Discuss Demos / Games / Applications written by Atari coders

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Anyone with Amibay account?

Postby mikro » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:04 am

Hi guys,

bit offtopic but -- do you have Amibay account? Or even better, know someone 'high enough' to help? For some unknown reason to me I've been banned (I even don't know when!) and any attempt to contact admin@amibay.com has ended up with no response whatsoever. I even tried to create an alternate account on different email, as soon as I should get the confirmation email I got only "there was a problem, contact the admins blah blah".

I'm looking for someone who could sent a message to the admins, ask what's wrong with my person, is it because I ported the final version of Starstruck before it has reached Amiga audience? ;-)

rj1
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Anyone with Amibay account?

Postby rj1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:16 am

Same thing for me, can't register on that site.
I'm getting banned and no reply from admins.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:18 am

On one hand I'm relieved it's not just me but on the other hand it quite sucks. I see a lot of Atari deals there, I haven't done one single thing to offend anyone (I think I haven't even posted anything there!) so I'm really puzzled.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Same happened to me when i joined. The reason was that my ISP gave a different location for their logs instead of the location i used in the registration. That's because i registered using a tablet which picks the strongest signal location and it differs from time to time. They thought it was a some sort of fraud account. It took couple of mails to explain it all, but they understood it when i explained everything.

Here's what they answered, maybe you guys have the same problem?

Hi,

First of all, don't worry. We have some software tied into the forum that tries to check users' locations against what is declared in the profile at sign-up. If it can't work out what's going on due to a vague description or an IP trace mis-match, the account gets flagged for Admin attention and 'Banned' is the only setting available in VBulletin at that point.

In your case, you put Kymenlaakso (South Finland) as the region, but our IP trace came bask as Karsamaki (North Finland). Are you able to help us out with why this might be so?

Dave (Merlin)
AmiBay Administration
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:07 pm

You wouldn't happen to have Dave's email, would you? Because the standard one (admin@...) seems to be of little help here. :-( Also I'm wondering whether the location thing could be the cause, I may have been located in one city and registered for my birth/postal city but they are maybe 400 km away each other.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Dave is a member here - I've pinged a pm to him.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:08 pm

I registered on amibay, but didn't enter the "location" field (I thought, "who cares?"), then they sent an email for telling me my account was not authorised because I hadn't written the location. Then I couldn't enter again or reuse the same email which was banned. I could have tried again with an other email but I don't think I want to have anything to do with those idiots.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks, Dal, much appreciated.

It seems their registration process / rules is anything but reliable. I wonder whether they don't care or don't know but I'm inclined to believe the former, judging from the response rates on their support line...

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 pm

farvardin wrote:I registered on amibay, but didn't enter the "location" field (I thought, "who cares?"), then they sent an email for telling me my account was not authorised because I hadn't written the location. Then I couldn't enter again or reuse the same email which was banned. I could have tried again with an other email but I don't think I want to have anything to do with those idiots.

On the verge of another ST / Amiga war ...
Hold on I bring the pop corn, a bottle of fine wine ... and I power on my Archimedes.
:cheers:
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:45 am

Dal, any luck with reaching out to Dave?

Digga
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Digga » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:00 pm

Personally I would not bother with AmiBay
I have bought stuff from it in the past, but have seen users banned for even questioning the price of stuff.
Also they like you to pay for stuff with PayPal GIFTS = no protection if nothing arrives/faulty
I prefer Ebay, yes it has its drawbacks, but you know where you stand and you have a much better variety (and protection).
PS If AmiBay think its Clever to match your ISP address to your Registered address then they are clearly utterly clueless....if that *IS* a reason that some users were banned then that is enough reason to stay well clear of them.
Have a google of AmiBay complaints and you will see its not really worth the hassle.
Take my advice and google about, there are *MUCH* better forums about with normal people as admins.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:49 am

Well, they may have the strangest admins and policies but the fact is that some stuff is not always available on eBay while there is. But that's life... I can live with that, sure. :)

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:23 am

I've seen the prices can be quite high on Amibay... I found some cheaper opportunities on ebay.

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:29 pm

farvardin wrote:I registered on amibay, but didn't enter the "location" field (I thought, "who cares?")

It makes sense to me that a real location should be required- it's a buying/selling site, there's no point agreeing a price on a monitor if you're on opposite sides of the world. The sign up form should validate for that though, and banning based on IP is just silly. I've bought and sold a few things on Amibay. It's not bad but it's sort of halfway between a real community like this and a price maximising site like eBay, without the advantages of either. Also I hate looking at the Amiga chequered ball everywhere, but AdBlock takes care of that ;)

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:30 pm

It makes sense to me that a real location should be required /.../ The sign up form should validate for that though

yes, sure. I wasn't banned on IP but on my email address. I emailed them that I wanted to enter my location, but they didn't even write back. Morons. I've bought my C64C on ebay btw... ;)

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:43 pm

I brought my 060 CPU from amibay :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Social Media

Return to “Non Atari Platforms”