Steem SSE 3.6 bug reports

A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Steem SSE 3.6 bug reports

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon May 27, 2013 5:17 pm

For each version I would now open a "coming soon" thread to announce new features, and a "post-mortem" thread to welcome bug reports.
So, anything wrong in Steem v3.5.X, please report here.

Edit: tried to change the name of the thread, I have the feeling post-mortem isn't clear to everybody.
Edit: changed for v3.6
Last edited by Steven Seagal on Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm

Zorro 2
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Steem SSE 3.5 post-mortem

Postby Zorro 2 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Noting special from this version, you are just the best !

Many thanks mister Steven Seagal :D
Member of NoExtra Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 am

Do not know if this is done on purpose but...
- After a "Release Mouse" it used to be that you just had to click anywhere in the Steem emul windows to "take over mouse". In 3.5.0 you need to click the arrow run in upper left. This is OK but annoying.

- I have placed the Steem 3.5.0 executable in a directory where Steem 3.2 was run. I started 3.5.0 exec, did a reset, and clicked run but Steem never started. I had to remove several state and the .ini file to make it work?

EDIT
====
- Interesting I thought the version of 3.5.0 that I have build was not working. But in fact the problem was with this state files! Now version done with VS2012 is working fine

- FYI: I still have a problem with the debug build. The program crash and when i start the VC++ debugger it breaks on an assert line 246 of fdc.cpp : ASSERT(shifter_freq==50) if I continue it works fine untill next time it reaches the same assert (related to motor spin up time)?

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:14 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Do not know if this is done on purpose but...
- After a "Release Mouse" it used to be that you just had to click anywhere in the Steem emul windows to "take over mouse". In 3.5.0 you need to click the arrow run in upper left. This is OK but annoying.

- I have placed the Steem 3.5.0 executable in a directory where Steem 3.2 was run. I started 3.5.0 exec, did a reset, and clicked run but Steem never started. I had to remove several state and the .ini file to make it work?

EDIT
====
- Interesting I thought the version of 3.5.0 that I have build was not working. But in fact the problem was with this state files! Now version done with VS2012 is working fine

- FYI: I still have a problem with the debug build. The program crash and when i start the VC++ debugger it breaks on an assert line 246 of fdc.cpp : ASSERT(shifter_freq==50) if I continue it works fine untill next time it reaches the same assert (related to motor spin up time)?

- For mouse, check SSE option page 'Capture mouse' and General page 'Start emulation on mouse click', it could be unchecked.
- When you have strange crashes, it may be a good idea to delete auto.sts, sometimes it really messes up. Ini should be safer.
- The ASSERT you mention, it was because 'accurate' mode was assumed to operate at low res for games/demos in 3.5.0.
I made something better in 3.5.1.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for info

ecureuil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ecureuil » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:57 pm

Hello,

I have seen you tagged the v3.5.1.linux. This version seems not compile with my ubuntu? Could you confirm or infirm it because i will interested to build SSE on Linux for my usage.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:56 am

I have looked at Crackdown STX 2 disks.
It doesn't work in Steem 3.2, 3.5.1, nor in SainT 2.20.
I suspect the image is wrong because the one disk version works. Of course, not sure.

Shazz
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Shazz » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your work !!! Really.

Is it possible to have a little change when screenshots are generated :
file : display.Cpp
line : 1384

if (AddNumExt){
int Num=0;
do{
if (++Num >= 1000) return DDERR_GENERIC;
ShotFile=ScreenShotFol+SLASH+FirstWord+"_"+(EasyStr("000")+Num).Rights(3)+"."+Exts;
}while (Exists(ShotFile));
}

Can you or increase the "1000" value to anything bigger (10000 ?) + "000", or better to make it configurable ?
999 => only 20s of data....
...8bits are enough...

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:I have looked at Crackdown STX 2 disks.
I suspect the image is wrong because the one disk version works. Of course, not sure.

Or exactly, what the original 2 disks release is searching for ?
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:04 pm

Shazz wrote:Hi,

Thanks for your work !!! Really.

Is it possible to have a little change when screenshots are generated :
file : display.Cpp
line : 1384

if (AddNumExt){
int Num=0;
do{
if (++Num >= 1000) return DDERR_GENERIC;
ShotFile=ScreenShotFol+SLASH+FirstWord+"_"+(EasyStr("000")+Num).Rights(3)+"."+Exts;
}while (Exists(ShotFile));
}

Can you or increase the "1000" value to anything bigger (10000 ?) + "000", or better to make it configurable ?
999 => only 20s of data....

Sure, it seems easy. Configurable, maybe not.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:07 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:

At this point I don't know anymore than what I stated. The simplest case is "bad disk image". If the image is correct, it could be harder to find.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:24 pm

ecureuil wrote:Hello,

I have seen you tagged the v3.5.1.linux. This version seems not compile with my ubuntu? Could you confirm or infirm it because i will interested to build SSE on Linux for my usage.

I've just uploaded a file "Building Linux SSE.txt" in the X-build folder, this was missing... :(
[r41] Linux build info

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:

At this point I don't know anymore than what I stated. The simplest case is "bad disk image". If the image is correct, it could be harder to find.

The protection is failing. What i remember when i made the STX images, is that my original disks were pferfectly working (it was a sealed copy when i bought it).
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:53 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:The protection is failing. What i remember when i made the STX images, is that my original disks were pferfectly working (it was a sealed copy when i bought it).

The disks may be good and the images may be bad, I don't know if that's the case, but it happens.
When you say "the protection is failing" do you know for a fact that it acted like this when failing?

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:56 am

Steven Seagal wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:The protection is failing. What i remember when i made the STX images, is that my original disks were pferfectly working (it was a sealed copy when i bought it).

The disks may be good and the images may be bad, I don't know if that's the case, but it happens.
When you say "the protection is failing" do you know for a fact that it acted like this when failing?

Yes, i remember sending the STX images to an amiga cracker (the ST release has many things which were not implemented in the amiga release).

He has more or less hinted me about an emulator problem. Not that the disk images were wrong..... Maybe dr coolzic could take a look at this one ?

Shazz
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Shazz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Cool ! Please let me know when available :)

Steven Seagal wrote:Sure, it seems easy. Configurable, maybe not.
...8bits are enough...

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Shazz wrote:Cool ! Please let me know when available :)

In fact it's already in the current beta. :)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:53 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:
Steven Seagal wrote:

Yes, i remember sending the STX images to an amiga cracker (the ST release has many things which were not implemented in the amiga release).

He has more or less hinted me about an emulator problem. Not that the disk images were wrong..... Maybe dr coolzic could take a look at this one ?

EDIT : after looking a bit, this game uses an 11 sector format (11x512 bytes per track). There is a short protection track in track 79.0 on disk 1, and there is another one on disk 2.

Maybe this one use a flakey bit protection ?

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:34 am

dlfrsilver wrote:EDIT : after looking a bit, this game uses an 11 sector format (11x512 bytes per track). There is a short protection track in track 79.0 on disk 1, and there is another one on disk 2.

Maybe this one use a flakey bit protection ?

Normally Pasti can handle all those things.
But if it somehow fails, there's nothing we can do, it's a black box.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:32 am

Question:
If I do not have any disk in drive A then the system boot from drive C (the option When drive A is empty boot from C is set in Hard Drives form). In this case the programs located in AUTO folder are executed as expected.
Now if I mount a "blank" (just formatted) FD (using .st image) in the Disk Manager form and reboot the system, the system still boot from C drive? Is this normal? Even more strange in this case even though it uses the DESKTOP.INF file and mount the C drive it does not excute any programs located in the AUTO folder ???

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:49 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Question:
If I do not have any disk in drive A then the system boot from drive C (the option When drive A is empty boot from C is set in Hard Drives form). In this case the programs located in AUTO folder are executed as expected.
Now if I mount a "blank" (just formatted) FD (using .st image) in the Disk Manager form and reboot the system, the system still boot from C drive? Is this normal? Even more strange in this case even though it uses the DESKTOP.INF file and mount the C drive it does not excute any programs located in the AUTO folder ???

Thx for the report.
I've already seen strange behaviour with HD/boot.
One day I'll look into it.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:41 am

Considering that strange boot behaviour: it is actually TOS imperfection, to say so. During warm boot, system variable bootdevice remains as C, after C boot session, and will boot from hard disk, again. Correction in Steem would be to delete (set to A) that system variable when there is regular floppy in drive A. Or disable C in some way ...
I'm not against GMO, I'm against that children play with fire.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:42 am

I'm not against GMO, I'm against that children play with fire.

Blerk
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Steem SSE 3.5 bug reports

Postby Blerk » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi,

Bit of a strange regression, but... if you turn on the 'record' option in the sound control panel to record ST output to a WAV file you can no longer hear any sound coming out of the speakers in (at least) 3.5.3 and 3.5.4. The sound does record okay to the file but if you can't hear what's being recorded it's a bit difficult to know when to stop. :)

This did work okay in 3.5.0 (I've still got a copy of that kicking around for when I want to record).

Thanks for all the hard work updating Steem, it's great to see it up and running again!

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Steem SSE 3.5 bug reports

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:57 am

Blerk wrote:Hi,

Bit of a strange regression, but... if you turn on the 'record' option in the sound control panel to record ST output to a WAV file you can no longer hear any sound coming out of the speakers in (at least) 3.5.3 and 3.5.4. The sound does record okay to the file but if you can't hear what's being recorded it's a bit difficult to know when to stop. :)

This did work okay in 3.5.0 (I've still got a copy of that kicking around for when I want to record).

Thanks for all the hard work updating Steem, it's great to see it up and running again!

Thx for reporting, I'll check and certainly debug for next version!

Social Media

Return to “Development”