A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Steem SSE Windows Developer's Information

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 pm

No problem!
I think this is a good idea, I will do the modifications, and place the new flags in SSE.h

I know that's heavy and all to the glory of Steven Seagal!, but since that's the way until today, please let's continue.

If that too much for you I could use JLG_VS2012 instead of SS_VS2012 :wink:

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:I tested your mods, the VC6 build is still OK but the BCC build is broken by line 168 in SSE.h:

Code: Select all

#if WIN32 && (_MSC_VER == 1200)   // JLG VS2012 - only allowed in VC6
#define SS_DELAY_LOAD_DLL // can run without DLL
#endif

It's rather easy to set up a BCC environement for testing, look at the bat files in /bcc, you just need to point to the correct dir. I know it's old and all but for good reasons we still use it.

Probably does not like the logical op I will break it in two statement

About the delayed DLL I am not sure it make sense :) if you have an incomplete release program should not run rather than complain later ;)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:It would also be cool if you could keep a delay load capacity for DLL in VS2012, I know it isn't easy, but what happens if a DLL is missing?

It seems that I have succeeded to do it with VS2012 so I will probably keep it to make you happy.
By the way what happen if the program find out it needs the CAPSImg.dll and it is not there? Does it complain or is the feature removed?

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:28 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:If that too much for you I could use JLG_VS2012 instead of SS_VS2012 :wink:

In fact, the "#if defined(STEVEN_SEAGAL)" is to the glory of Steven Seagal, in "&& defined(SS_VS2012_INIT)", SS_ doesn't mean author like SS for Steven Seagal, JLG for (your name), etc. It's really for 'Steven Seagal Edition'.
I mean to change them all into SSE_ one day but it's not so easy as SS_ is part of other strings.

PS I know it's ridiculous, but I started this way and it's part of the fun.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:35 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:
Steven Seagal wrote:About the delayed DLL I am not sure it make sense :) if you have an incomplete release program should not run rather than complain later ;)

I explained it all here:
http://ataristeven.t15.org/Steem_35_com ... ng_the_DLL

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Ok I have modified the sources following you indication
I hope that now it follows your convention correctly (let me know)

In the Steem/windows-build/VS2012 directory the Building with Visual Studio 2012 (docx and pdf) files provides full instruction for building with VS2012
It also explain what you need to do if you want the delayed DLL

Should not break anything this time. I have taken the opportunity to remove some changes i made in 131 but were not really required
so now should be 100% clean

I have run minimum test and all configurations seems to work OK (apart may be the boiler debug that build with errors)
When a more stable version will be available I will make executable made with VS2012 available

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:46 pm

BCC build was still broken but I fixed it myself.
Now it's fine, BCC and VC6 build debug & normal. I just changed DrCoolZic into DR_COOL_ZIC, and made sure text is on 80 columns (it's not super important but I work without extra large screen).

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:28 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:BCC build was still broken but I fixed it myself.
Now it's fine, BCC and VC6 build debug & normal. I just changed DrCoolZic into DR_COOL_ZIC, and made sure text is on 80 columns (it's not super important but I work without extra large screen).

I guess it was the #if WIN32 changed to #ifdef WIN32 :(
Perfect.

Just let me know when you change the SteemVC6.dsp file so I can update my SteemVS2012.vcxproj file

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:33 pm

For information: I have released sometime ago a version of the CAPS/IPF source code that compiles under VS2010/2012.
Normally you wont need to compile the source as the DLL is provided, but if you need you can find it here
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=25491

and here
http://info-coach.fr/atari/software/projects/IPF.php

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:01 pm

QuestionsRequests for Mr Steven Seagal :)

You remember I told you I had problem accessing the repository using svn+ssh:// prefix ?
Actually using ssh login is a pain in the ... You have to generate SSH keys and installed them on sourceforge etc...
Took me sometimes but I can now login with an ssh shell (using putty) on sourceforge, but I still cannot use it to access subversion.
If you look in the https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourc ... %20service documentation you will see that:

Code: Select all

Project members must be granted shell access by a project administrator. Project administrators can grant Shell Access to project members on the project membership page (select Membership in the Project Admin menu).

to get ssh access. So my question is can you please give me this access. I do not really need it as I can commit with https but I would like to experiment with svn+ssh that is supposed to be more efficient than https and document "how to" (you may as well be interested.
EDIT Sept 24 Forget the above question I have found a way to access svn repository with ssh protocol (read/write). So you do not need you to do anything :)
FYI it is relatively difficult to setup ssh transfer in tortoisesvn for sourceforge :( I am currently writing a small note ...

Two more questions. Any chance that you move the project from svn to git? GIT is much much better and provides very nice merge capabilities :)
FYI I already have fully imported the steem SVN tree in a GIT repository on my machine. I can access this GIT repository in Windows system with GIT expansion and directly in Visual Studio with the plugin provided by Microsoft.
git.JPG

The last question is why do you stick on very old compilers! I think I already asked you the question but for windows you apparently maintain BCC & VC6 (as well as cygwin & mingw ?).
Why not use the latest free VC11??? It has lots and lots of nice features and is supposed to produced code optimized for recent processors 8)
Also why do you release BCC and VC6 executables?? is one supposed to be less buggy?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:28 pm

I just noticed that https works, didn't go further.

Certainly SVN is a fine system used by pros all around the world. I don't know if other systems are better or not, I know it's controversial. I picked SVN more by chance than anything but while it works there's no reason to learn something else. It's true that up-to-date there was nothing to merge, if there were dozens of contributors uploading code daily that could be different.

This has already been discussed but this thread is appropriate enough.
I like the VC6 IDE better, I'm not the only one. VS6 was Microsoft's peak.
Also for other projects if I use MFC, the wizard is better and the DLL version is the one you're sure to find on all systems.
Progresses in C++ and Visual Studio after VC6 aren't to my liking, and are too high-level to be useful in emulation.
BCC is lightweight and doesn't require any installation. I do use it so compatibilty with this compiler is a requirement. I like it too because it forces you to work with notepad, and sometimes this old-school way helps me.
I don't maintain cygwin & mingw.
There's no problem with being compatible with several compilers.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:46 pm

fair enough :)

I probably tend to be too much attracted by latest technologies even though it is to keep alive our good old Atari 8)
and many thanks for the outstanding work to make Steem better ...

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:38 am

It's like Windows XP: not everybody is impressed by later versions, and users resist.
In the case of C++, M$ went all ".NET" and the standard all "templates", letting down respectively MFC and low-level coders.
I admit those are old tools though. In fact, VS6 is difficult to install on Vista.

Social Media

Return to “Development”