Discuss Demos / Games / Applications written by Atari coders

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Quake was converted to PS1 by Lobotomy, just never published

Postby lostdragon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:43 pm

http://www.gareth-jones.co.uk/2010/08/0 ... dreisbach/

So, proof at last Lobotomy DID port Quake to the Playstation, plus it ran better than Saturn version.

My guess is no publisher wanted it, because it was deemed 'too old hat' by time it was ready, focus on newer games, plus Quake 2 seen as next big thing?

Still at least we know what became of it.

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Quake was converted to PS1 by Lobotomy, just never publi

Postby MrMaddog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:56 am

I was just wondering why there was no Playstation version of Quake even though it was on other 5th generation systems. As for people saying it was "old" at the time, they must not have seen Doom 64. ;)

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks for the link. I have long been fascinated with the slavedriver engine & the Saturn versions of Powerslave and Duke Nukem 3D are personal favourites.
Member of the Atari Legend team

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:48 pm

bullis1 wrote:Thanks for the link. I have long been fascinated with the slavedriver engine & the Saturn versions of Powerslave and Duke Nukem 3D are personal favourites.

My humble pleasure.Both myself and Unseen64 had been emailing various Ex-Lobotomy coders, none of us sadly ever got a reply :-(

I had hoped the likes of Edge/Retrogamer/Gamestm etc might have dug up what happened to both PS1 and alleged Atari Jaguar versions of Quake, as they had direct access to John Carmac and John Romero, but much like when ever Core Design and/or Tomb Raider were covered and key people interviewed, the question of claimed lost versions never seemed to be asked, so i went a-searching.

Soon as i found blog, i shared link where i could, asked friends to do same on forums they visited etc and thanked the chap who'd preserved the interview.

Glad it's been of use to others.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Quake was converted to PS1 by Lobotomy, just never published

Postby alexh » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:19 pm

The link is now dead but I *think* it pointed to this interview from 2002

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9391

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:25 am

Yep, that's the one.

Appreciate you putting up a link to somewhere that's still showing the interview.

Mikefulton
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mikefulton » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:51 am

lostdragon wrote:http://www.gareth-jones.co.uk/2010/08/07/interview-ezra-dreisbach/

So, proof at last Lobotomy DID port Quake to the Playstation, plus it ran better than Saturn version.

My guess is no publisher wanted it, because it was deemed 'too old hat' by time it was ready, focus on newer games, plus Quake 2 seen as next big thing?

Still at least we know what became of it.

Given some of the other titles that we released for PSX, it's hard to imagine Quake being deemed "too old hat" at any point in time during which the Saturn version would have even been part of the conversation. It's been a long time, and perhaps I've just forgotten, but I don't remember seeing a PSX version of Quake before I left SCEA in mid 1998, so it probably came after that.

Social Media

Return to “Non Atari Platforms”