A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

marcelschoen
Atari User
Atari User

Steem Idea: Remote Control

Postby marcelschoen » Wed May 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi folks,

I'm carrying an idea around with me for an Eclipse plugin which would allow to write Atari software on a PC. For several reasons, such a plugin would need to incorporate an emulator (obviously). But not only to execute the program, maybe also to help build it. Example: Let's say I'd build a GFA Basic editor in Eclipse, but don't want to actually port the GFA Compiler. It would be great if the plugin could keep the emulator in a running state, with pre-installed tools like the GFA compiler, and then would just install the GFA sources into the emulation, launch the compiler, and afterwords evaluate the result.

All of that would require that the emulator could receive some kind of signal which would then translate to events in the emulated TOS / GEM environment. Of course one could always just try to generate mouse / keyboard events, but I'm note sure if that would be a very robust approach.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Regards,
Marcel

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Steem Idea: Remote Control

Postby Hippy Dave » Thu May 16, 2013 6:53 pm

This may already be possible with Hatari with the −−control-socket command line argument,
or simply with: hatari [ Atari program ]. Also: hatari --help

If you can launch programs in Steem similarly to: steem [ Atari program ]
and have the program leave data in a pc/emulator directory, you may be able
get what you want with several commands.

marcelschoen
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Steem Idea: Remote Control

Postby marcelschoen » Sun May 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks for the input. Well, running a program with "hatari <program>" will most likely boot up the emulated Atari system first; which is what I want to avoid (you know, the memory check, AUTO-folder processing etc.). That is why I am looking for a way to send commands to an already running emulator. I will check out the control-socket feature of Hatari - thanks for mentioning it!

Regards,
Marcel

Social Media

Return to “Development”