IDE -> sata adapter

All things related to the Hades and Milan clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., lp, [ProToS], Moderator Team

PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

IDE -> sata adapter

Postby PeterS » Thu May 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Back in 2015 I bought a Startech pata to sata adapter to try to use in the Milan. The goal was to switch to sata drives and a sata PSU.

The adapter goes in the MB IDE port and with a mod to remove the plugged hole for the pin that the Milan has, it goes in nicely. This adapter alows you to connect 2 sata drives to one IDE port so I could have 2 sata in one and 2 IDE in the other.

I tried to partition a salvaged sata drive and although it seemed to work, mke2fs wouldn't write the partition. Also, the Mian wouldn't always detect the drive at boot-up either or would crash.

After a few attempts it became apparent that the drive was corrupted and even repeated attempts at fixing it in an Ubuntu box failed. I assumed it was just a duff drive and tried another with the same result. I tried the adapter in the Ubuntu box but it was no better.

Annoyed I gave up and the adapter has sat gathering dust until a few weeks ago when I was tidying up. I ordered a really cheap (£2) single sata adapter and tried that. This one only connects 1 sata to the IDE interface but it worked and I could access a sata DVD.

So I went onto the Startech website and left a note about my experience. I was surprised when they got in touch and said they has a lifetime warranty and promptly replaced the pata2sata adapter. Nice one.

I put it in the Ubuntu box with a sata HDD and a sata DVD and it was able to install ubuntu. :D So this adapter works.

Sadly back in the Milan, it didn't reliably recognise the DVD at boot up. When it did recognise it, it would sometimes read the root folder and then crash or just crash as soon as I accessed it.

I have no idea why it behaves so differently in the Milan, bus speed, voltages ?

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Re: IDE -> sata adapter

Postby paul92706 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm

I too have a IDE --> Sata adaptor connected to a CF reader in my Falcon 060, and works flawlessy. I have not tried connecting a Sata DVD drive, hmmm maybe i will try when i find one!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

artik-wroc
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby artik-wroc » Thu May 24, 2018 7:29 pm

I have MegaST -> PAK -> Alan's IDE -> IDE-SATA adapter -> DVD.
Works well, but often does not detect the drive after a reset. Another reset and drive is visible.

PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PeterS » Fri May 25, 2018 3:07 pm

I used the DVD for the later testing because the adapter wouldn't be able to wreck like it had done to the HDDs,

I had hoped to use 2 adapters so I could have my usual 2HDDs and a DVD drive.

The cheap single drive adapter worked but I would only be able to have 2 drives in total.

Social Media

Return to “Hades / Milan”