Steem SSE beta

A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Steem SSE beta

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:35 pm

WoodlandSpirit wrote:Just had a go of the one you've just uploaded, not sure if it's 100% accurate ST behaviour but does seem cleaner than previous. As it stands every time the resolution changes we have a single frame where the display is completely black then the normal ST display again, like as if for a frame the emulator does no drawing at all after recreating the texture in the resolution change.

I am sensitive to high frame rates by the way if you are wondering :)

It's possible texture creation takes some time in D3D, after all, we (well, me) are very demanding by messing with surfaces live @50hz or more.
There's a new dev build where the texture is cleared by hand instead, please check if it makes a difference (or crashes your system :))
If not, maybe brutally inserting med res lines will lose a frame anyway, fixing that is more involved (maybe it works in windowed mode, "double size no stretch" low resolution option?

WoodlandSpirit
Atariator
Atariator

Postby WoodlandSpirit » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Testing latest build.

Hmm interesting, it does all seem to work fine in window mode, still get the black frame in fullscreen mode.

I do understand that things can be tricky working with such intense framerates, I do apologies if I'm sounding demanding.

Probably something stupid with trying to work with it in widescreen, might have to look at an alternative setup in the meantime.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:01 pm

Don't think it's the widescreen itself, but it's true I test on a 1280x1024.
Generally I've noticed different behaviour on different hardware in Direct3D as well as DirectDraw.
Did the black frame issue only started when I messed with the "texture" (two latest builds)?

EDIT: new test build available where we slightly change the timing of this sprite/texture init.

WoodlandSpirit
Atariator
Atariator

Postby WoodlandSpirit » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:33 am

Yeah, the black frame has been since the last few test builds like it was only cleaning up the original issue rather than a fix.

However... the latest test build seems to resolve the issue! ST resolution appears to change as it should now, no black frame, no corruption, good work!

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:26 pm

If it works now, that means two things:

- The system is fast enough to delete/create a texture on the fly. I put that back in because with the latest fix, only one backbuffer was cleaned anyway (option 'Triple Buffering'), doing it for two was getting complicated. I feel a Clear function for texture is missing in D3D9, or I didn't find it.

- There were glitches/black frames because Steem would change the screen for the next frame just before blitting the current frame, not just after, it was a logical error (only when VSYNC on). Thx for the report.

WoodlandSpirit
Atariator
Atariator

Postby WoodlandSpirit » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:49 am

No worries, glad to have been a help to make what seems like the only viable ST emulator better :)

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Would it be a lot of work to implement hardware overscan in Steem?

Specifically I'm thinking of Lacescan: http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/zip/lascan35.zip

Would be really sweet for those of us doing more than just playing games/demos in Steem... :)
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:32 pm

Greenious wrote:Would it be a lot of work to implement hardware overscan in Steem?
Specifically I'm thinking of Lacescan: http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/zip/lascan35.zip
Would be really sweet for those of us doing more than just playing games/demos in Steem... :)

Steem has some extended res. graphic modes. Why you want Lacescan specifically ?
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:53 pm

AtariZoll wrote:
Greenious wrote:Would it be a lot of work to implement hardware overscan in Steem?

Steem has some extended res. graphic modes. Why you want Lacescan specifically ?

Since it is an easy and fairly common mod among STs. Testing if things work on these with Steem would make things simpler.

And there is the feeling of "atari" that get lost when I start playing with resolutions and things I've never had on the original. Ie, overscan has a genuine feeling the other graphic modes don't have.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:59 am

WoodlandSpirit wrote:No worries, glad to have been a help to make what seems like the only viable ST emulator better :)

"The only viable ST emulator"

I should make it the official slogan for Steem SSE, competition would be pleased :)
Though the current one: "Steem is the best, so why bother with the rest?" can still be interpreted ironically, as it's adapted from Automation brags.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 am

Looks like fun, I'll look at it.

Social Media

Return to “Development”