SSE Roadmap

A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

SSE Roadmap

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:15 am

Since Steem is open source, to avoid possible double work, here's what I plan to do for a next version (3.5) of the SSE branch, beside debugging:

- IPF (Kryoflux/CAPS) support: I will start working on it soon, it could take some time. It seems that it's not a drive emulation like Pasti, you just get the data on the disk, the rest is up to you. That means support will likely be progressive. If some expert wants to do it instead, just say so, I let it down.

Edit: I actually started it now
Edit2: contrary to what I thought, you don't get just the data, you get a full WD1772 emulation in the CAPS plugin. It should allow 100% support,but we're not there yet.
Edit3: it's in. Now I started looking into AVI recording. Edit4: done too, sort of.

Here's the rest of the TODO list for future versions, in no definite order, just ideas, but I think the first one would be cool, so that Youtube be flooded by Steem's rendering of all demos!

Code: Select all

- Record video (to AVI)
- Systematic fix for 508/512 cycle counting issue (Omega)
- ACIA/MIDI corrections
- Real timings for 6301 / check SS_IKBD_RUN_IRQ_TO_END: hack?
+ Adjust this with a clock + Captain Blood?
- Event for write to IKBD, but would it be useful?
- TRACE can be commanded by boiler log options ?
+ redesign system, like all others do: trace(type,msg)? note: no perf loss
- Support for unrar.dll
- Check if TOS1.00 sould boot with 4MB
- Fix FETCH_TIMING/prefetch: not easy
- OSD shifted in 'large' display mode
- 'redraw' in this mode
- better OSD "Steem SSE" logo
- Boiler: real callstack
- Boiler: "run to RTS"
- monochrome demos
- Overdrive/Dragon + a common way for all "unstable" overscan
- Eliminate magic constants in gui
- syndic84
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: SSE Roadmap

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:06 am

Here's the current 'TODO' list.
Some points are only remote prospects (the first two to begin with).

Code: Select all

- Unicode
- printing directly on a PC printer?
- Systematic fix for 508/512 cycle counting issue (Omega)
- ACIA/MIDI corrections
- Event for write to IKBD, but would it be useful?
- Check if TOS1.00 sould boot with 4MB (MMU)
- OSD shifted in 'large' display mode
- 'redraw' in this mode
- use Direct3D
- better OSD "Steem SSE" logo
- Boiler: real callstack
- Boiler: "run to RTS"
- Boiler: mouse wheel
- monochrome demos
- Overdrive/Dragon + a common way for all "unstable" overscan
- Eliminate magic constants in gui
- correct C++ structure (obj for each C++)
- unix: SSE options icon
- cycles: ROM access isn't shared with shifter
- cycles: CPU vs HBL
- don't crash at corrupt snapshot ('try'?)
- IPF + Pasti Blood Money (CPU?) note bytes are different
- Check if image in zip OK (eg no IPF for pasti), maybe complicated
- automatically switch to Pasti (but linked with above?)
- Move all shifter IO to object shifter
- SLM804 laser printer, yeah right
- IPF support for Linux build
- examine SDL possibilities
- sdl option + grey out sdl if unavailable
- bugaboo reset
- PP38: joystick shouldn't work on all STF?
- syndic84 pre-version?
- blitter emu lacks sthg for "smudge"?
- STE wake up states? (Forest)
- Load snaphost -> pasti mention?
- trace level option eg ikbd just commands / all IO
- ikbd command interpreter (debug) common to true & fake
- look at mingw
- other VS builds

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:09 pm

Yo
I first opened this thread in case someone else would join forces.
It didn't happen but that's fine too, it was just in case, to avoid double work.
Now that it exists, it's a good thread to announce Steem events at the source level (programming) rather than the end result (release).
So, here goes:

The main IDE is now Visual Studio 2008. It's a fine IDE after all. It greys out undefined parts, for example.
There's a preliminary MINGW build.
BCC and VC6 builds are still supported.
I'm implementing Direct3D in VS2008, here's a nice screenshot:
d3d_render8.png

DirectX is a good justification for using C++ BTW.

When or if it works, I'll try to port it back to VC6 and BCC, maybe MINGW.

Also, I now use Tortoise SVN instead of the command-line, impressive software, it makes partial uploads easier, so there should be more of them, instead of a megaupload. It's still the same repo at sourceforge, of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 pm

About Direct3D, it turns out that it's less flexible and handy than deprecated DirectDraw. Tricks that work with DD don't work with D3D, like blitting between buffers of different sizes. Integration with GDI (Windows dialogs) is also dismal.
Plus, fullscreen may work worse with D3D (as reported, as seen on WinUAE).
Thanks for nothing Microsoft.
So I limit objectives. D3D will only be used to add 2 optional fullscreen options, windowed mode stays DD.
Both D3D fullscreen options will use same resolution as your desktop (normally max rez on a LCD). One option will show a crisp double-pixel ST screen centred on your PC screen, the other option will stretch the screen to the max while preserving aspect ratio.
Here are examples on my 1280x1024 display:

d3d_render19.png

Crisp, but small

d3d_render18.png

Big, but fuzzy (looks better with games, demos)

Since it doesn't use the other Steem resolutions (800x600...), I have hopes it will work on many systems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 am

I switched to VS2008 for Direct3D, but it could be ported back to VC6 and Borland, so all those compilers are able to build a fully featured Steem. Except I can't seem to "delay load" DLL with BCC. BCC is old, but much faster than VC6 and especially VS2008 to build from scratch, like 10 times!
The help system in VS2008 generally helps you with "link not found" info. Thanks for nothing...

Roadmap from here, beside bugfixes:
- SCP support, building on the new WD1772 emu that runs STW images. In fact it's almost there, it "just" misses conversion from flux to MFM now. Gonna be fun.
- Refactoring Shifter trick reckoning to waste less resources. The idea is a simple table with FREQ and RES at important thresholds, instead of look-up functions that always must compute cycles.

Regarding pasti, I still hope that one day a better pasti.dll will come, so we leave it as is, too bad if some STX images run in Hatari but not in Steem.

Someone started improving video recording but I got no other news. It's been removed in v3.7, because it's really bad, hence useless.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:07 am

And a nice feature of VS2008, a window with compile errors, separate from warnings.
Long time VC6 users will understand.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 pm

And some news relevant to source hosting:

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... t-hosting/

Peter Bright wrote:Google Code is to join the long list of Google projects that have been consigned to the dustbin of history. The open source project hosting service will no longer be accepting new project submissions as of today, will no longer be accepting updates to existing projects from August 24, and will be closed entirely on January 25, 2016.

A few recent actions by the company in the past months may have been harbingers of the closure. In December, Google moved its libphonenumber project for parsing phone numbers from Google Code to GitHub. Last month, the company released a new library for building distributed applications named grpc, and this too used GitHub, not Google Code.

For actively maintained projects, there should be ample time to migrate to alternative platforms. Exporting to GitHub is probably easiest, as Google has an export-to-GitHub tool. SourceForge has an import-from-Google Code feature, and there are also standalone tools for migrating to Bitbucket.

The bigger problem will be the projects that are in limbo. A common feature of all open source project platforms—SourceForge, GitHub, Bitbucket, Microsoft's CodePlex, Google Code, and every other—is that projects get abandoned. Developers get bored, busy, or feel that a piece of code is as good as it's ever going to be. The result is lots of projects that are no longer actively maintained. This, however, does not mean that those projects are no longer useful.

Google says that it will allow tarballs of projects (including source code, issues lists, and wiki pages) to be downloaded through the end of 2016. After that, however, it seems that the projects will be no more.

The company says that the closure is due to Google Code being inundated with spam and abuse and that these problems had come to dominate the workload of administering the service. When it was launched in 2006, there were fewer good project hosting options, but with services such as GitHub and Bitbucket now available, there's no great need for Google to have its own solution.

So maybe people will stop linking to Hatari doc in Steem repo.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:08 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:Roadmap from here, beside bugfixes:
- SCP support, building on the new WD1772 emu that runs STW images. In fact it's almost there, it "just" misses conversion from flux to MFM now. Gonna be fun.

Quoting myself, I looked at this today and it's awfully complicated.
I wonder if reading SCP images wouldn't easier be done by the CAPSimg plugin where there's already a low-level bit by bit emulation.
But why would it? Apparently they're competitors.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Jim Drew has said he would offer help for any programmers that would like to add SCP support to their programs, so try and contact him :)

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:39 am

Well, I'm not sure where to post this info.
There's been a discussion about hard disk emulation here.
I'd like to introduce "ACSI" hard disk emulation in Steem without Pasti, but it raises some questions.
Unless it already exists (?), I'd like to make a convenient image file converter (ST img <-> PC file structure), but not sure if this should be an apart utility or in Steem. In both cases it seems more involved than a "point release" should be.
So current plan is to release v3.7.2 with already showcased features (HFE, 7Z), which are just logical improvements on v3.7 and v3.7.1. This could be released by the end of this month so that the ST world has unforgettable holidays.
ACSI emu is of a different nature and would be saved for future v3.8 (but is already available in beta).

EDIT: the utility already exists, but unless there's a clamour for it, ACSI emu being a new feature, it should appear with v3.8, not 3.7.2.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:21 am

Update on the roadmap.
v3.8.0 is planned end February 2016, this gives me time to do some long overdue refactoring.
If you're impatient, just get on the beta distribution list.
Planned features:
- "ACSI" hard disk emulation (done)
- configuration files (*.cfg) for specific games or demos (todo)
- internal changes (timings, Shifter tricks...) (almost done)
- some features based on requests (todo)

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:33 am

Some more source commenting...

So I did the refactoring of video emulation, in various phases.
- Compute limit timings for Shifter tricks when choosing the ST type (STF/STE and wake-up state), not each time we check overscan (each scanline!)
- Replace Steem's fixed frame timings with a GLU-like function computing screen timings on the go at each "event" (interrupts, screen, drive, etc).
This was the most involving change. It could cost some more cycles though I can't confirm it in the task manager.
At least now, scanlines can be 508 or 512 cycles, there will be no more confusion. This allows us to remove a couple of hacks. For example, "nojitter.tos" works naturally, before there was some compensation.
- Move code from Shifter to Glue object, because most Shifter tricks actually abuse the GLU. That's trivial.
- And last step, hold a table with shift and sync modes at all relevant scanline timings, so that when we check for overscan, we just read the table (mode[n] in C) instead of using look-up functions (mode_at_cycle(n) in C) that crawl back in another table with timings of shift or sync mode changes... and surprise, performance was worse. Apparently, filling up the first table at each sync or shift mode change costs more cycles than using (a lot of) functions to step through the timing table at each scanline. I didn't expect that. This last change has been reverted.

[by the way, I was logged out while typing this, a good thing I always ctrl-C before I try to post]

EDIT: BTW, doing some checks, CPU use gets higher (4x) on plasma screens such as RGBeast or spectrum pics like Overscan demos. In other words, palette changes. Because Steem renders at each such change. Overscan tricks are no big load.

Kochise
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Kochise » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:09 pm

As you're refactoring, could it be possible to modularize everything and offer plugins to support more disk formats or even exotic hardwares so that you could extend Steem SSE into an Atari that never existed (like 68040 + DSP + AGA TrueColor + ...). Yeah, I know, it would looks like a... MESS :/

And a stable emulated CPU running at maximum host CPU speed (always dreamed of a ST running at 1.6 GHz instead of 16 MHz).

EDIT: converted HMz into MHz

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:18 am

Kochise wrote:As you're refactoring, could it be possible to modularize everything and offer plugins to support more disk formats or even exotic hardwares so that you could extend Steem SSE into an Atari that never existed (like 68040 + DSP + AGA TrueColor + ...). Yeah, I know, it would looks like a... MESS :/

And a stable emulated CPU running at maximum host CPU speed (always dreamed of a ST running at 1.6 GHz instead of 16 MHz).

EDIT: converted HMz into MHz

This post looks more like a request, it's not really refactoring.
- Which more disk formats? Steem runs everything!
- Steem SSE is strictly STF + STE, this is enough for me. Other people may start another branch.
And "AGA"... :roll:
- Max speed is currently 256mhz. I can extend to 512 for more powerful PC if there's a demand for it, no problemo.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:28 am

update http://sourceforge.net/p/steemsse/code/426/
Feature 'configuration file' is in, far easier to do than I thought, because we basically load/save steem.ini with another name selected by the player.
This also means those files are easy to manually edit. Extension is 'ini'.
So it seems all planned features are in. Release date isn't changed, and I take no more requests (except the '512 mhz', because it's just a compile switch). This gives me time, hopefully there will be fewer bugs than usual this time.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:13 am

Roadmap update

Yesterday I experimented with Direct3D windows (not fullscreen) and it seems it could work, more or less.
I'm tempted to offer 2 builds in the future: one using DirectDraw, one using Direct3D, for windows as well as fullscreen.
This would reduce the footprint and option complexity.
OTOH, it seems WinUAE provides support for both in only one build.
Opinions welcome...

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:43 am

'configuration file' is a nice feature, I'm going to use that functionality. But would be cool to have 'Profiles' option (e.g. in General tab) where we could save and easily choose different Steem setup.
Regarding Direct3D/DirectDraw would be cool to have one build with support for both method.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu May 26, 2016 7:45 am

Finally installed Visual Studio Community 2015.
For those who still don't know, it's complete, and it's totally free! We must remove the $ in M$.
It builds the current version, but I notice the executable is bigger than with VS2008.
That means that one day, maybe there will be a x64 build. It will be interesting to check all behaviour that depends on 32bit.

EDIT:
But be aware that you need to "sign in" after a month.
For me it's no problem, my former Hotmail (now outlook) email address is enough.
Don't know how often you need to do it, it was a surprise today.

EDIT2:
There's an experimental x64 build running, but it's made with VS2008, I wasn't even aware it could target x64.
In fact VS2015 is a 32bit app too.

Social Media

Return to “Development”