Great podcast featuring Galahad of Fairlight about the game cracking scene

Discuss Demos / Games / Applications written by Atari coders

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Great podcast featuring Galahad of Fairlight about the game cracking scene

Postby catmando » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:09 pm

Well worth a listen this, does talk a lot about the Amiga, but there are mentions of the ST too.

Quite interesting if you're curious how the cracking scene worked back in the day

https://soundcloud.com/the-retro-hour/the-retro-hour-episode-11-piracy-on-the-amiga-with-galahadfairlight
Last edited by catmando on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Great podcast featuring Galahad of Fairlight about the game cracking scene

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:19 am

I guess that it is/will be some narcisoid praising of people who will claim that they actually helped game sales and similar things.
Back to something useful for Atari people, now ...
There is way to stop global warming.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:12 am

Thanks vey much for the info.
I didn't know this website, there's a lot of very interesting broadcasts.
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:05 pm

Interesting :)
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:10 pm

No problem, :)
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

galahad
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby galahad » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:03 am

AtariZoll wrote:I guess that it is/will be some narcisoid praising of people who will claim that they actually helped game sales and similar things.
Back to something useful for Atari people, now ...

You assume too much and you're wrong.

Happy to clarify :D

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:18 am

The whole subject is pretty much questionable. My first problem is word "scene" - something illegal can be scene ?
I mean, I'm not thinking that it was entirely bad - that was just result of overpriced SW + fact that game distribution was very poor - so you were not able in many cases to purchase some SW, and then naturally got it from pirates, even if would pay for original.

But what was real motivation of people involved in that illegal distribution ? For those doing sales the money, of course. Cracks were done usually by others. Crackers self did it because was challenge, + it was chance to make some fame, adding diverse intros and show their coding skills. I'm not sure that all people using SW was happy with all those intros. Unfortunately, many crackers was so "proud" of self, that spoiled game with their signatures, messages - so we see them in title screens, in middle of game, etc. That always annoyed me, and is same as today's pushing adverts. Thank you very much, I saw your name at first screen, really have no dementia, so please, no need to repeat it all time :D
Then all that messages at start - greetings, f*ings, warnings to not steal crack and similar :D Certainly some codex was established in those circles.
So, major crews credited other one if it was source and like. But why they released it at all with own name on it ? That's very interesting question, and may show some not good things: they wanted to have just big number of releases ? Or wanted bigger sales ? If that podcast deals with such questions, I will gladly listen to it - although it would be much more practical in written form.

In those time was no Internet, so feedback was problematic. Today users can be much more active in all it. So, can submit error reports almost instantly. The question is: why those, still active in today Atari "scene" crackers do practically nothing in fixing their releases. As I see they just don't like to talk about it at all. We have plenty of sites holding a lot of images, complete crew releases. People who collecting it. Sometime can see diverse posts about problems with some cracks - but that's rare case. No, not because cracks were done so well - rather because it is not something for what you will hear "thanx" . I really don't remember seeing some old crack updated/fixed by it's "author" . Some will say, that no sources preserved, no Atari , etc. But that can't be real reason, because you have PC, emulators with debugging, your old crack at 20 sites - so all you need is little time - that could be even better reminder, refresher than some podcast :D
This is how I see things, my personal opinion and approach. The things are that we have now really great potential - Internet, but I don't see that it is well used. Thee is still lot of things what can do, to make all it better for users. and for the preservation - because that is what will be interesting 50 years from now.
There is way to stop global warming.

Social Media

Return to “Non Atari Platforms”