How do I Turn a Hades 060 into a Music/MIDI Machine? :-)

All things related to the Hades and Milan clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

atarimusic[dot]net
Atari freak
Atari freak

How do I Turn a Hades 060 into a Music/MIDI Machine? :-)

Postby atarimusic[dot]net » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi all,

In a few hours, I'll be inheriting a wonderful Hades 060 machine from a gentleman in NY who is giving it away. So far, Ive used two Falcon 030 machines running native TOS and Cubase Score and Cubase Audio. I want to turn my Hades into a Cubase machine now too. Can anyone recommend what I need to do to make this happen (operating system, version of cubase, patches, auto folder)? I am completely new to the Hades system and very unfamiliar with it's bios/motherboard. What sorts of wonderful things can I add to the PCI slots for example? One idea I have is to rack mount the system like a synth module. Has anyone tried this before? It look likes this machine doesn't have regular MIDI ports. Can I use the Steinberg SMP II or any the Steinberg FDI unit?

atarimusic[dot]net
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: How do I Turn a Hades 060 into a Music/MIDI Machine? :-)

Postby atarimusic[dot]net » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Update: Now that I've got the Hades computer, it's frightfully dirty inside. On another thread, some kind folks are trying to help me out on how to clean the motherboard before I do anything else. As for turning this into a MIDI machine, here is what I can say for sure now: I will indeed rackmount this computer so it will fit into my synth module stack (the original case is so yellow and dirty it's not even worth cleaning.

As for running cubase or any other MIDI sequencer, I suppose my question is this: What MIDI programs will work on MiNT or MagiC or Hades version of TOS? It seems like this is a really hard question. Any pros out here know the answer?

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:40 pm

If your goal is a dedicated midi machine, I'd say get a real ST and rack mount that. Forget mint and magic, then you have a solid system with no what ifs. That's my 2 cents. Seems a waste for a Hades. :wink:

You will also have to fashion some midi cables as it does not have the round din connectors.

atarimusic[dot]net
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby atarimusic[dot]net » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Someone suggest Linux m68k as an operating system but I can't seem to find any software that will run on it. Anyone else have a suggestion?

joska
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:39 am

atarimusic[dot]net wrote:Someone suggest Linux m68k as an operating system but I can't seem to find any software that will run on it. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Send me your Hades, and I will send you a stock Falcon in return ;-)
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

atarimusic[dot]net
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby atarimusic[dot]net » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:11 pm

:D Anything and everything is negotiable! I know what the Hades is worth though and I don't think it equals a stock Falcon - not even close! So what is the luscious secret you're holding about the true capabilities on this machine? I admit, I'm completely nieve about the Hades but I'm willing to learn!

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:26 pm

There is no secret in reality. The Hades was never meant to be a music machine. The time it was released the falcon and the TT covered those needs very well.

The Hades was mostly aimed at the DTP/General purpose atari computing market, that needed a fast machine with big resolutions and lots of colours. And at the time it was released, that's exactly what it was..
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:14 pm

It's like I said on the other forum, its like a TT030 on steroids with a PCI video card, but has the downside that you cannot fall back to any of the native video modes the TT originally offered. They are simply not there. Running any old stuff is rather hit or miss, usually miss. David seems to think setting up the video mode generator made stuff work, but I never had that much luck with trying to mimic the old modes. I think he used a canned set of apps and that was that, mostly Calamus. Surf around the HD and you'll have a good idea what he was actually using. Likely won't find any games, any demos, or midi apps. The CPU itself, although it brings more speed, also brings issues, as most midi apps were tuned to the old stock machines as well.

There was also a VME card called the Star Tracker or something, that added Falcon like DSP and so forth, but those are now out of production as well and probably even harder to come by. The Hades does have the VME connector.

As for what a Hades does well. GEM apps. Applications that are properly written to run in GEM windows. They are also good dev boxes, better compile times, and since it has PCI on board, also good for writing and testing drivers.

If you add MiNT or magic on top the mix even less stuff works, since many old apps don't have a clue about tasking, but at least in this case you can opt to not boot those with a boot manager if need be.

atarimusic[dot]net
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby atarimusic[dot]net » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Fair enough. As an owner of two Falcon already, I'm quite happy with their performance. I will still clean and restore this Hades as much as possible before I decide it's fate and destiny. What do you think it's worth on ebay? Are there people here interested in a real trade for a Falcon?

Btw: Thank you for the insight and knowledge IP

MGrove
Atarian
Atarian

Postby MGrove » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:16 am

atarimusic[dot]net wrote:Fair enough. As an owner of two Falcon already, I'm quite happy with their performance. I will still clean and restore this Hades as much as possible before I decide it's fate and destiny. What do you think it's worth on ebay? Are there people here interested in a real trade for a Falcon?

Btw: Thank you for the insight and knowledge IP

I'd be very interested in the Hades if it's not dead, would be a nice DTP machine and would like to experiment with VME.
Purchased a Milan 040 some years ago, haven't had luck getting the SCSI card to work properly. It's been a couple of years since looking at it, or any Atari hardware to be honest.
Between getting the kid through school, work and recent marriage, just haven't had the time.
Would be more interested in a purchase, but did pick up what I think is a box stock Falcon some months back. Haven't unpacked it but it "looks" good.
Haven't read your other post, not sure what your looking for or lacking, have almost everything and anything you can think of for the Falcon. Would rather PM you with respect to any trades.
I've got notify set if you respond.

Mike

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:50 am

lp wrote: but has the downside that you cannot fall back to any of the native video modes the TT originally offered. They are simply not there.

Hey Lonny, at my Hades I have at least ST-High as native video mode. If i remember correctly it can be set anywhere at the Nova-driver. And It´s also there when I boot without any HD attached. I got this 1MB ET graphic card I think.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:03 am

I also have st-high at boot, but does the nova vdi patch xbios(5)? I don't think so, thus programs that use xbios(5) to determine the screen mode don't work. Been long time since I messed with that stuff and decided it was easier to keep the TT around back then. The Hades boots 1280x1024 and if some app don't work, I simply don't bother with it now days.

Of course I'm not recommending that to anyone, its just how I deal with it. :)

TTowner
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Hades 060 Machine? :-)

Postby TTowner » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi everyone. While you all fight over what does what and why, may I ask, would the owners of any Hades machines care to allow me a chance to have duplicates of their system software? Specifically anything that drives sound & video & other hardware that can be attached.

All software you might have is so rare that there is nowhere to get it from other than existing users.
As I am about to become a proud owner it would be great if I could aquire software for this machine. I could then join all the other Hades users and have just as much fun arguing the TOS pardon the pun. :D

you may if your willing to help contact me via email tonyperry_4@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks in advance. Hope to hear from someone soon.
Hades060 & 2 TT030 machines.Nova & Spektrum Graphics cards,1 Reibel network cards,1 Netusb,Slm Lazer printer, Epson GT600 flatbed, 2 SCSi to IDE interface + UltraSatan.Nakamachi 7 & 5 CD disk changers.Mega STE .[url]http://www.llill.co/5j
[/url]

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:46 pm

Fredi (Medusa) has all of his Hades tools still on his site. Mainly you need the FPU patch in the archive.
Ozk still has all of his hades tools on his site. Ethernet driver, sound driver, mmu tools.

I have some of the video drivers on my dev doc site with permission. Arbitrarily gathering all video drivers is a bit pointless as they require specific drivers based on the card in use.

Social Media

Return to “Hades / Milan”