CT60 TOS source reloaded

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

CT60 TOS source reloaded

Postby mikro » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:59 pm

Hi guys,

thanks to the upcoming CT60e release and one innocent remark from Willy about my CT60 project at http://www.atariforge.org/gf/project/ctpci I finally decided to migrate and clean the mess up there.

And since I wanted to do it right, I threw a few bonuses in:

- ALL publicly known releases included, from the early alpha without any version via CTPCI's 1.04a to the la(te)st 2.01 (I wanted to include also FireBee's FireTOS offspring but as usual, the ACP project structure/dealings is complicated and lengthy so I couldn't do that at this moment)
- all commits and branches are correctly time stamped by the date of the respective release
- all authors are correctly set
- every "official" commit has a full changelog included (actually, it's pretty funny to observe Didier's idea of summary and the actual number of lines changed ;-))

Apart from that, the repository contains my changes (1.04 version adapted for cross compilation with many cleanups and refactorings) and mainly Patrice's changes and additions -- pciutils, poweroff tool, backported fixes from 1.04a to 1.03c, ct60 "BIOS" (setup screen) ...

Right now, the head points to TOS 2.01 which has source code removed (Didier's decision after the 1.04e release) so don't get fooled and look two commits earlier. ;)

I eventually plan to clean it up a little bit more, merge all the branches, include Willy's changes, maybe even fix some things but it's a little bit hard to do right now as I can't test it.

Oh, and where? Here --> https://github.com/mikrosk/ct60tos

I bet you didn't see this coming. ;)

marss
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: CT60 TOS source reloaded

Postby marss » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:32 pm

super cool

willy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby willy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks Mikro.

Few days a go I did a try and your branch is compiling flawless using newest m68k-atari-mint toolchain under cygwin. But didn't have time to test if it is working.

I was not sure what path should i take with CT60e, but finally i decided to use 1.04-mikro branch, remove any PCI support, and will adopt some features from Patrice Mandin (need to examine that) + new features of CT60e + some of my ideas.

So, let's see ;)

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:25 pm

Great :)

instream
Nature
Nature

Postby instream » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:32 pm

With the SuperVidel we have stayed with 1.03c, since (the original) 1.04 contains some bugs where TOS assumes that since the SV screen resides outside ST-RAM, the system must contain a CTPCI+Rage board... This results in an enormous font during boot. Don't remember if there where also more severe bugs in 1.04, but I have a faint memory that that was the case, since we couldn't use it. But if you have removed the PCI support, then maybe that bug is also removed. :)

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:15 am

Willy: no worries, no need to remove anything. There are targets (in my branch) which are PCI-less, namely CT60_TOS in Makefile. I had spent a fair amount of time to make everything great again. ;)

Instream: indeed, it would be nice to test whether the PCI-less version of 1.04 still suffers from new bugs, if that's the case, we can make 1.03c as the base and commit all stuff on the top of it (thanks to git this isn't going to be that painful).

Thanks to git and proper history tracking we can easily see which TOS files / patches were changed:

https://github.com/mikrosk/ct60tos/comm ... 64d671fcf3 (1.03c -> 1.04 pre-alpha)
https://github.com/mikrosk/ct60tos/comm ... ab9e2392b2 (1.04 pre-alpha -> 1.04 alpha)

If we focus solely on flash.tos/ without pci, coldfire etc parts, it's actually not that hard to track.

alienkidmj12
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby alienkidmj12 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:58 pm

doesnt mean much to me really, but it rocks that you are all working so hard to pull this all together ;) :cheers:

Beetle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Beetle » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:17 pm

I'd like to have an 1.04 without PCI support/drivers but with CTPCI IDE support. Since SV is my GFX solution of choice, but the 2x faster IDE would be awesome. Would that even be possible?
What Atari do you want to modify today?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Beetle wrote:I'd like to have an 1.04 without PCI support/drivers but with CTPCI IDE support. Since SV is my GFX solution of choice, but the 2x faster IDE would be awesome. Would that even be possible?

Does the CTPCI work along with SV nicely? Wow.

I think it would be possible with not so much effort -- CTPCI IDE support seems to be handled in sdram.S and pcibios.S. Most of the job would be to strip all the rest -- fVDI, Radeon, ... initialisation.

Only problem for me is my inability to test it (I don't even have a CT60 down under, not to speak about SV/CTPCI). So if you're volunteering to flash several, possibly broken, TOS images, I can take a look and do the builds for you. ;)

willy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby willy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:59 pm

Finally i recreated a build environment to build cpx. I had to peek in very dusty parts of Internet and use some reverse engineering ;)

Now i can build everything.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Thanks Mikro!

I just "cleaning" my Atari setup. I am happy that I we have sorted and verified sources!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:20 pm

willy wrote:Finally i recreated a build environment to build cpx. I had to peek in very dusty parts of Internet and use some reverse engineering ;)

Now i can build everything.

Would you care to share / make a pull request? I did some experiments as well (and yeah, obtaining the ancient PureC mintlib was fun ;)) but I was lazy to setup everything to the end.

willy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby willy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:51 pm

You can download sources here:
http://jil.guru/files/20161207-progpack/

My sources are spread over whole HDD ... so i decided to make a pack of essential parts that are working:

libs.7z - mintlib v.44 + neccesary includes + mt_aes.lib
PURE_C.7z - with precompiled libs, so you do not need to compile them.
flash060.e.7z - modified flasher. should work with any 29f800 bottom bootblock flash. Checked in 030 and 060 mode.
ct60conf.7z - ct60conf.cpx - modified and stripped down for CF/PCI/Radeon (not @100%), recreated cpx.h and added compat.h - instead of modyfying pure_C include files. It is just entry point to further programming.

Everything got compiled and it seems to be working. To compile .cpx you need to compile in this order:
ct60temp.prj
conver.prj
run convert.prg
ct60conf.prj
run cpxlink.ttp and give ct60conf.cp as a parameter. It wil make ct60conf.cpx and put in into /cpx folder. Does not work in aranym with afros (err 026 ?)

When i finish my work and check my concepts, i will merge it with git sources. It will be a whole new branch 1.05 (hope).
Enjoy.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks Willy, will take a look!

willy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby willy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:48 pm

I examined source code of 1.04 ... and it is unusable. At least for me. It is too integrated and depended of PCI/Coldfire. It will be much faster and easier to start with 1.03c and merge with best features of 1.04 :mrgreen:

fx. it crashes right after boot after i click on OK. 1.03c and 2.01 are working fine.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:53 pm

willy wrote:I examined source code of 1.04 ... and it is unusable. At least for me. It is too integrated and depended of PCI/Coldfire. It will be much faster and easier to start with 1.03c and merge with best features of 1.04 :mrgreen:

fx. it crashes right after boot after i click on OK. 1.03c and 2.01 are working fine.

Hmm, this is strange.

First, make sure you use https://github.com/mikrosk/ct60tos/tree/1.04-mikro/tos. Then if you do "make ct60tos.bin" I guarantee you that the pci folder wont be even touched, you can safely delete it.

Also, do you see crashes also with the original 1.04a? https://github.com/mikrosk/ct60tos/raw/ ... t60tos.bin

willy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby willy » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Yes. It makes tos image without PCI drivers and i use the right source, but there is so many references in the sources ... system is checking something pci related at almost every system call.

I will check the original 1.04a tomorrow.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:37 pm

Thank you. It's crucial to know whether I screw up something or it's something generic. I vaguely remember running both 1.04a and 1.04a-mikro on my CT60 (however I'm not sure whether it was without the CTPCI) and looking in the logs I'd say the PCI-less version must work for sure.

If possible (and in case the original version works), try 32-bit m68k-atari-mint-gcc, just recently I've discovered that 64-bit cross compiler produces different (but still valid, at least it seems so) code! This was fixed sometimes after 4.6.4, though.

EDIT: Btw, I have a cleaned up version in the works, without all the crazy #ifdefs.

willy
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby willy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:48 pm

IT seems to be a 'native' feature. The original TOS 1.04a do exactly the same.

1.03c and 2.01 are ok.

I'am using 32bit m68k-atari-mint toolchain inside 32bit cygwin inside 64bit windows ;)
And it seems to produce right binaries.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:59 am

Good to know, thanks for the test.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:51 am

Nubie question...
Might be an old topic, is the an ttp or otherwise utility that places the libraries into their respective folders, or do ya'll just do it by hand/experience?

Also, are you flashing the CT using the Falcon utility, or USB programmer from a PC?

TIA, that would be enough to get me in trouble. Last year before everything was boxed for moving, purchased a CT Falcon with a complete MiNT installation. I've previously only use MiNT for it's multasking.

Beetle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Beetle » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:24 pm

mikro wrote:
Beetle wrote:I'd like to have an 1.04 without PCI support/drivers but with CTPCI IDE support. Since SV is my GFX solution of choice, but the 2x faster IDE would be awesome. Would that even be possible?

Does the CTPCI work along with SV nicely? Wow.

I think it would be possible with not so much effort -- CTPCI IDE support seems to be handled in sdram.S and pcibios.S. Most of the job would be to strip all the rest -- fVDI, Radeon, ... initialisation.

Only problem for me is my inability to test it (I don't even have a CT60 down under, not to speak about SV/CTPCI). So if you're volunteering to flash several, possibly broken, TOS images, I can take a look and do the builds for you. ;)

Yes, i would try such test builds, of course.

Some years ago on Outline party, when my Falcon still had an CTPCI/Radeon setup, i was honored to try one of the SuperVidel prototypes on top of my CTPCI. I removed the Radeon from the PCI slot and connected the screen to SV, the system booted up without major problems. My MiNT setup was of course tweaked for Radeon, so i needed some reboots to get it right. Then it basically worked fine, with only some minor faults, like Aniplayer showing garbage, wrong color palettes on desktop because CTPCI-TOS assumed Radeon gfx (video RAM outside ST RAM -> must be Radeon). Most of the trouble disappeared when i reflashed CT-TOS 1.03c. Then, of course, i lost access to CTPCI IDE.

Greetings and nice christmas days to everyone,
Stefan

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:18 am

OK Stefan, I'll try to find some time and backport the IDE setup into 1.03c (thanks to Willy we know that 1.04a doesn't work on plain CT60 so it doesn't make sense to fight with removal of all the CTPCI stuff).

After that, I might try to backport more stuff from 1.04a, but then again, someone must be able to test it for me. ;)

Beetle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Beetle » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:59 am

For such tests, and for developing stuff for this platform, ct60 emulation in Hatari would be a cool feature.
But as i said, i'm not afraid to flash your builds. In the meantime i can try to fit the CTPCI inside my Falcon.
its going to be a very tight fit, i'll have to remove the top side ct-bus pins of the uppermost upgrade,
and the down facing pins of the CTPCI will interfere with the EtherNAT...

Beetle
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Beetle » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Ok,

my CTPCI is a CTIDE now. PCI connector pins removed so it will fit on top of the Ethernat somehow.
If it works as desired, i can remove the upper pins, too, and the case top should fit again.

The USB connector is still touching the bottomside PCI bridge chip of the CTPCI.
I'll connect the USB wires directly.

Greets,
Beetle

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”