Questions on new Mint installation on Falcon

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Questions on new Mint installation on Falcon

Postby Gamer » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:21 pm

Hello,

I just installed Mint on my Falcon030 and have some questions. First of all, why is it taking up so much memory. I only have 3meg of memory out of the 16meg I have installed. Magic leaves me with 9meg. Why won't the fscheck.sh file load in. Mint keeps saying it cannot find it, but I know the path setting is correct.

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Questions on new Mint installation on Falcon

Postby Faucon2001 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:25 pm

You should have much more free memory, around 8-10 M excepted if you have loaded tons of accessories, auto programs, icons for your desktop, huge wallpaper, fonts with huge cache for NVDI ...
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:57 pm

fscheck.sh may be looking for the /etc/fstab file. Not sure if you updated that on your system.
You can also add the e2fsck check program with correct parameters into your MINT.CNF file instead.
Look at https://sites.google.com/site/probehous ... ising-mint for some hints on this.
(may be some other pages as well... https://sites.google.com/site/probehous ... filesystem )
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

trecool
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby trecool » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:06 am

I started with VanillaMint and I also tried Mint installaton mentioned on the above website. Just follow the instructions and you will have a proper FreeMint system.
I think you should do the same if new to Mint. Nothing technical to worry about and more time to play around, try new stuff.

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Gamer wrote:Hello,

I just installed Mint on my Falcon030 and have some questions. First of all, why is it taking up so much memory. I only have 3meg of memory out of the 16meg I have installed. Magic leaves me with 9meg. Why won't the fscheck.sh file load in. Mint keeps saying it cannot find it, but I know the path setting is correct.

Which version of Mint are you using exactly ? Mint/Freemint uses much more RAM than MagiC. So those figures are not surprising.
Also you may get a bit more free RAM by tweaking Mint config file and your hard drive driver cache settings.
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks guys for the information. I am using version 1.18.0 and can probably cut down on a lot of things. I will take your suggestions and report back on what happens. Thanks again.....

trecool

Postby trecool » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:26 am

Also try to avoid DHCP client and save some RAM.

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:17 pm

Ok, I tried a couple of things. I took away almost all of my acc and cpx files. That did not change my free memory at all. It was still
about 3meg free. I then tried not installing NVDI ( I have a lot of fonts). That got me up to about 5.2meg free. So now I know I have
a setting in either my Mint or aaes config files that are off.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:59 am

There's a folder named "img" in the c:\mint\xaaes directory that you may wish to disable (rename it or bin it).

This contains texture files which suck up a lot of RAM. They are pretty horrible without a good graphics card in any case.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:34 am

You can change NVDI font cache settings via its cpx.

Also which desktop are you using?
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:33 pm

Hello guys...

Well I am using the Jinnee Desktop and looking at the Xaaes task manager I can see it takes it a lot of memory. When I quit Jinnee the Xaaes task manager tells me that I have almost 9meg of memory. When I load Tera Desk, the Xaaes task manager tells me I have about 8.5meg of memory, but Tera Desk tells me I have only 4.5meg of ST Ram. When I try to load in Calamus SL 2015, it tells there is not enough memory, but Papyrus Gold loads just fine and it tells me I have almost 8meg of free memory.

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:18 pm

I just changed my AV server to Teradesk and brought it up from a cold boot and now I have about 7.5meg of memory and I can run everything I want. Teradesk is okay, but I may just to Thing. I will go back to Jinnee later. I have the CT63. Just have not gotten around to installing it. I tried some time ago and it wiped my C partition. Now I have the CF upgrade from Best and that is working great. I just may try another installation.

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Well I have installed Thing 1.5 and it seems to be working fine and I end up with 7meg of memory. Now I just need to get Sting working and also make some adjustments so my CD rom drive will be read. Extendos activates the drive, but Thing thinks it is not there.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:22 pm

ExtenDOS has a MiNT extension, see the setup ...

There is no need of STING, use MiNTNet for your Network Support.
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:36 pm

frank.lukas wrote:ExtenDOS has a MiNT extension, see the setup ...

There is no need of STING, use MiNTNet for your Network Support.

I believe you are correct. I have not used Mint since my Hades took a dive years ago. Things are slowly coming back to me as I run into
problems. Thanks for the response.

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:19 pm

I have just reinstalled Magic 5.2 with NVDI 5 on my Falcon : 11 MB free :-)
A Falcon even with 14 MB is a bit short for Mint, workable but far from full system potential.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:24 am

Gamer wrote:I just changed my AV server to Teradesk and brought it up from a cold boot and now I have about 7.5meg of memory and I can run everything I want. Teradesk is okay, but I may just to Thing. I will go back to Jinnee later. I have the CT63. Just have not gotten around to installing it. I tried some time ago and it wiped my C partition. Now I have the CF upgrade from Best and that is working great. I just may try another installation.

I use Teradesk for all my work. it is great.
Many bells and whistle from other desktop are really required (or may be rather I just got used to not using it :P ).

CT63 should not wipe out your partition. i am using a CT63/CTPCI and it works very solid.
Actually, I would ignore your lack of memory issue and instead install your CT63 and then put in up to 512MB SDRAM on it. :megaphone:
Then start on Mint. You just need a XFS for access CD ( I think it was spin.xfs .... I removed my cd drive long time ago when it gets too messy with CTPCI attachment etc... )
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 pm

wongck wrote:
Gamer wrote:I just changed my AV server to Teradesk and brought it up from a cold boot and now I have about 7.5meg of memory and I can run everything I want. Teradesk is okay, but I may just to Thing. I will go back to Jinnee later. I have the CT63. Just have not gotten around to installing it. I tried some time ago and it wiped my C partition. Now I have the CF upgrade from Best and that is working great. I just may try another installation.

I use Teradesk for all my work. it is great.
Many bells and whistle from other desktop are really required (or may be rather I just got used to not using it :P ).

CT63 should not wipe out your partition. i am using a CT63/CTPCI and it works very solid.
Actually, I would ignore your lack of memory issue and instead install your CT63 and then put in up to 512MB SDRAM on it. :megaphone:
Then start on Mint. You just need a XFS for access CD ( I think it was spin.xfs .... I removed my cd drive long time ago when it gets too messy with CTPCI attachment etc... )

I got the CD working. Roger Burrows said to put the UniMint file in the XFS folder. I found out it should be in the same area as the Mint.cnf. I do not know what happened with my CT63, but I am going to try it again. I imagine I did not have the auto folder setup correctly. I will back evertything up first though. If I can get it working, that would be great as I have PCI attachment also.

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”