All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

CF setup

Postby acsi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:28 am

OK so my CF card has died and I've lost everything. :evil:

So how do I partition the new CF card and what do I need?

Is it a 500MB Fat16 partition and the balance a Ext2 partition for MINT?

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: CF setup

Postby vido » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:53 am

Here you have URL to official FreeMiNT setup for the Firebee and detailed instructions: http://joska.duckdns.org/firebee-mint/
Joska did a great job!
You partition CF card regarding to your needs. Just take care you have large enough your boot partition which is FAT16. It also shoul not be to large. I think 2GB is the limit. The other partitions do as you wish. If you would like to install full MiNT distribution as is EasyMiNT then you will need also ext2 partition.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:25 am

Excellent thanks. That's exactly the tools etc I was after.

Joska does do fantastic work. :)

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:40 am

acsi wrote:OK so my CF card has died and I've lost everything. :evil:

So how do I partition the new CF card and what do I need?

Is it a 500MB Fat16 partition and the balance a Ext2 partition for MINT?

Are you sure it isn't only the FAT that got wiped? I had this happen to me a couple of times. Now, if you don't have a backup of the FAT it might be hard to recreate it...
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:03 am

The card is toast as far as I can tell. Gparted wont access it at all.

The replacement card was working but has failed after half an hour. I need to check it tomorrow but I think my firebee may be eating cf cards or I’m just having bad luck.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:48 pm

OK so the CF looks fine in Gparted (on a Ubuntu machine).

Put back in the Firebee and it got half way through booting then failed. Now it only shows "Magnetic Disk error"

I was thinking maybe it was the power supply so swaped that for a 13.8v 2.5A one. No change.

I have a few 4GB CF cards I can try but am wondering if it's actually the firebee itself at fault?

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:48 am

I recomend you to try some other CF cards. I think some can be problematic used by the FireBee.
Last edited by vido on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:59 am

The other issue I'm having is that I get no sound from the Firebee internal speaker or via the audio out?

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Did you try to set Master and PCM line in GSXB Mixer to the full?

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:00 am

[smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_11.gif]

OK Now I'm just a bit annoyed.
It will only just boot then start failing. First the file system fails (SD and CF) then the mouse starts moving slowly for about 3 seconds and stops. After which everything halts (Except for the display which still shows fine).

Emails to Mathias fail to send adding to further frustration. I believe he was unwell recently so I hope he did recover?

Anyone have any ideas on how to reach him as this is a series 2 board it should be under warranty. Or does someone want to buy a Atari styled Blue Brick? :shrug:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:24 am

You can try using the IDE with an IDE-CF adapter. The IDE on my FB works, I was using it for sometime.
Your A: can have up to 2 GB. copy some files over there and only use A: drive. See if it works with out the CF.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:29 am

With the CF card hooked up via the IDE port I get the same sort of problems. CF boots and then fails (Tried with 3 different CF cards)

After a bit it fails to correctly pick up the CF card and just displays random characters.

It will boot to TOS without the CF and the SD card does appear to work fine from there.

Seeing as I can access the CF card I was wondering if I should try re flashing the Firebee?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:55 am

You can risk an IDE HDD from your falcon and see if that works.
( your falcon HDD may not boot automatically, and you need to disable the boot driver)
If it works fine, then the CF is the culprit.
If it trash your HDD, then may be a reflash of the FB.

I would make a spare HDD to test it.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:51 pm

acsi wrote:OK Now I'm just a bit annoyed.
It will only just boot then start failing. First the file system fails (SD and CF) then the mouse starts moving slowly for about 3 seconds and stops. After which everything halts (Except for the display which still shows fine).

Emails to Mathias fail to send adding to further frustration. I believe he was unwell recently so I hope he did recover?

Anyone have any ideas on how to reach him as this is a series 2 board it should be under warranty. Or does someone want to buy a Atari styled Blue Brick? :shrug:

I just got message from Mathias, that he has email problems for about 3 weeks now and he can not read mails.
And yes your FireBee has 2 year warranty. Instead of Mathias I believe you can conntact Fredi (Medusa Computer Systems) directly regarding that.

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 pm

I just own my Firebee for a half year. After that long time I thought it would be good to prepare the cf card for installing easymint. In fact that wasn't as esay as I thought. Partitioning with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.11.6 just failed. After partitioning with OS X the Firebee wasn't able to boot anymore from the cf. It even couldn't access the volumes on the card anymore. The same with using a Ubuntu Linux and GParted. So I gave Windows a last try by using the Mini Tool Partition Wizard. This tool can do magical things! After partitioning the cf with the Mini Tool Partition Wizard the Firebee booted again and now I'm installing easymint on it.

Does anybody has a guess why partitioning with OS X and Ubuntu failed and why it worked with the Mini Tool Partition Wizard? Very strange.
520 ST(M) (TOS 1.02), Falcon030 (16 MHz, 16 MB RAM, CF-Card, MiNT & MyAES), Milan040 (25 MHz, 48 MB RAM, EasyMiNT 1.90), Firebee, PowerMac G5 Late 2005 (2 x 2,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.5), iMac 4K Late 2015 (intel Core i7 4 x 3,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.11.6), IBM XT SFD (640 KB RAM, DR DOS 6.0), Compaq LTE 5300 (Pentium/133 MHz, DR-DOS 7.03), AT-PC (Cyrix 6x86L/200 MHz, Windows 98 SE/MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11)

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:47 pm

OK Some progress (I think)

I managed to track down a 4MB IDE drive which seems to format and work. (Most of my old gear runs on CF or SD cards)

So using Windows to partition it as 4x FAT partitions it does boot and reads fine.
It can copy from the IDE to SD (Drive C to A) but will not write. If I try to copy to it, from partition to partition or write to it in anyway it locks (although the mouse moves).

Next step is to try partitioning it under Ubuntu and see if its the windows FAT format that it does not like.

Actually just an interesting thing whilst typing this I tried changing the boot partition to a NON Mint one (No Auto folder) and copy from the SD to a partition and it works fine? ... edit ... well for a bit anyway. Copied the CAB folder from A drive to D fine but locked half way through copying from D to E (both on the same hard drive)

Also as a side note after re flashing I have sound and the Fuji logo is back when booting

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:56 pm

A 4MB HDD 8O ... I never seen any HDD that small before, smallest for me was 8GB fireball.

I think you already know, partition C: is MSDOS (in Falcon was GEMDOS) and I always make that 1022 MB (less than 1GB).
This always works for me on both my FB & Falcon and CF as well as HDD.

acsi wrote:Also as a side note after re flashing I have sound and the Fuji logo is back when booting

Sounds like your reflash fixed some stuff. So may be it really needed a re-flash.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 pm

Sorry GB :oops:

It's a no go on the hard drive. Fails when trying to edit the boot sequence in SBOOT during the boot process.
Either this drive is not liked or something in the flash isn't right still.

I've followed the instructions here http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=32159&p=325834&hilit=bad+flash#p325737 with the files from here http://firebee.org/fb-bin/support?lng=EN. Ill try it again to see if anything changes but are these the latest ones available?

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:29 am

OK so my fingers are crossed at the moment as I seem to have it working with the 16GB CF card. 8O

Hopefully fixed but I cannot remember exactly which files I flashed to get it to this stage. :shrug:

Copying files to the CF seems fine for the moment so hopefully it will stay that way.

Nope that was short lived darn it :?

Really frustrated now.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:55 am

To me it seems that you flashed some BETA versions of the ROM software (FireTOS, EmuTOS, BaS, BaS_gcc, FPGA) from earlyer this year that are not public, and mixed things up. We should start reflashing all components in your ROM with well working software and known versions. Are you the one who contacted us this weekend by mail?
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:58 am

Hi Mathias,

Yes I was. I gather you mean the ones from the firebee.org website as noted above?

Thanks

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Not necessarily. As you have CF-Card problems, I would give you some components for flashing which are newer and have improved IDE implementations, and that work well at least at my FireBee. We also could use this opportunity to drive the official release of the new software further, and if there are still problems at your board, ask Medusa for fixes.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:03 pm

That would be great Mathias.

acsi
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby acsi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:56 am

Ok so it looks hopeful that my firebee is back up and running correctly.

I’ve left it on overnight and will test again in the morning but everything so far looks good.

Thanks Mathias and Vido for your assistance with it.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:08 am

acsi wrote:The card is toast as far as I can tell. Gparted wont access it at all.

The replacement card was working but has failed after half an hour. I need to check it tomorrow but I think my firebee may be eating cf cards or I’m just having bad luck.

There is a program on the PC that works for me called MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”