A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: The Steven Seagal build!

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Yo,
Here's a screenshot of "Lemmings 40" in the next version of Steem (I resisted doing that but you made me do it :wink: ):

In the current version, the menu says it's no STF, that's what I fixed by having no crash when the STF accesses STE addresses, but they're different from the ones read by ST-CNX, where you must crash.
But the borders here look to be removed, are you talking of the more mysterious BBC52 case?
I guess the problems in Steem and Hatari were different.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:09 am

Hello
from what I see, the intro tests STE or not by writing to $ff820d, which should not a bus error, it would just be ignored on STF and reports $0 when it's read at the next VBL (instead of $a0 on an STE). No exception involved here.

Nicolas

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi dudes (&gals)
I uploaded once again a new "alpha" on my super ST site, as I've done regularly:

http://ataristeven.host898.net/Steem.htm

All supposed improvements are explained there.

This "beta", "alpha" business is quite confusing. With the beta I released the source (twice), not with the alpha (numerous times). They still have the same number (3.3). Both betas were buggy, so was the source uploaded.
Here is what I propose:
1) As this is a 'hack' branch, I'll call it Steem SSE 3.3, SSE standing for "Steven Seagal Edition"... sounds a bit pompous, but it's a way not to usurp Steem 3.3 for myself, in case other branches should appear.
2) For version 3.3 (this one), I go on with the "alphas" until it seems that it's stable enough and doesn't break things that run in Steem 3.2, then I will release v 3.3 plus the source. It should be soon as I don't intend to "fix" anymore programs now, only test & debug what should already work.
3) For version 3.4 and more, I'll upload "beta" propositions without the source. It's less confusing, and less embarrassing for me this way. When v 3.4 is fine, I also upload the source, hopefully debugged.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Broken at this time !

Edit: OK it is back! But apparently no new source

Edit: May I suggest that you organized releases in your wonderful site from last (on top) to first on bottom. Seems more natural to see the latest first?

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:00 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:Edit: OK it is back! But apparently no new source

No, the source will come soon with v 3.3 after testing & debugging. I also removed the outdated "beta" source.

Edit: May I suggest that you organized releases in your wonderful site from last (on top) to first on bottom. Seems more natural to see the latest first?

Your right, it's done.

avtandil
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby avtandil » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Dear Steven !

Seems that you didn't take into account last source code changes I made - please look at http://code.google.com/p/steem-engine/source/list to r64 and r65.

Kindly asking you to update.

Brgds=

Dima-

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:52 pm

I will do that. Still not a master of subversion...

OK, I changed the Russian TOS number, for the rest we see later.
Last edited by Steven Seagal on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:02 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:For information you have placed some inline in .cpp code (macro replacement?) and again this is wrong. Depending on the compiler in most cases this will just be ignored but in most cases it will result in unresolved function by the linker. Here is the rule:
Inline functions: It's imperative that the function's definition (the part between the {...}) be placed in a header file, unless the function is used only in a single .cpp file. In particular, if you put the inline function's definition into a .cpp file and you call it from some other .cpp file, you'll get an "unresolved external" error from the linker.

Cheers Jean

I'd like to come back to this, because it's important.
According to this page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z8y1yy88(v=vs.80).aspx

A class's member functions can be declared inline either by using the inline keyword or by placing the function definition within the class definition.

I compiled in VC6 with warning level 4 and got nothing about non-inlining. Is it possible that BCC would react different?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:For information you have placed some inline in .cpp code (macro replacement?) and again this is wrong. Depending on the compiler in most cases this will just be ignored but in most cases it will result in unresolved function by the linker. Here is the rule:
Inline functions: It's imperative that the function's definition (the part between the {...}) be placed in a header file, unless the function is used only in a single .cpp file. In particular, if you put the inline function's definition into a .cpp file and you call it from some other .cpp file, you'll get an "unresolved external" error from the linker.

Cheers Jean

I'd like to come back to this, because it's important.
According to this page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z8y1yy88(v=vs.80).aspx

A class's member functions can be declared inline either by using the inline keyword or by placing the function definition within the class definition.

I compiled in VC6 with warning level 4 and got nothing about non-inlining. Is it possible that BCC would react different?

Not sure I understand the question? The rules are relatively simple: as you have indicated declaring a function inside a class or with the word inline should result in function inline as long ad declared in a .h file. However if in .cpp the function is inline only if used locally in .cpp file. Think of it as a macro.

The problem with some of the code you have is that you declare a function in a .h file and in the corresponding .cpp file you define (implement) the function with inline. In that case what is happening is that these two functions are different and the linker should complain (this is in VC2010). If this is not happening with VC6 this probably means that the inline keyword is ignored in the .cpp file.
If you think about it, it does not make sense to declare an inline function in a .cpp and hope that the compiler will push it back to the .h file so it can be used elsewhere...

T_B
Atarian
Atarian

Postby T_B » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:33 am

Didn't know Steem was open sourced. Nice.
Will it be possible now to compile it for Linux or are there too many Windows dependencies?

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:32 am

T_B wrote:Didn't know Steem was open sourced. Nice.
Will it be possible now to compile it for Linux or are there too many Windows dependencies?

Hello

the source available on the Steem repository http://code.google.com/p/steem-engine/source/checkout compile fine for me under linux (the build system is not very polished, you have to install some libraries yourself in the good directories).

Now, I see that Dr. Coolzic wanted to remove all linux specific code to "clean" the source and make it works under VC or other windows only IDE. I personnaly think that's a very bad idea to get rid of the Linux code. All the work has been made by Steem authors to have a windows + linux version from the same sources, so losing this seems an error to me. Maybe linux specific codes could be fully isolated in some specific directories (which is more or less the case already). Then if those linux specific parts don't appear under Windows IDE, that doesn't look like a big deal to me.

Nicolas

T_B
Atarian
Atarian

Postby T_B » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:10 pm

npomarede wrote:the source available on the Steem repository http://code.google.com/p/steem-engine/source/checkout compile fine for me under linux (the build system is not very polished, you have to install some libraries yourself in the good directories).
Nicolas

Hmm.. probably too advanced for me to try. I know how to compile stuff and usually find libraries based on error messages but this seems to be a bit beyond my comfort zone.

Edit: I did try it though and installed a bunch of dependencies until I ran into "RtAudio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated." Rtaudio is not in the Ubuntu repository. Tried installing Rtaudio. I did managed to install it, but Steem is still complaining. The .so files are probably not available in the correct directiories as you already mentioned.. /

I agree that it is a bad idea to make it Windows only. Making it platform independent is certainly the best way forward. I understand how this works though, it is a lot of work maintaining such a code base and the less code you have to worry about the better.
Maybe it is possible to make a Windows version with gui and all kind of fancy stuff and only a command line version for Linux?

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:05 pm

T_B wrote:
npomarede wrote:the source available on the Steem repository http://code.google.com/p/steem-engine/source/checkout compile fine for me under linux (the build system is not very polished, you have to install some libraries yourself in the good directories).
Nicolas

Hmm.. probably too advanced for me to try. I know how to compile stuff and usually find libraries based on error messages but this seems to be a bit beyond my comfort zone.

Edit: I did try it though and installed a bunch of dependencies until I ran into "RtAudio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated." Rtaudio is not in the Ubuntu repository. Tried installing Rtaudio. I did managed to install it, but Steem is still complaining. The .so files are probably not available in the correct directiories as you already mentioned.. /

IIRC, rtaudio is not mandatory, you can also compile with portaudio, I don't remember which one I used (I also had to use some older version of these libraries, the API expected by Steem is not the same as the most recent audio libraries)
I agree that it is a bad idea to make it Windows only. Making it platform independent is certainly the best way forward. I understand how this works though, it is a lot of work maintaining such a code base and the less code you have to worry about the better.
Maybe it is possible to make a Windows version with gui and all kind of fancy stuff and only a command line version for Linux?

From what I saw in the sources, Linux code is not that much intrusive in Steem (some parts would need to be organized differently) and I think it would be sad to drop all the works Steem's author put into their linux UI, so keeping a GUI for windows and linux seems useful.
But as you said, I'm not the one who will maintain this code, I already have too much work with Hatari :) I don't think a CLI version of Steem for Linux would have any interest.

Nicolas

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:17 pm

npomarede wrote:Now, I see that Dr. Coolzic wanted to remove all linux specific code to "clean" the source and make it works under VC or other windows only IDE. I personnaly think that's a very bad idea to get rid of the Linux code. All the work has been made by Steem authors to have a windows + linux version from the same sources, so losing this seems an error to me. Maybe linux specific codes could be fully isolated in some specific directories (which is more or less the case already). Then if those linux specific parts don't appear under Windows IDE, that doesn't look like a big deal to me.

Nicolas

The organization of the Steem code is extremely strange: all the .h and .cpp files are included into 3 "central files". Also the included code is dependent of some macros (IN_MAIN in IN_EMU). This organization is very IDE / debugger / improvement unfriendly .... This has been discussed in several threads in Steem development section of the forum.

So I first did some experiment to fully reorganized the source based on the code from Steven viewtopic.php?f=94&t=22138 and created a so called 3.3C and 3.3D sources tree and yes the last version removes the UNIX/Linux code. This was really experimental to make sure reorganizing the sources was possible in a reasonable time

• Based on this experiment I have created a 3.2A tree with extremely minor modification from original 3.2 tree to compile with VC 2010.
  • Based on 3.2A I have fully reorganized the source so that it follows the C++ standard organization of declaration in .h and definition in .cpp (and of course no inclusion of .cpp files). This tree is called 3.2B
During reorganization I have simply ignored the UNIX/LINUX code. Therefore ALL the Linux/UNIX code is still there but some work needs to be done so that the correctly reorganized source compile under Linux. I do not have the intention of doing this work (no access to Linux machine) so if someone is interested by a cleanly organized source tree that compile under Linux he/she can start from my tree and clean the Linux source.
Actually this is so much better to have a well organized source that I think that someone should do the same work for Linux plus most of the work is already done.
see viewtopic.php?f=94&t=22330

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Not making a statement or anything, but some of us simply won't use
Windows machines.

Myself, for example. :)

So it's linux or not at all, as far as the emulator stuff goes for me.

Thanks for all your hard work though.

PS Oh, that's besides my strong basic preference to use "real" Atari hardware
as much as possible, in the first place.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Steem Authors
Steem Developer
Steem Developer

Postby Steem Authors » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Exciting to see all this work and experimentation taking place on the Steem source code! I'm very glad we released it.

The 3rd party libraries e.g. rtaudio need to be downloaded from their appropriate sites into Steem's 3rdparty directory. The compiling instructions tell you what you need to do. At the point we released the source, it will compile for Linux but I don't think it works properly with the latest versions of the audio libraries. There's a bit of work to do here.

I certainly agree that Steem's code could be better organised. We started some work on this but abandoned it as it's so hard to reorganise and disentangle the code. Great if anyone can do this but as various people have said it shouldn't be at the cost of the Linux build. Download a virtual machine and a Linux ISO so you can build and test Steem on your Windows machine - that's the easiest way - but again I'd worry about sound emulation if you're not running Linux natively.

There is lots of room for general code improvements (e.g. macros, nested loop variables) which you should commit if you find them and they are correct.

nash67
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nash67 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Check Flame of Finland menu 50 ESWAT

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:09 pm

DrCoolZic wrote: Not sure I understand the question? The rules are relatively simple: as you have indicated declaring a function inside a class or with the word inline should result in function inline as long ad declared in a .h file. However if in .cpp the function is inline only if used locally in .cpp file. Think of it as a macro.

The problem with some of the code you have is that you declare a function in a .h file and in the corresponding .cpp file you define (implement) the function with inline. In that case what is happening is that these two functions are different and the linker should complain (this is in VC2010). If this is not happening with VC6 this probably means that the inline keyword is ignored in the .cpp file.
If you think about it, it does not make sense to declare an inline function in a .cpp and hope that the compiler will push it back to the .h file so it can be used elsewhere...

I understand now. It works because there's only one practical compilation unit. I'll move all the inline definitions to the h files. I thought the compiler would figure it out.
By the way, I had a strange, inexplicable bug in the BCC5.5 build, that broke a demo, and compiling in VC6, all is OK. I've been looking for a list of BCC5.5 bugs to no avail, now I'll look for an alternative compiler.

Edit, much later, BCC is fine, I still use it. I think I had a bug and due to options, VC6 "covered for it" (probably initialising variables for me), but not BCC.
Last edited by Steven Seagal on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 pm

I am using VC2010 which is a pretty good IDE. I am using the pro version but there is a free version. I am not 100% sure it is possible to buils steem with the free version as some of the libraries may be missing from the free release. But if you have VC6 you should be able to use the VC6 lib?

Dizzy-WEWRF
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Dizzy-WEWRF » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi :)

Is there
any timeframe, a version SSE 3.4 is
expected to be released :D

Or perhaps any compiled beta
for unpatiant ones like me inbetween ;)

awaiting it
Great work
Thanks Dizzy
Everything will become well :)

Dizzy-WEWRF
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Dizzy-WEWRF » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi
an aktual post
with the title "Touch screen control?"
regarding hatari
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=23560&p=212277#p212277
brought me back to some suggestions
I did some time ago via mail :)
As This post requests something similar like
I requested in >G< so perhaps
a non rlative mouse mode would be nice
even for other people not only for me :D
former suggestions:

Possibly some of the suggestions are
not that hard to realize :)

So here we go :

A)
permanent power/fire
(It doesen't mean autofire , it really means two
checkboxes in the headline -for each joyport
one - with th possibility to simulate a permanently hold down
firebutton)

D)
Drive leds visible in frame at choice
in a downline of the Emu to be
permanetly watchable ?

E)
A Track display that displays the
used Track by choice in the downline ?

F)
sound emulition of the disk drive sound
by choice ?

G)
Support for wacom Graph table
A Support that makes it possible
to get a used Tablett working
as Mouse ?

H)
the newly F12 interruption option chooseable in menue
for those who want and those who not by choice
to get the F12 free ?

I)
Possibly some of the features of ST Emulator Gold
are possible to coppy respectively implement ?
Don't Know ?

J)
How would it be to introduce a full
real floppy Disk support added to steem
by using this system file

here :
fdrawcmd.sys
Introduction
fdrawcmd.sys is a floppy filter driver for Windows
2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7/8.
The driver exposes command-level access to the /PD765a floppy disk
controller, making it
possible to read/write many non-standard and copy-protected disk formats.
It's also free for use by both commercial and non-commercial applications.
System Requirements
Windows 2000 or later, either 32-bit or 64-bit (x64)

Non-USB floppy drive connected to motherboard floppy port
have a Look at
http://simonowen.com/fdrawcmd/
and
https://strecover.codeplex.com/

Hopefully some of them are possible to
be implemented and not
to hard to code :)

Many Thanks for Listening
to me (again)

Greetings to the
Whole Crew
great job

Dizzy
Everything will become well :)

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:49 am

Hi, sorry I hadn't seen this post at once.
Please try to express yourself with more clarity. I'm not even sure they are requests for Steem! From what I got, I'll try to respond so:

- F12 start/stop. I don't know, it's easy to offer the option, but enforcing F12 in all emulators for all systems is cool too.
- I like drive leds as they are, especially in my build. But it's true there's no difference A: / B:
- A track counter would be cool, maybe one day, but it means adding a status bar, messing with window size again. Could be handy for other messages as well (STF/STE...). The feature would be easier to put in Hatari, there's already a status bar. But I find it distracting.
- The floppy drive sound is already emulated in SainT. I find it irritating but accurate. My imitation would be laughable. It's more important that programs on the disk images work.
- The floppy drive support I would like to add is Kryoflux, but I don't know what's going on with it.
- About a beta, due to GPL3 restrictions, the best is to make a non-public list of testers. Send an email to:
another.steven.seagal@gmail.com
I still haven't got feedback on v.3.3, so I'm in no hurry to upload v3.4.

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:44 pm

It's here!

Yes kid, you got it. Steem SSE 3.4.0 is available here:

The site has been revamped, so you see where my ST time is spent. Frankly it's a fine 'download' site by itself now.
The debug build is available as well.
Copy the file 'HD6301V1ST.img' into your Steem folder, it's for the keyboard chip emulation.
If the competition manages to take it down, it should be available here as well:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse/

The star project of sourceforge! Of course, there's no bug, but if there are, no problem, we will release a v3.4.1 etc. as needed. Like I said in another thread, this is now officially a "branch" of Steem, and I'm in charge!

mOdmate
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby mOdmate » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 pm

Finally, the long awaited update of the most user-friendly ST-emulator! Gotta download and test it as soon as possible. Thank you, Mr. Seagal!

Scarlettkitten
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Scarlettkitten » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:17 pm

Nice one, thanks 8)
Music gear
Falcon 030 14MB, Cubase Audio, Soundpool FA8,FDI, MAudio 88 keystation, Roland S750, Yamaha A5000, Roland JV1080, Yamaha MG10, 1040STE, ZX Spectrum 128k.

https://soundcloud.com/softkitty123

Social Media

Return to “Development”