All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

NVDI File Print

Postby Gamer » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:22 pm

Hello again,

I am fooling with Probe House's Remote Print which is a great program. I can only get the raw data print to work right now. I can print out RAW data files using NVDI have RP print them out to my wife's network HP-8600 laserjet printer. I can even do pictures when using Papyrus X. It works fine in black and white. The problem comes when I try to do color. The target file does not get populated (remains at 0 bytes) and the Firebee usually hangs.
Anyone have any ideas? It seems to me that I am running out of memory, but with 512MB of memory, I do not see how. Suggestions?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: NVDI File Print

Postby wongck » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:37 am

Take a look at this post if it makes sense viewtopic.php?t=25684&start=25#p246675

From what I gather NVDI does PCL3+, PCL3c or PCL3 GUI.
But modern printers does PCL5 and can't handle PCL3+ color, only the B&W version of it which is downward compatible.

You may not get it to print color even if it does generate a file.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:17 pm

I don't thing that it's a printer memory issue, a full page in 300 DPI is around 25 MB
it is more likely, as suggested by Wongck, a PCL standard issue.
As I am curious, I have googled the specs of your printer : It seems that it's an inkjet and not a Laser printer, as the reference for HP 8600 points to an Officejet model, isn't it?
If it's the case it talks PCL3 enhanced. You should try different Deskjet or PaintJet drivers from NVDI, starting first with DJ550C and then trying some more recent printers (a search of each printer spec can help you in this task), always test first in low color mode and low DPI, then increase.
I don't guaranty that it works, as the different variants of PCL tend to screw things up, but it worths trying.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

Gamer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Gamer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:39 am

Faucon2001 wrote:I don't thing that it's a printer memory issue, a full page in 300 DPI is around 25 MB
it is more likely, as suggested by Wongck, a PCL standard issue.
As I am curious, I have googled the specs of your printer : It seems that it's an inkjet and not a Laser printer, as the reference for HP 8600 points to an Officejet model, isn't it?
If it's the case it talks PCL3 enhanced. You should try different Deskjet or PaintJet drivers from NVDI, starting first with DJ550C and then trying some more recent printers (a search of each printer spec can help you in this task), always test first in low color mode and low DPI, then increase.
I don't guaranty that it works, as the different variants of PCL tend to screw things up, but it worths trying.

Yes, you are correct. The 8600 Officejet is an inkkjet printer, not a Laserjet. My mistake. I will take your suggestion and try other Deskjet printers from NVDI. The ones I have tried are the Epson Photo 700 and the HP 890c. Both are inkjet prints and worked well for me. I used them both on my Hades (God rest it's soul) and now I use the 890c with my Falcon setup. Thanks much for the reply.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”