A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

jamesrc
Atari User
Atari User

Forcing 50hz Refresh Rate

Postby jamesrc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello --

A feature I'd very much like would be to force a resolution/refresh rate when running Steem SSE full screen. My monitor doesn't advertise it, but can display 1680 x 1050 @ 50hz if I force that resolution using the Nvidia control panel. If I then run Steem with Vsync enabled, everything then looks beautifully smooth when running 50hz games and demos.

Unfortunately, my custom resolution doesn't show under the Full Screen Options, only allowing me 1680 x 1050 at 60hz or 75hz, and thus when I switch to full screen I lose my perfect 50hz scrolling.

Would it be possible for Steem to support custom resolutions, or add a borderless full screen windowed mode that looks full screen but doesn't force a resolution change, as it could then use the customer resolution I've forced the desktop into?

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Forcing 50hz Refresh Rate

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:05 am

jamesrc wrote:Hello --

A feature I'd very much like would be to force a resolution/refresh rate when running Steem SSE full screen. My monitor doesn't advertise it, but can display 1680 x 1050 @ 50hz if I force that resolution using the Nvidia control panel. If I then run Steem with Vsync enabled, everything then looks beautifully smooth when running 50hz games and demos.

Hi
You mean option SSE/VSync? Good for you.

Unfortunately, my custom resolution doesn't show under the Full Screen Options, only allowing me 1680 x 1050 at 60hz or 75hz, and thus when I switch to full screen I lose my perfect 50hz scrolling.

Would it be possible for Steem to support custom resolutions, or add a borderless full screen windowed mode that looks full screen but doesn't force a resolution change, as it could then use the customer resolution I've forced the desktop into?

Good request.

use_desktop_rate.png

I added an option to use the desktop refresh rate in fullscreen, it's easy.
You'll tell us if it works. :)
If not, fake fullscreen is also a good idea, but it's more involved, it won't be for v3.9.1 at any rate (got this?), which is scheduled for the end of this month.
Of course it would be simpler if NVidia just added the custom mode in the list consulted by D3D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jamesrc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jamesrc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Thank you! It's available now? If so, I'll give it a whirl later today.

Edit: Let me clarify. When you say "Tell us if it works", is it something I can test today, or do you mean I should test it in 3.9.1 at the end of the month?

Edit 2: Okay, I couldn't find anywhere to download dev builds (other than to check out the source tree and build it myself), so I'm going to take this as "Test it in 3.9.1 at the end of the month" and I will report back to you once I have this build. Thank you again for not only responding to my request, but responding so quickly!

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:34 pm

The feature wasn't in the source, there was trouble at sourceforge yesterday.

We could soon have a beta (dev, whatever) folder on sourceforge with the various builds and date of upload, up to people to check there when they're interested.
To tell the truth I haven't been satisfied by public or private betas anyway. Not enough feedback.

jamesrc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jamesrc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:The feature wasn't in the source, there was trouble at sourceforge yesterday.

We could soon have a beta (dev, whatever) folder on sourceforge with the various builds and date of upload, up to people to check there when they're interested.
To tell the truth I haven't been satisfied by public or private betas anyway. Not enough feedback.

Well, if you put a beta up with this feature, I'll happily try it. If not, I'll happily wait to try it in 3.9.1. I'm excited for it, but I'm just grateful that you're implementing the request. I'll go with whatever timing suits you. :)

jamesrc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jamesrc » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:10 am

Do you see under Steven Seagal's name, where it says "Atari God"?

I can confirm this to be true, as he has furnished me with a Steem beta, and this function does indeed work as advertised. I can now play ST games and Demos in 50hz, just as nature intended. This feature will be available in 3.9.1.

Thank you!

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:43 am

jamesrc wrote:Do you see under Steven Seagal's name, where it says "Atari God"?

I can confirm this to be true

It actually means I post a lot.

, as he has furnished me with a Steem beta, and this function does indeed work as advertised.
I can now play ST games and Demos in 50hz, just as nature intended.

Of course.

Social Media

Return to “Development”