any one use both Atari and Amiga

Discuss Demos / Games / Applications written by Atari coders

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

any one use both Atari and Amiga

Postby fragedthewife » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:52 pm

I have sourced an Amiga and I honesty know very little about them. Back in the day most people I new had an Atari as the Amiga
was just so expensive when launched.

Absolutely love my Atari and I have it working just the way I like it.

So this Amiga I have got I need to find more information about them, what would be the most popular forum to recommend for some advice.

Thank you.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: any one use both Atari and Amiga

Postby Frank B » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:24 pm

EAB http://eab.abime.net/search.php?searchid=4458086 is the best Amiga forum.
I own and like both Atari and Amiga computers. Where are you based?

Hazzardus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Hazzardus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Frank B wrote:EAB http://eab.abime.net/search.php?searchid=4458086 is the best Amiga forum.
I own and like both Atari and Amiga computers. Where are you based?

Yeah, EAB is the best.

http://www.amigaforum.de/ is good too if you understand German, and Lemon Amiga is good if you want to get into WHDLoad / Gaming:
http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/

http://www.amiga.org/forums/ is another one, but they have never been very helpful to me.

Enjoy your Amiga!

Edit: Also which Amiga did you get? I used to tinker on my friends original A500, then I had friends that had the A600, and it was like the STFM/STE all over again. I never bought an Amiga til 2001 myself, and the first Amiga I got was a CDTV with the keyboard, mouse, controller and disk drive addon on eBay for £30 with Xenon 2 CDTV version. (Remember when eBay used to be cheap for old computers 8) ) Didn't get my second Amiga (1200) til 2006, then didn't upgrade it with CF til about 3-4 years ago.

They are great machines for what they cost at the time, and in a lot of ways they were far better than ST's, (in other ways they were worse though).

I love both of them, but I will admit that I used to be an ST fanboy, but also used to be jealous of both the support the Amiga got, and also it's stock capabilities. The STE was a joke as far as taking advantage of the extra hardware for most software, because everyone owned an STFM, so there was next to nothing for the STE. And it broke stuff that worked fine on the STFM, same as the A600 vs the A500.

fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby fragedthewife » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:23 pm

I'm Nr Edinburgh :)

I seen an A600 local and decided to buy it up, I read as much as it can take a direct CF card inside which will run all the games and demos i need.
also to upgrade the memory is just a plug in card.

Other than this I know very little.

So Quite looking forward to learning about the Amiga.
I'm going to pop onto e-bay and buy a CF adapter and 4GB card.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:33 pm

I have an Amiga 500.
As others have said, in some ways better than an ST with a few more colours on screen, better sound in some games, smoother scrolling sometimes.
It's easier to pull apart to work on too.

But in other ways, not as good. I don't like Workbench to look at, I find it less stable (inevitable due to multi tasking and no memory protection in hardware) and the ST's high res mode is far nicer for using the machine for real work. ST boots to desktop faster too. I also don't like having a massive external power brick and maybe it's the lack of the PSU being in the machine, but it feels lightweight and flimsy. Certainly the casing feels more brittle to me.

But if the ST didn't exist back in the day, or if I'd chosen the Amiga (I chose the ST over it) I'd have been really happy with it I'm sure.

People like to have a definitive answer to "which is better" but that's completely impossible for computers just as with any other product in the world, it depends what you intend to do with it...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

fragedthewife
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby fragedthewife » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:50 pm

I have now placed an order for a CF adapter and combined card which is fully loaded ready to go.
I also ordered those mouse adapters which fit both ST and Amiga using a PS2 type mouse.
Been told I need more memory for the CF card to run the Work bench and WHD load ?

Not sure how my ST feels being sat next to an A600 , if size matters then I'm sure it will be okay :)

LordJenkins
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LordJenkins » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:20 pm

I remember that when I was a child, we had both Atari and Amiga... But it felt like, you know, mixing Pepsi with Coke. :P So we got rid of Atari (it was older) and Amiga became my first gaming love.

I only had Amiga 500 Plus - but I don't own it anymore. So... If you would have to recommend a similar experience - should I buy an old Amiga 500 Plus or something different, but better?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hazzardus
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Hazzardus » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm

LordJenkins wrote:I remember that when I was a child, we had both Atari and Amiga... But it felt like, you know, mixing Pepsi with Coke. :P So we got rid of Atari (it was older) and Amiga became my first gaming love.

I only had Amiga 500 Plus - but I don't own it anymore. So... If you would have to recommend a similar experience - should I buy an old Amiga 500 Plus or something different, but better?

Get an 1200.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Get a TF accelerator board ;-)
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

grobda
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby grobda » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm

LordJenkins wrote:I remember that when I was a child, we had both Atari and Amiga... But it felt like, you know, mixing Pepsi with Coke. :P So we got rid of Atari (it was older) and Amiga became my first gaming love.

for cheap fun with simple single/double disk games an a500 with a gotek drive and a 1/2 meg memory upgrade gives the most bang-per-buck. I wouldn't bother with an a500+ as kickstart 2 has problems with a lot of games.

for more complex multi-disk games an a600 or a1200 with extra memory (4mb+) and installing games using whdload is more convenient, but also significantly more expensive. an a600 with a 4mb ram upgrade is the cheapest option that will run most stuff ok on whd load.

or just get winuae.
1040STF+Gotek///4160STFM+Gotek+MonSTer///4160STE+CosmosEX

Social Media

Return to “Non Atari Platforms”