Need help with FireBee

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Thorvald
Retro freak
Retro freak

Need help with FireBee

Postby Thorvald » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:26 am

I tried flashing the latest BaS GCC for the first time on my FireBee, now on bootup its not detecting the compact flash card??

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Need help with FireBee

Postby mfro » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:16 am

Thorvald wrote:I tried flashing the latest BaS GCC for the first time on my FireBee, now on bootup its not detecting the compact flash card??

You should first connect a terminal (115kBd) to the serial port. BaS_gcc spits out lots of diagnostic messages which should give you a hint what's going wrong.

Are you trying to boot FireTOS or EmuTOS? What if you flip dip switch #5 (boot EmuTOS)?

Thorvald
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Thorvald » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:38 am

trying to boot FireTOS. EmuTOS boots up with switch #5. Don't know how to do the terminal :(

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:35 am

Thorvald wrote:trying to boot FireTOS. EmuTOS boots up with switch #5. Don't know how to do the terminal :(

You'll need a serial cable connected to the serial port (the one closer to the USB connectors). Then connect the other end to a PC (or whatever you have) and startup a serial terminal program (like putty or teraterm or minicom if you happen to have a Linux machine).

I would however assume while EmuTOS is booting fine (does it detect your drive?) it's just a FireTOS config variable that's screwed up (FireTOS can be set up to boot from the 2nd IDE port, if you do that and there is nothing connected, it will not boot from disk at all).

Did you touch DIP switch #2? This is the one that controls if CompactFlash or IDE is tried as boot drive (should be mentioned in the leaflet you got with your FireBee).
Try flipping it and see if you can boot.

Thorvald
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Thorvald » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:08 am

EmuTOS did detect the drive. I think youpre right for the FireTOS config. Tried switch #2 doesn't appear to change anything. will have to mess around some more...

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:23 pm

If I remember correctly this happened to me when flashing too. Somewhere in the Control Panel I believe the boot drive gets changed to IDE. Just put it back to the normal setting (not IDE) reboot and you should be good to go. If it is not in the Control Panel then somewhere there is a program to call up a screen of system settings and the boot drive selection is. I am not near my FireBee to fire it up to look where at the moment.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”