A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Feature Requests for STeem

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:15 am

Welcome to the forum both of you!

ssj wrote:Would it be possible to allow window manual resizing to the emulator? I'm trying to run the emulator with some bezels on its sides and as it is the emulator window is always too small on my monitor and even by setting it to quadruple size is still not large enough.

This is not clear. But the window is resizable, if option display/lock window size isn't checked.

I'm also having an issue when I have a HDD mounted where I keep getting a warning message stating GEMDOS HDD emulation works better with TOS 1.04 or 1.62, I've been warned :)... but is there any way to disable this dialog to popup?

I could consider an option to remove all warnings, but then people will complain of "bugs" and trash Steem in forums.

RikusMaximus wrote:1: Ability to map any Atari ST keyboard keycode to a any joystick button. Example of this could be mapping spacebar to 360 controllers Y button for using the special attack in Turrican.

You can already do that using the Shorcuts facility? (done by Steem authors)

2: Option to have per game controller configs. I imagine these would work much like the Patch files. This is however much bigger task due to the amount of design to get the menus making sense and allowing a default configuration or several controller profiles easy to select etc etc etc

I consider adding game configuration files, with correct ST type, memory, etc.
I could add more joystick setups and the file would record the one selected?
Just an idea for the moment.

This is probably not the place but I would like to mention I had a go at compiling the Steem SSE source and run into some issues like :
Steem\code\SSE\SSEHfe.cpp(80) : error C2065: 'FullScreen' : undeclared identifier
I mention this as I am an experienced C++ programmer and thought I could have a stab at adding these features myself, then contribute back to the project.

In VC6, VS2008, don't use the "module" configurations?

RikusMaximus
Atarian
Atarian

Postby RikusMaximus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Excellent!

1. Shortcuts do indeed work! I like that they can be put into groups and enabled/disabled as needed.

I consider adding game configuration files, with correct ST type, memory, etc.
I could add more joystick setups and the file would record the one selected?
Just an idea for the moment.

I really like this idea. I would also like to go back to the shortcuts and suggest they could be part of this system : which shortcuts are active per game?
I am tempted to suggest a step further, that the shortcuts and joystick config become part of a unified input config panel. How this would look and work now becomes very tricky. The origianl purpuse of the shortcuts seems to give access to keys that do not directly translate to modern keyboards. My personal interest is biased towards making old games more friendly by using modern hardware (lots of buttons on a controller!). So just a thought ;)

In VC6, VS2008, don't use the "module" configurations?

Worked! Thank you :) now all I need is some time...

Thanks again

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:19 am

Steven Seagal wrote:This is not clear. But the window is resizable, if option display/lock window size isn't checked.

Sorry, all this time and I wasn't aware of this option and I looked for it everywhere! Found it in no time after you mentioned it, that was exactly what I needed, thanks.

Steven Seagal wrote:I could consider an option to remove all warnings, but then people will complain of "bugs" and trash Steem in forums.

I don't see why they would, you could leave the warnings active by default and then it would be the user choice to disable them. You could even not present this setting on the UI and it would need to be changed on the ini file directly. Or instead of the options add a command line switch for a silent mode like many other emulators do, because that particular warning is a deal breaker when you are trying to run STeem through a frontend especially on a cabinet where you have no keyboard available.

I have one more request, I'm trying to automate disk swapping since I want to be able to use this on a cabinet and I'm having some trouble scripting this due to the way disk changing works on STeem. Would it be possible to add an option to the disk manager where I can select the image I want to load into each drive using the windows file browser? This way it would very simple to script a way to automatically switch disks.

Thanks for your reply!

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:37 am

ssj wrote:
Steven Seagal wrote:This is not clear. But the window is resizable, if option display/lock window size isn't checked.

Sorry, all this time and I wasn't aware of this option and I looked for it everywhere! Found it in no time after you mentioned it, that was exactly what I needed, thanks.

IIRC, this option was also based on a request, it appeared in v3.7. I think it's very handy.

Steven Seagal wrote:I could consider an option to remove all warnings, but then people will complain of "bugs" and trash Steem in forums.

I don't see why they would, you could leave the warnings active by default and then it would be the user choice to disable them. You could even not present this setting on the UI and it would need to be changed on the ini file directly. Or instead of the options add a command line switch for a silent mode like many other emulators do, because that particular warning is a deal breaker when you are trying to run STeem through a frontend especially on a cabinet where you have no keyboard available.

It could be an INI option then, you're right.
But I wonder what you're doing: mounted GEMDOS hard drive on a cabinet?

I have one more request, I'm trying to automate disk swapping since I want to be able to use this on a cabinet and I'm having some trouble scripting this due to the way disk changing works on STeem. Would it be possible to add an option to the disk manager where I can select the image I want to load into each drive using the windows file browser? This way it would very simple to script a way to automatically switch disks.

Thanks for your reply!

To swap disks, there's a shorcut. Otherwise I don't quite understand the request.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:57 am

I am not sure if this is a option or not already, but for screenshots, can it be setup to take multiple screenshots for several seconds or more in one go without having to keep clicking the screenshot button. Ideally options to set screenshot interval times (like 1 second or 0.1 second etc) and a option to set how long to take screenshots for , like 5 seconds, or 10 seconds etc, 30 seconds etc.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:25 am

exxos wrote:I am not sure if this is a option or not already, but for screenshots, can it be setup to take multiple screenshots for several seconds or more in one go without having to keep clicking the screenshot button. Ideally options to set screenshot interval times (like 1 second or 0.1 second etc) and a option to set how long to take screenshots for , like 5 seconds, or 10 seconds etc, 30 seconds etc.

If that's possible, this too could be an INI option too, like:
Autoscreenshot=10: every 10 seconds

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:38 am

Steven Seagal wrote:
exxos wrote:I am not sure if this is a option or not already, but for screenshots, can it be setup to take multiple screenshots for several seconds or more in one go without having to keep clicking the screenshot button. Ideally options to set screenshot interval times (like 1 second or 0.1 second etc) and a option to set how long to take screenshots for , like 5 seconds, or 10 seconds etc, 30 seconds etc.

That could work :) Idea here is for ripping graphics, so a capture rate of less than a second is better. Of course need a option in the screenshot button to turn on / off the auto capture :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:40 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:It could be an INI option then, you're right.

I'm only running some HDD installed games and using TOS2.06 for it not using the HDD for anything else, I did it that way since I recall having issues with a couple of them with another TOS, it has been a while so I don't recall exactly which ones. Might be a problem with the HDD installation though that made them problematic with other TOS.

To swap disks, there's a shorcut. Otherwise I don't quite understand the request.

Perhaps I'm wrong and there's a way to do it, but afaik the available shortcut only lets you swap the disk in drive A with the one in drive B right?
My problem is this: Imagine a game has 4 disks and at some point you need to insert disk 3, you can't use the swap shortcut in this case since you only have disk 1 on drive A and disk 2 on drive B. You will need to go into the disk manager and manually insert the disk 3 on drive A or B. What I wanted was a button (a shortcut would probably work even better I guess) that would simply open a windows file browser so I can select the desired file to load. For instance pressing F3 would allow me to select a new disk to insert on drive A and pressing F4 would allow me to select a new disk to insert on drive B.
Hope it's more clear now.

Thanks

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:07 pm

exxos wrote:
Steven Seagal wrote:

That could work :) Idea here is for ripping graphics, so a capture rate of less than a second is better. Of course need a option in the screenshot button to turn on / off the auto capture :)

Or in milliseconds then, rounded to frames.
I don't feel like cluttering the interface for this though.
When Autoscreenshot is specified, one click starts recording, one click on the same button stops.
I promise nothing on this.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:14 pm

ssj wrote:
Steven Seagal wrote:It could be an INI option then, you're right.

I'm only running some HDD installed games and using TOS2.06 for it not using the HDD for anything else, I did it that way since I recall having issues with a couple of them with another TOS, it has been a while so I don't recall exactly which ones. Might be a problem with the HDD installation though that made them problematic with other TOS.

In that case, using future ACSI emulation may be a solution, or now using Pasti?
Normally you use TOS 1.62 with Steem in STE mode.

Perhaps I'm wrong and there's a way to do it, but afaik the available shortcut only lets you swap the disk in drive A with the one in drive B right?
My problem is this: Imagine a game has 4 disks and at some point you need to insert disk 3, you can't use the swap shortcut in this case since you only have disk 1 on drive A and disk 2 on drive B. You will need to go into the disk manager and manually insert the disk 3 on drive A or B. What I wanted was a button (a shortcut would probably work even better I guess) that would simply open a windows file browser so I can select the desired file to load. For instance pressing F3 would allow me to select a new disk to insert on drive A and pressing F4 would allow me to select a new disk to insert on drive B.
Hope it's more clear now.

Thanks

The Disk manager is a great interface offered to us by Steem authors, what's wrong with it?
If it had been me, we would just have the standard Windows browser.
Don't we actually miss a shorcut to toggle Disk manager?

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:19 am

Steven Seagal wrote:In that case, using future ACSI emulation may be a solution, or now using Pasti?
Normally you use TOS 1.62 with Steem in STE mode.

I suppose ACSI could help, not really sure how Pasti would help on this though, isn't that simply for floppy disks emulation?

Steven Seagal wrote:The Disk manager is a great interface offered to us by Steem authors, what's wrong with it?
If it had been me, we would just have the standard Windows browser.
Don't we actually miss a shorcut to toggle Disk manager?

Nothing wrong with it, but I'm using Steem on a cabinet and I don't have a keyboard or mouse so I really cannot make use of the disk manager, so a possibility of assigning a shortcut to change the disk on drive 1 and drive 2 which would automatically open a standard windows browser to select the file would be just perfect as the whole disk swap procedure could be easily automated through a script, right now there's no way to automate it since it involves going through disk manager and a few button clicks.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:08 am

ssj wrote:I suppose ACSI could help, not really sure how Pasti would help on this though, isn't that simply for floppy disks emulation?

No, it can do ACSI HD.

Nothing wrong with it, but I'm using Steem on a cabinet and I don't have a keyboard or mouse so I really cannot make use of the disk manager, so a possibility of assigning a shortcut to change the disk on drive 1 and drive 2 which would automatically open a standard windows browser to select the file would be just perfect as the whole disk swap procedure could be easily automated through a script, right now there's no way to automate it since it involves going through disk manager and a few button clicks.

OK, now I see the problem, but I know nothing about scripts.
Possibly 2 shorcuts would open the file selector for disk A and B.
Or a better swapper with more slots...
I promise nothing but I will think on it.

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:20 am

Steven Seagal wrote:No, it can do ACSI HD.

Had no idea about this, will have to look into it then. Thanks for the heads up.

Steven Seagal wrote:Possibly 2 shorcuts would open the file selector for disk A and B.

This simple solution would be just perfect and fix the problem I'm having, no need to add a lot of complexity to it.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:38 am

ssj wrote:
Steven Seagal wrote:Possibly 2 shorcuts would open the file selector for disk A and B.

This simple solution would be just perfect and fix the problem I'm having, no need to add a lot of complexity to it.

I added this feature, it's quite simple but it should be tested, so maybe you could join the beta distribution list (PM me a valid email address) if you want to be sure this is what you meant.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:55 am

Checking the source, it seems there's already such shortcut available:
"Take Multiple Screenshots (Hold)"
There's no interval though.

By the way, this is cleverer than what I had in mind.

Mikefulton
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mikefulton » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:40 am

There's a fix I'd like to see to the extended monitor hack.

Currently, it's set to do its thing only on the first open workstation call. This works OK when there's no GDOS installed, but if a version of GDOS is loaded, the line-a stuff gets reset and you're back to the basic screen mode.

It should be checking the device ID to make sure the request is for the screen, and it should do the line-a patching every time, not just the first time. The only first-time-only bit should be allocating memory for the screen buffer.

Also, allocating memory for the screen buffer should not be done with Malloc as this will put it at an arbitrary location. I recommend that allocating the screen buffer should be a separate thing from patching line-a. Put it at the end of RAM and set the _memtop system variable to keep the buffer out of the TPA.

ssj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ssj » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:08 am

Steven Seagal wrote:I added this feature, it's quite simple but it should be tested, so maybe you could join the beta distribution list (PM me a valid email address) if you want to be sure this is what you meant.

Sorry been busy lately so haven't checked the forums in a while, just saw the new version today and that was exactly what I wanted. It's perfect for what I need so thanks a lot for implementing it!

emodel
Atarian
Atarian

Postby emodel » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:20 am

Hi and a big thx for keeping that wonderful emu up to date !!
Could you consider adding more screen filters ?
As of now, to me, the interpolated scanlines look okay, but it would be amazing to have d3d shaders, or at least something like 2xsai or eagle (with added scanlines it looks fine imho).

Cheers

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:23 am

+1 for d3d shaders
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:23 pm

"Interpolated scanlines" are not a real filter but a hack mixing "stretch" mode and Steem's scanlines.
Now that D3D fullscreen is available, maybe it's not hard to add filters?
I note this request for after v3.8.0 and will look at how WinUAE does that.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:03 pm

I've made this thread a sticky, hope nobody minds :) I keep losing it so probably others do also :)

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:13 pm

exxos wrote:I've made this thread a sticky, hope nobody minds :) I keep losing it so probably others do also :)

The thread that is always near the top is "bug reports". Strange...

elluigi
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby elluigi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:19 pm

Hi Steven,

Is this possible to add a new shortcut possibility which allow to swap ST Model (STE/STF/MegaST) ?

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Well, this option is supposed to be set at reset, even if you can change on the fly in Steem, a shortcut for that seems extreme.
The right way to solve the DBST issue is to update it of course.
What I can do without difficulty for next version is make Steem start as STF if argument STFMBORDER is given in the command line.

Normally the ST type model option is in steem.ini:

[Machine]
STType

0=STE
1=STF
2=Mega ST4

It is also saved in (new) memory snapshots.

Really, I'd like DBST to be updated instead, because without bragging too much, Steem SSE runs more demos than its venerable ancestor.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:15 pm

Can we have alt-ram support :)

Social Media

Return to “Development”