All things related to the Hades and Milan clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

PeterS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Coldfire

Postby PeterS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 am

ok, here is another mad idea for the day/week/month :D

I am sure many of us would like a Firebee but not everyone can justify or afford the cost. Also, what would we do with our existing hardware. I would hate to see a Hades, Milan or Falcon going to waste.

Now the Milan was built as a 68040 machine but there is a small adapter board, which I think is mostly just a voltage converter, that allows a 68060 to be plugged in and with updated firmware it works perfectly. The 060 is clock doubled so the machine then runs at 25/50 or 30/60

In a moment of wild speculation, I wondered if a similar adapter could be made to adapt the Hades, Milan or even a CT60 to use a Coldfire ?

This could then take advantage of the Coldfire software development that has been done and create a greater mass of people using Coldfire
based machines and software.

Obviously there would be a lot of issues.

Is the hardware compatibility close enough ?

How fast could the Coldfire be clocked without causing timing problems ? 100, 120, 180, 200, 240 MHz ?

It's a shame that Freescale didn't build more computer friendly Coldfires sooner or there might have been adapters available.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Coldfire

Postby vido » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Interesting idea and I think with included small FPGA on adapter board it could be done but I think there is no point doing this.
Because of the slow system bus there would be a problem geting Coldfire running at high frequencies. Also Coldfire V4 is slower at the same frequency as 060. Coldfire used in FireBee is actualy microcontroler with ethernet etc. controlers which would not be used in your proposed solution.

Then there is time you need to develop such solution. I believe in that time many people can save money for the FireBee ;)
And I believe not much people would be interested in such solution. At least not me as I have Milan 060 and also FireBee :)

PeterS

Re: Coldfire

Postby PeterS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Yes I agree and I realise that the USB, ethernet etc. would not be used without a lot of additional build work.

If Motorola/Freescale had released full Coldfire processors 10 years ago then it would have been a good option.

Social Media

Return to “Hades / Milan”