.

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:08 am

leech wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I'm betting it's because it's a really old firmware and needs to be updated to something the CT60e is happy with.

any updates on the supervidel leech?
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:13 am

Ordered a Xilinx JTAG programmer. waiting for it to arrive.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Leech, if I were you I'd be annoyed as hell. That SV should have been tested and confirmed as working, as far as I know you paid a damn high price for it.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:46 pm

mzry wrote:Leech, if I were you I'd be annoyed as hell. That SV should have been tested and confirmed as working, as far as I know you paid a damn high price for it.

There are plenty of things a user can do which affects how well the device will work.

There are several unknowns in this case. For example, the user has tried - and failed - to update the card. It is unknown wether or not this was performed with or without bus filter jumpers. A bad firmware update bricks the card until it is reprogrammed using JTAG.

The card was tested before it was shipped to the original owner of the card. It has since been re-sold to a new user, and that user is getting support.

So mzry, what exactly should we be annoyed about here? This is not a PCI Express card in a PC. It's a flaky motherboard from 1992, equipped with some low volume accelerator hardware, and a custom graphics card of which less than 150 were made. Plenty of things can do wrong, and it is by definition questionable wether or someone can be blamed for it.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:58 pm

Agreed Shoggoth. It's more sad really. But it sounds like there could be light at the end of the tunnel. What's worse is ordering a 1300 dollar tablet, having the fan be DoA, Sending it back to ASUS for an RMA, stating that the fan being dead caused an overheating of the screen so there is a white spot in the the upper middle...and then having it returned with a fixed fan, same bright spot, and the screen is coming away from the tablet... On the plus side of that, it means I will have an easier time of taking it apart if the fan dies. On the down side, I have to keep trying to push it back in...

Sometimes we're just lucky with hardware....

trecool
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby trecool » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:02 pm

mzry wrote:Leech, if I were you I'd be annoyed as hell. That SV should have been tested and confirmed as working, as far as I know you paid a damn high price for it.

So true... I feel sorry for your trouble and all.

shoggoth wrote:So mzry, what exactly should we be annoyed about here? This is not a PCI Express card in a PC.

No it's not, we all know that, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't work while stated never used or tested.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Okay, I've been around these parts for quite some time and I hope
everyone knows me well enough by now to realize that if Jason can't
get the board to work at the end of the day, I will take it back and
refund his money.

Not something I *have* to do, but it's just the way I roll.

If I can be criticized for anything, it would be that I did not
put the board into use and try it out. Having purchased it
brand spanking new, and never used, I guess I made a
human error - assuming that it would just work.

Still got my fingers crossed that the JTAG will fix the
problem...
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:36 pm

trecool wrote:

So true... I feel sorry for your trouble and all.

shoggoth wrote:So mzry, what exactly should we be annoyed about here? This is not a PCI Express card in a PC.

No it's not, we all know that, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't work while stated never used or tested.

Who says it doesn't work? The user has a failed firmware update on his hands, this has most likely bricked the device until it's reprogrammed. Who's to blame? Correct answer: circumstances.

Also - again - this is not a PC. As a user of this type of hardware - (a stew of old + new hardware produced on a hobby basis) you're required to put some effort in it yourself. It's not as easy as "insert board, install drivers, go!", because that's not what this scenario looks like. Let's say the board starts failing because your motherboard has bad capacitora (due to aging), and this problem propagates through the system in a way that only manifests itself when using an additional device such as this card? Who's to blame?

Point: The definition of "works" is a lot more complex than you might expect.

And again, the guy is getting support, despite buying this second hand.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Yeah, this is totally awesome that I'm getting support, And Dark Lord has been great. Shoggoth has been great, everything has been great except for my terrible luck.

If I were to hazard a guess at this point, it might be that I did things in a wonky order, and possibly trying to update it via MiNT was what caused the issue in the first place. Should have done straight TOS, which I most likely tried too late.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 pm

leech wrote:Yeah, this is totally awesome that I'm getting support, And Dark Lord has been great. Shoggoth has been great, everything has been great except for my terrible luck.

If I were to hazard a guess at this point, it might be that I did things in a wonky order, and possibly trying to update it via MiNT was what caused the issue in the first place. Should have done straight TOS, which I most likely tried too late.

Still wonder about those jumpers, btw

trecool

Postby trecool » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:57 pm

...so...the one million dollar question: any new batch of SuperVidel soon?
I had asked Willy at some point (about 2 months ago) and never responded to this particular question.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:02 pm

I posted a while back in this thread, the last I had heard from Willy is that he was still working through the CT60e delivery, and was going to work on the SuperVidel afterward. I kind of assumed by that statement that it'd probably be another year+, thought that is completely guessing on my part.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:05 pm

shoggoth wrote:
leech wrote:Yeah, this is totally awesome that I'm getting support, And Dark Lord has been great. Shoggoth has been great, everything has been great except for my terrible luck.

Still wonder about those jumpers, btw

So the only jumper on the SuperVidel is the J7 (I think the JP7 is where the VGA clock sync cable goes?). The jumper is present, or I get a black screen. From everything I had read, you only should remove that if you have the Svethlana, or CTPCI, right? Though I'd read other people got it to work with removing the jumper, so it's kind of confusing.

I'm going to attempt (again) to fiddle with the CosmosEx in my Falcon, and verify 100% if the monitor detects a signal of any kind (I thought it had, but remained black, but I'll find out for sure.)

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:13 pm

No, no one knows.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:37 pm

In the mean time, not that the display is anything like the SV output, those "living" with 640^480 resolution could have their appetite wet using the inexpensive SCART/RGB upscaler box to HDMI. They are quite flexible, work both NTSC/PAL. Not the hot setup for DTP, one of the VIDEL clock boosters should take care of that for fast mono display.
Works great on the Jag and all other computers with RGB video. Audio can also be inserted into the stream.
I've only tried a few demos using a SCART Falcon cable to a 50" OLED. Pretty impressive, IMHO.
A while back several threads we started to survey interest in Falcon "NOVA" reproduced adapters, as well as VME for the MSTE/TT. Purchased on from IDEK for the TT a week back. I feel grateful he and others have taken the time to develop both hardware and software for those of us that sat on their hands years ago when widely available via distribution. I chose the Falcon setup over the VME at the time, AIRC, cost was close to $500. Add the two software packages for flat bed scanners, quite the investment. With Doug Little and Computerinsel delivering updated drivers constantly, paved the way to availability for so many years down the road.

Not sure where I was going with that, other than it's a mouthful, offers alternatives. Oh, and maybe a slight hint of patience.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Yeah, I got one of the 3-in-1 adapters for the Falcon, that gave me 800x600. And have been talking to frank.lukas about getting some VME adapters for the ET4000, and even checked with Microlabs about creating some boards for them, though they are looking at 300 each, unless we can get higher numbers on our orders.

I've thought quite a few times about getting some boxes to upscale the output for my Jag. It looks pretty terrible over composite on my 55" TV.

hedning
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby hedning » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:01 pm

I hope there will be some news about this soon.
...:::] Genesis Project - Accept No Limits [:::...

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”