IPF support and tests

A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: IPF support and tests

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Ok I am almost back to speed on the IPF subject :) - Again sorry for wrong information :oops:

I just released today a new version of the IPF documentation V1.0 that corrects some mistakes but mainly provides better CTA (Capture Tool Analyzer) information. The example of "Theme Park Mistery" has now much more information about how the Copylock protection is coded in an IPF file (including Copylock Block Descriptor). http://info-coach.fr/atari/software/pro ... tation.pdf
I still have to work on the CAPS/IPF library documentation but http://info-coach.fr/atari/software/pro ... index.html is a good starting point.

All these documents are available from the IPF Project page http://info-coach.fr/atari/software/projects/IPF.php

Back to the original AtariZoll post: Yes it should be feasible to take an image of a 9/10 sectors / track FD and modify only the data (and CRC) of the data record. For non protected FD this should be enough because timing are not important. But of course this will not work for protected FD. However I still think that for unprotected FD it is probably easier to directly take the ST/MSA and convert to IPF.

As you may be aware (look at the document above) CTA can only create IPF image for original FD NOT created on an Atari but created by "Mastering System". This is due to the fact that creating FD on an Atari require to first format the FD then to write the data in the sectors. This creates sector write splice that indicates a non mastered FD. See documentation above and http://info-coach.fr/atari/software/pro ... ormats.pdf
Last edited by DrCoolZic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Of course, best would be to have SW for converting unprotected ST, MSA of diverse formats to IPF, with standard sector gaps, and as possible option to set skew and interleave (and maybe gaps too). The question is do we have enough specs of IPF format to do it ?
I'm not against GMO, I'm against that children play with fire.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Of course, best would be to have SW for converting unprotected ST, MSA of diverse formats to IPF, with standard sector gaps, and as possible option to set skew and interleave (and maybe gaps too). The question is do we have enough specs of IPF format to do it ?

The main source of information is the source code. Unfortunately certainly not good enough to write IPF file. This is why I have written the documentation. When no protection are involved the format is not so complex apart from the gaps and my doc should be enough. When protection are involved it is becoming very hard to write IPF file but it has been done for Amiga.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:Of course, best would be to have SW for converting unprotected ST, MSA of diverse formats to IPF, with standard sector gaps, and as possible option to set skew and interleave (and maybe gaps too). The question is do we have enough specs of IPF format to do it ?

The main source of information is the source code. Unfortunately certainly not good enough to write IPF file. This is why I have written the documentation. When no protection are involved the format is not so complex apart from the gaps and my doc should be enough. When protection are involved it is becoming very hard to write IPF file but it has been done for Amiga.

Yes, there's a set of utilities posted in kryoflux forum by Keir Fraser that allow to convert a format to another, using a list of known protection scheme to automatically interpret the stream (for Amiga). The config file include some template for MSDOS disks, I haven't tried it too much, but it seems restricted to a few basics formats.
But maybe it could be another way to do the conversion st/msa<->ipf conversion ; it could be worth to contact the author (nice things is that it's a command line tool, so it works under any OS)

This would be much more flexible than replacing sector data / crc in a known ipf file, but would require more work too (instead of using some IPF files as a template)

Nicolas

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Yep

I know I already have a converter from Stream & IPF to ST format for non protected game. But this is a different story :(

Social Media

Return to “Development”