68080 Apollo Core

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: 68080 Apollo Core

Postby joska » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 am

1st1 wrote:My personal experience with PMMU enabled on TT and ct60 is, that with that enabled, more software to crash than without. So PMMU support sounds a nice freature, but I idiot think, that many people will be unhappy enabling that memory protection feature in MiNT, when their favourite legacy GEM application then crashes.

I never disable memoryprotection. I even retired my fastest GEM computer - my Firebee - because of no memory protection. But what do I know, I have only 25 years of experience with MiNT.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

tjam
Atariator
Atariator

Re: 68080 Apollo Core

Postby tjam » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:40 pm

joska wrote:
1st1 wrote:My personal experience with PMMU enabled on TT and ct60 is, that with that enabled, more software to crash than without. So PMMU support sounds a nice freature, but I idiot think, that many people will be unhappy enabling that memory protection feature in MiNT, when their favourite legacy GEM application then crashes.

I never disable memoryprotection. I even retired my fastest GEM computer - my Firebee - because of no memory protection. But what do I know, I have only 25 years of experience with MiNT.

True... It sounds horrendous idea to run multitasking OS without memory protection. Sooner or later whole system will crash when buggy software with bad memory handling is used. Better to use single TOS for buggy legacy software.

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”