Steem SSE 3.6 bug reports

A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Steem SSE 3.5 bug reports

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:08 am

Is there a list of non working ipf games?
or a list of working ipf games?

500cc Grand Prix (Europe) IPF does not load
Academy - Tau Ceti II (Europe) IPF crash at load
Addictaball (Europe) IPF display seems garbage
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons - Heroes of the Lance - A DragonLance Action Game (Europe) IPF do not succeed to load disk C ?
Advanced Fruit Machine Simulator (Europe)

Question is it possible to specify a specific disk when several in one archive?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Steem SSE 3.5 bug reports

Postby DrCoolZic » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:13 am

Bllod Money STX: Very strange behavior!

As it did not work I went to option SSE and changed STE to STF in this mode the disk do not even load?
So I went back to STE and it works with your version and my version ????
May be a problem with the status of something stuck

Is it normal that the disk does not load in STF mode?

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Steem SSE 3.6 bug reports

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:55 pm

Blood Money works, IPF + STX, STF + STE.

DrCoolZic wrote:Question is it possible to specify a specific disk when several in one archive?

Yes, just use right click.

So I changed the name of the thread, please use it for bug reports on v3.6. You always trash my Coming soon thread!
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm

mOa
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mOa » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Hello

Thank you for the great work on STeem

I've noticed that sound is garbled in:

http://demozoo.org/productions/65969/

I'm using STEem SSE 3.6.0 with Write cursor method - 40 ms

I think it's STe only. I've noticed others STe sound bugs but can't remember the demos :? Maybe Unit 17?

Thank you

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi

I have an odd bug report.

English for Business (alpah flight crk). Doesnt work with SSE. but works in old Steem 3.2.

I include the image file so you can have a check.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Thx for those reports, I'll check them out.
But first I'm installing another killer feature in the Boiler.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Marcer wrote:Hi

I have an odd bug report.

English for Business (alpah flight crk). Doesnt work with SSE. but works in old Steem 3.2.

I include the image file so you can have a check.

Broken in v3.5.1, still OK with Pasti, easy to fix, it's really me introducing bugs in something that worked well in Steem. :roll:

mOa wrote:Hello

Thank you for the great work on STeem

I've noticed that sound is garbled in:

http://demozoo.org/productions/65969/

I'm using STEem SSE 3.6.0 with Write cursor method - 40 ms

I think it's STe only. I've noticed others STe sound bugs but can't remember the demos :? Maybe Unit 17?

Thank you

This is more annoying. Without option 'Microwire' sound isn't lost but you lose FX as well.
The 3rd party code I use for DSP is really buggy. Before I find something else, I'll just disable the treble control.

Thx again.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 am

This will likely cause some headache :D
And is likely related with discussed problem with Future Wars.

Ultimate Ride crashes after selecting bike in emulators.
This is certainly emulation error in case of Ultimate Ride. Error happens in Hatari too, just to mention.
I tested on real Mega STE, so TOS 2.06 with 2 versions: 1 HD floppy image (used HxC) with all files, and 3 floppy images - same as original, only that manual protection is removed. Both worked well on real HW.
In case of 1 disk HD version it asked for bike disk, and after pressing fire continued with same floppy (of course) . On emulators it crashes before scenery disk change request, after doing file read (trap #1, $ 3F - saw in Debugger, and SSE shows it too) . I tried different TOS versions, slow disk mode, but nothing helped. Same is with 3 floppy version - crash before requesting disk 2. Same is if using STX files.
I attach HD image and 3 SS SD images. Ne need for STX - there is no copy protection for sure. Additional error observed: can not open or read HD floppy image (18 sectors/track) in Steem SSE when slow disk mode is checked on.
Additional note: there is Automation crack of Ultimate Ride, which works in emulators - it uses depacking of files on fly - via hooked Trap #1 calls, and I don't see other difference. Pretty interesting ..

ULTIMRID.ZIP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm here to discuss. To say what I think, share my experiences. That means not that I will not complain when someone claims that Moon is square. Will complain when someone jumps in without reading carefully what is written. Ah, and don't ask from me something you can self do easily - like search :D

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:23 am

Known problem in Hatari since some months, in fact the version on BBC Menu 34 has the same problem. Didn't have time to look at it, debugging program using TOS calls is often a pain.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Correction: it is not emulator bug but rather sloppy game code. You need to disable floppy B, then reset ST, and after that will be OK.
Why I did not notice it earlier ? Because by me it is default that floppy B is disabled, but it was not thanx to snapshot of Future Wars posted by greatguy :D So, here is answer too how to solve crash when running Future Wars in emulators .
I'm here to discuss. To say what I think, share my experiences. That means not that I will not complain when someone claims that Moon is square. Will complain when someone jumps in without reading carefully what is written. Ah, and don't ask from me something you can self do easily - like search :D

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:19 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Additional error observed: can not open or read HD floppy image (18 sectors/track) in Steem SSE when slow disk mode is checked on.

Is this an error? There were no such disks on the Atari ST. Steem (SSE?) assumes 11 sectors max, Slow drive is incompatible with 'HD' images.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:21 am

It is minor error. Mega STE has support for HD floppy drives, and I used HD floppies 23 years ago on my modded 520 ST . 20 sectors/track worked well - I have bunch of those floppies, and most is still well readable.
Surely, there was no SW published in that format for ST, STE machines. But we users were smarter than companies :mrgreen:
Fact is that in Steem 3.2 HD floppy images work in slow (accurate disk ..) mode, which is of course less accurate than in Steem SSE. I think that this is low priority something, and should be not too hard to solve - double density than by double density disks - so sector reading time is 2x less, and gap times too, of course.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:18 am

AtariZoll wrote: I think that this is low priority something, and should be not too hard to solve - double density than by double density disks - so sector reading time is 2x less, and gap times too, of course.

Note that that is possible under Hatari since some years, it supports HD (x2) and ED (x4) ; as you say, this requires dividing timings by 2 or 4 to keep a consistent result (5 revolutions per second)

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 pm

If it should work then I'll look into it. But it still works (I hope) in fast mode, which is more important. Thx for the report.

Edit: done!

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:37 am

Hi, i have an odd bug report. When i pick fullscreen view it allways turn into black screens. Os xp and win7 tested. Steem 3.2 works doh.

Skickat från min C6903 via Tapatalk
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:38 pm

Marcer wrote:Hi, i have an odd bug report. When i pick fullscreen view it allways turn into black screens. Os xp and win7 tested. Steem 3.2 works doh.

Skickat från min C6903 via Tapatalk

Could you check SSE options 'Display size', 'Interpolated scanlines', 'VSync' and 'Triple buffering'?
Is the problem with v3.6.0 or previous SSE versions as well?
Also in SSE emulation stops when you go fullscreen.

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 pm

tested all ways. got black screen or crap stuff on screen.

also while testing titles. I noticed an Full screen intro from elite (which others works) but just this one I cant get passed.

it appears after the game intro.
- FTP... Ask for info
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Marcer wrote:tested all ways. got black screen or crap stuff on screen.

also while testing titles. I noticed an Full screen intro from elite (which others works) but just this one I cant get passed.

indeed, the intro text in the bottom of the screen is cutted. and impossible to pass it.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:38 pm

Marcer wrote:tested all ways. got black screen or crap stuff on screen.

Is the problem with v3.6.0 or previous SSE versions as well?

Seems to be broken in v3.6.0, thx for the report.

Edit: sometimes it works, sometimes it fails, needs more investigating.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:47 am

Marcer wrote:also while testing titles. I noticed an Full screen intro from elite (which others works) but just this one I cant get passed.

Argh! There was a silly syntax bug in the VBI (vertical blank interrupt) routine, and this caused the cracker intro of this game to lose overscan (and keyboard control).
I'm surprised not more was broken.
Demoniak didn't work in Steem 3.2. It was OK in v3.5.1 (more or less!) and has been fixed again in v3.6.1. But you need to set wake up state option to WU1 (WS1 or WS3). I know it's annoying to do that but that seems to be correct emulation.
I've added it in my brag pages:
http://ataristeven.t15.org/Steem_games.htm#Demoniak

Thx again for the report
Last edited by Steven Seagal on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:40 pm

I'd like to report two issues in the latest Boiler 3.6.2:

- Mouse Wheel doesn't work in The boiler Room (works fine in the Memory/Instruction Browser)
- Coordinates and video address on right click - X and Y show wrong coordiantes and video memory address is always $0

I see on http://ataristeven.t15.org/Steem_Boiler.htm that you have added a lot of really cool features like Display current interrupt or Copy code in clipboard. Thanks for that
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:37 am

- Mouse wheel works but you must click in first. For the browsers, I made sure that it works at once.
- Coordinates assume "borders always on","384x270" size to spare code, start at -30 for top border
- Video ram address works only if "sdp lines" is checked in new SSE/control mask browser option
Maybe in next version it displays nothing if not checked
- Display interrupt is handy but is often overloaded
- http://ataristeven.t15.org/Steem_Boiler.htm is outdated, there's even more, check SSE menu and
the end of http://ataristeven.t15.org/Steem_361_coming_soon.htm
- Appreciate, those features are useful to me too of course, but I give you the power (without the price)!

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:20 am

ok, now works fine :)
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Hi Steven, below you can find my concerns regarding build 3.6.2:
- when I start Steem I see dialog box "Cannot open the snapshot file: "auto.sts". That file exists in Steem folder;
- following code (attached) produces Blue border in Steem and Magenta border on real STE:

Code: Select all

move.w   #$0000,$ffff8240.w
   move.b   #$f,$ffff8241.w

There is also an interesting topic regarding GianaSisters where we came to the conclusion that Profibuch is wrong and there is no LMC mode called "YM -12dB mixing".

thanks

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Cyprian wrote:Hi Steven, below you can find my concerns regarding build 3.6.2:
- when I start Steem I see dialog box "Cannot open the snapshot file: "auto.sts". That file exists in Steem folder;

You may receive that message if loading the snapshot would crash Steem (C++ try/catch).
It doesn't happen all the time I hope, also when you delete that file. Steem v3.6.2 is usable for you?

- following code (attached) produces Blue border in Steem and Magenta border on real STE:

Code: Select all

move.w   #$0000,$ffff8240.w
   move.b   #$f,$ffff8241.w

It was OK in v3.2, I copied something from Hatari where they were wrong apparently, it does the same (blue).
Thx for the report and the tester, it clarifies things.

There is also an interesting topic regarding GianaSisters where we came to the conclusion that Profibuch is wrong and there is no LMC mode called "YM -12dB mixing".

thanks

Thx, I'll check that.
About Microwire, in Steem 3.2 there was no real emulation, in current version there's emu of volumes & bass, not treble because of big dsp issues (crash), it's for later. You must check SSE option 'Microwire'.
It's one of the (very) rare areas where I admit Hatari does better.

Social Media

Return to “Development”