ct60 problems in GEM and MiNT

Discuss CT60/CT63, CTPCI, SuperVidel and EtherNAT hardware here.

Moderators: Mug UK, lp, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

sety
Retro freak
Retro freak

ct60 problems in GEM and MiNT

Postby sety » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:09 am

Hi,

I finally found a ct60 and I've installed it in my Falcon. It starts up okay but I'm getting the following problems.

GEM boots up okay but text is all scrambled, graphics such as icons and windows are all fine. The same goes for xboot.

MiNT kernel starts but hangs when it attempts to mount the FAT filesystem. (when I get home I'll comment that one out and see if it hangs trying to mount the ext2 fs)

I have NVDI5 installed, however I'm not sure if it's working. I'll reinstall it when I get home.

Am I reading Rodolphe's instructions correctly that I need to remove my clock patch in order for the ct60 to function correctly?

Thanks in advance,
Stuart

sety
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: ct60 problems in GEM and MiNT

Postby sety » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:51 am

I reinstalled NVDI 5 last night. Now it crashes with an access fault:

TOSCrash.JPG

I suspect I am dealing with more than one problem. I read somewhere that the boot partition needs to be <35Mb, is this true? Because mine is 1GB.

Thanks,
Stuart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 am

Let me bet - you're using the old XCONTROL.ACC. You need the patched version from ct60_404.lzh archive.

Remove everything from C: excepct HDDRIVER.SYS + installation of NVDI5.

P.S. No, a 1 GB partition is fine.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:14 am

I always just use 1022MB for my Falcon C: drive.
What's a couple meg short just for good measures... IIRC 1GB exact may caused issues. Can't remember where I read it now (may be i was dreaming lol )
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:30 am

NVDI 5 crashes occasionally with the same error on my CT60 during boot. I don't know why, it doesn't happen often enough to motivate me to figure it out.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Also try clearing the nvram. Sometimes pressing reset a few times helps too. And yes try everything Mikro pointed it. In regards to the clock patch, I don't know about ct60 original, but the ct60e works fine with a clock patch. You might want to use the SDMA patch that he points out in the ct60 blog.
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - SCSI2SD - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:53 pm

One of the last NVDI update files floating around has always given me issues.
Think I've stuck with 5.03 or lower. If you have a working NVDI with the correct sys files and, since using MiNT, correct paths, all should be golden. If NVDI is missing sys for the color depth you have set, it will looked jumbled, just as if they were missing from a Falcon video card installation. Delete your old desktop.inf file while you're at it. It's near "plug and play", the xcontrol and xboot are discussed at length in the CT is having issues section. I've booted the CT and SV using Atari's original MultiTOS disk, swapping out XControl and all works perfectly, with the ability to change SV resolution from the Falcon desktop.

Buffer. Sure leave it off if you don't care about bad SCSI writes......The buffer and CT and not specifically related. Rodolphe may of had one or two Falcons, with 3 or 4 developer group. There's a chance those Falcons did not need a clock patch. I'm betting the 1000 or so still in existence do. That, or Rodolphe didn't bother with continuous writes to the end of the bus where the SCSI IC is..
You can tell I'm a "clock patch" fan :)

sety
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sety » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 am

Also try clearing the nvram. Sometimes pressing reset a few times helps too. And yes try everything Mikro pointed it. In regards to the clock patch, I don't know about ct60 original, but the ct60e works fine with a clock patch. You might want to use the SDMA patch that he points out in the ct60 blog.

I should probably have mentioned that my NVRAM is long dead. It's never really effected the running of the 030, apart from forgetting its settings.
I've ordered a replacement for good measure.

I reversed the clock patch, it didn't change much except that my sound now works properly! Not sure why that is.

Changing the TOS ROM chip to v4.04 fixed the issue of scrambled text in TOS, but the machine still crashes if I enable NVDI. The NVDI I'm using is NVDI 5.03 from Exxos's website.

Thanks again!
Stuart

sety
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sety » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Okay so I ordered a Dallas NVRAM, next day delivery from Radio Spares at lunch time today; then I remembered that I already had one I got from exxos so decided I'll fit that when I get home from work. It was the right way to go!

So I get home today and see that my computer already has a Dallas NVRAM, so someone has repaired it before. Desoldering it was a *#*T of a job!

The exxos one is working really well, but I'm shelving CT60 stuff for a few days, I'm too tired and starting to make mistakes. When that Dallas arrives from RS tomorrow, it's going straight in the bin, as I never want to have to desolder one of those again. :)

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:49 pm

sety just fit an IC socket.. this way they are easy to change. I just want to confirm, is this the original ct60 you have, or the later ct60e.
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - SCSI2SD - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 pm

sety wrote:Desoldering it was a *#*T of a job!

When desoldering chips that you're not going to reuse you first cut them up with pliers so you can desolder and remove each leg individually. Much easier than removing the complete chip, and much smaller risk to damage the PCB.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 pm

mzry wrote:sety just fit an IC socket.. this way they are easy to change.

Yes, but this means removing or hacking a hole in the upper shielding.
Jo Even

sety
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sety » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Hey did you guys know that the 1.21 diagnostics ROM is already on the CT60 board and available with a keypress? Because I didn't until I finally stumbled upon the full documentation on GitHub.

This has saved me hours of work. I now know where the fault is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:40 pm

Only on the older TOS (firmware) 1.03 (IIRC). The newer TOS needed for CTPCI does not have it.
You can flash pmandin firmware to get a BIOS that you can change clock speed etc.
http://pmandin.atari.org/en/index.php?c ... /Utilities
I found it was very good, until I needed to use the CTPCI
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

sety
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sety » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:41 am

Hi guys. I think I have it sorted. The problem was that I didn't know what I was doing. :)

MiNT was crashing because of my old unpatched inet4.xdd. TOS problems were because of the firmware issues. Ended up fitting a 4.04 ROM and getting the 4.04 patched ROM, because I wanted that really nice looking colourful ATARI FALCON/CT60 message on boot that everyone else has :D

I still can't get networking to work in MiNT but it's a learning curve.

Thanks again for your help.

Stuart

Social Media

Return to “CT60 / CT63 Area”