All things related to the Hades and Milan clones

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Milan ATI

Postby mfro » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:10 pm

joska wrote:
mfro wrote:If the Milan's startup sequence is similar to that in FireTOS (which is what I assume), the emulator is only needed to run the card's BIOS once for basic initialization.

The problem is that the x86 emulator spend around 30 seconds to run the VGA BIOS on a Milan060. I haven't even tried on a 040... And this is done on every (re)boot, which is quite annoying.

BaS_gcc contains the x86 emulator from FreeBSD (which is slightly faster than the one in FireTOS which originates from U-Boot AFAIK). The one from FreeBSD - obviously inspired from the knowledge that gcc doesn't optimize too well with lots of global variables - wraps the emulator state variables into a large struct and passes a pointer to it into all its functions. On my m5484 evaluation board (200 MHz), it takes about 2 seconds to execute the ROM BIOS (but this will vary for different cards as well, I have one where it takes remarkably longer).

I don't know about the Milan, is it an auto folder program or executed from ROM? If the former, it might be possible to adapt it to your hardware and give it a try.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:47 pm

The emulator runs from ROM, before TOS is executed.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

PeterS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby PeterS » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:55 pm

I think the x86 emu is in the bootblock part of the ROM, which is 44k, is that big enough for the emu ?

The Rage board I have is labelled ATi D33053 RV6P NB3. I can't remember how long I waited when I tried it but it didn't seem to boot the graphics at all.

Social Media

Return to “Hades / Milan”