Wi Fi Wireless LAN

All things related to the Hades and Milan clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

PeterS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Wi Fi Wireless LAN

Postby PeterS » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Getting wifi on the Milan would be great but there are several hurdles I gather, device drivers and network config stuff.

While looking for something completely different I spotted this.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-ins ... -card.html

From where I was able to find the source code.

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/02_product ... &cata3_sn=
http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support ... php?sn=501

It may be a no use if it is heavily linux dependent but it's interesting.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Wi Fi Wireless LAN

Postby lp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:09 pm

That's the hard way. Had my TT030 and Hades on wireless years ago. Just get a simple wireless adapter, the kind used to get any old device on a wireless lan. Plugs into your existing ethernet port and no drivers needed. In fact the Atari won't even know its on wireless. Only catch is you have to configure these devices via a java enabled browser. Set it up on a mac or pc then move it to the Atari, all set.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

I have done the same as LP. Belkin do a device that they market as a wireless gaming adaptor. It is essentially a wifi to ethernet bridge and works very well.

I think trying to make all the necessary wifi protocols and drivers is a lot of work for little reward. I imagine performance will be really bad with newer WPA2 encryption algos too.
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:42 am

Just for kicks, I looked at this when I was trying to figure out the network driver for my Ctpci may be 2 years ago. The easier one to do will be Broadcom chipset as it provides a polling mode. Much of the Xif examples in mint seems to be polling in nature. Ralink source is it in the Linux source? I cannot remember, I need to get to my computer to check. May be it's not there.

Once you get the driver working, you will need the wireless tool to be ported to Mint.

That said, using a wireless bridge would be the easiest.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:59 am

lp wrote:That's the hard way. Had my TT030 and Hades on wireless years ago. Just get a simple wireless adapter, the kind used to get any old device on a wireless lan. Plugs into your existing ethernet port and no drivers needed. In fact the Atari won't even know its on wireless. Only catch is you have to configure these devices via a java enabled browser. Set it up on a mac or pc then move it to the Atari, all set.

Nice! Does anyone know if the Centurbo II has an ethernet port, or would I need some ISA LAN card too? I'm in south China for a few more days so can't check ATM, but maybe I can pick up one or two of these wifi bridge adapters cheap while I'm here.
Then again, it seems that even the local street stalls and smokey electronics markets are about the same price - or sometimes more expensive - than getting stuff on eBay, including shipping from HK or Taiwan to Ireland. Plus you can get your money back on Paypal, but not in a street stall half the world away :P
tá'n poc ar buile!

PeterS
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby PeterS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:46 am

lp wrote:That's the hard way. Had my TT030 and Hades on wireless years ago. Just get a simple wireless adapter, the kind used to get any old device on a wireless lan. Plugs into your existing ethernet port and no drivers needed. In fact the Atari won't even know its on wireless. Only catch is you have to configure these devices via a java enabled browser. Set it up on a mac or pc then move it to the Atari, all set.

I am aware of those but that is what I am trying to avoid. I all ready have too much clutter and cabling under my desk and no room for any more. For me, the whole benefit of wireless is that it simplifies the physical connections when space is at a real premium.

The whole world has gone wireless and we have been left behind.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:43 pm

In short term you can solve it, but if you are more concerned about a little clutter and rather do without, your choice. Always comes down to the drivers, and we all know how that goes, no where fast.

Paolo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paolo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm curious: may you point me to such a device? Thanks.

lp wrote:... Just get a simple wireless adapter, the kind used to get any old device on a wireless lan. Plugs into your existing ethernet port and no drivers needed. In fact the Atari won't even know its on wireless. Only catch is you have to configure these devices via a java enabled browser. Set it up on a mac or pc then move it to the Atari, all set.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 pm

I have the D-Link DWL-810. Certainly outdated, you will have to find something equivalent that is current.

Social Media

Return to “Hades / Milan”