Firebee battery, can be revived? How long do they last?

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Firebee battery, can be revived? How long do they last?

Postby AtariSociety » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:29 am

So the used Bee I just received has the dual batteries in it. It was on previous owners desk a while, un-powered, stored away. They seem dead here. Unplugging the Firebee AC Adapter and the Bee does not have power so they seem dead. I would guess these are 2 years old now. Should they last longer than 2 years?

Do these charge by the Bee being on a long time and in use and get trickled charged?

Or just leaving ac plugged into it but Bee not on, does it still trickle charge?

Not sure how it all works so wanna make sure. Maybe I need to leave the Bee on a few hours and see what happens.

By the way, what else other than running the Firebee without AC Adapter, do these batteries do? Allow something on the board to retain some settings? Do I really need a replacement?

BTW, seems Medusa or whomever sets these Bees up use quite a bit of Hot Glue. My batteries are covered with it holding it in place. I guess I have to try and xacto knife the hot glue just right to get this old battery out.

Any alternative battery I can get in USA for it?

Thanks

TJ

peterlane
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Firebee battery, can be revived? How long do they last?

Postby peterlane » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:51 am

The battery in my Firebee seems to be dead as well. I've had mine for several years now - can it be 5? I only miss the battery for the clock, which has to be reset after each time I unplug the machine.
Peter Lane
Firebee | STE (4Mb, TOS 2.06)
http://peterlane.info/firebee.html

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:30 am

The battery keeps the NV-RAM settings and runs the clock. I'm on my second dead battery on my Firebee now. I really haven't looked into why they die, maybe it's a problem with the charging circuit.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm still on the first battery since 2012. It doesn't have enough capacity to power the Firebee for more than about 10 to 15 minutes, but I think it actually never had.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:20 am

I am on my 2nd battery.

These are standard industrial cells, called "18650" with 3,7 Volts. It has nothing to do with US or not, you get them everywhere ;)
My 2nd one is a NCR18650B, which has nearly double of the original power ; 3400mAh, I can use my Bee for more than 50 minutes under full load with it.

In my opinion, the cheap blue batteries are the problem, as my 2nd one is now working well.

And no, Medusa does not use any hot glue for anything regarding the battery! Even all Bees that were sold with 2 batteries are soldered verry well.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:56 am

Mathias wrote:I am on my 2nd battery.

These are standard industrial cells, called "18650" with 3,7 Volts. It has nothing to do with US or not, you get them everywhere ;)
My 2nd one is a NCR18650B, which has nearly double of the original power ; 3400mAh, I can use my Bee for more than 50 minutes under full load with it.

In my opinion, the cheap blue batteries are the problem, as my 2nd one is now working well.

And no, Medusa does not use any hot glue for anything regarding the battery! Even all Bees that were sold with 2 batteries are soldered verry well.

Thanks for the info about the batteries.

btw, would you like a picture of how mine is.... and the gentleman I purchased it from is a friend and he never even opened the case, so the way it came is the way it came to him from the official channel, say 2 years ago. Lots of hot glue.

TJ

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:21 am

When buying these batteries from other locations, does one have to solder connectors on them or something? I noticed the picture at Firebee.org as little connectors on the ends. I have to take a closer look at mine but will have to wait until next time I need to open her up. If soldering is involved, any reason or way to make it just plug in for next time around. Maybe some kind of small housing that allows easy pull and push in replacement. TJ

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”