Back into Firebee

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Back into Firebee

Postby AtariSociety » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:56 am

So I owned one, sold it..... then a buddy here in USA had one he did not use, and I made him an offer he could not refuse.

So I am a Firebee owner again.

Actually have been driven lately to clean up and get my Atari room all organized and get back into using them.

So have a Firebee again, yeah!

Question... what chances you think I can use an Apple ADB keyboard on the Firebee by using an iMate ADB to USB adapter?

I own a nice Apple Adjustable Keyboard, ADB of course, and would be sweet to use this nice keyboard on a Firebee. Can pick up a iMate for $30 or less. Wondering if it will work.

May take the gamble and try.

So I will get mine all built back to how I liked my last one. Even own Papyrus X now so not sure if that works well on Firebee or not. Will have to see.

TJ

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Back into Firebee

Postby Mathias » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:42 pm

AtariSociety wrote:So have a Firebee again, yeah!
Welcome Back! ;)

AtariSociety wrote:Question... what chances you think I can use an Apple ADB keyboard on the Firebee by using an iMate ADB to USB adapter?
I own a nice Apple Adjustable Keyboard, ADB of course, and would be sweet to use this nice keyboard on a Firebee. Can pick up a iMate for $30 or less. Wondering if it will work.
Interresting idea! These are very good keyboards, I use one every day. It depends on the question if the iMate creates a clean USB HID out of the ADB bus following the standards (without doing some USB-Hub tricks)?

AtariSociety wrote:Even own Papyrus X now so not sure if that works well on Firebee or not. Will have to see.
Papyrus X works very well.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:03 pm

I have an iMate and ADB Keyboard. I would just need to find them to try it out.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:13 pm

fmh wrote:I have an iMate and ADB Keyboard. I would just need to find them to try it out.

If you can, cool.

I have ordered one on eBay and should have in a week. Will try myself then too unless you beat me too it.

;-)

TJ

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Mathias wrote:
AtariSociety wrote:So have a Firebee again, yeah!
Welcome Back! ;)

AtariSociety wrote:Question... what chances you think I can use an Apple ADB keyboard on the Firebee by using an iMate ADB to USB adapter?
Interresting idea! These are very good keyboards, I use one every day. It depends on the question if the iMate creates a clean USB HID out of the ADB bus following the standards (without doing some USB-Hub tricks)?

AtariSociety wrote:Even own Papyrus X now so not sure if that works well on Firebee or not. Will have to see.
Papyrus X works very well.

Good to know Papyrus works. Never owned or used it before. I left Atari mid 90s and don't even remember it back then but said I would get it one day if I get back into Atari. Will be interesting to see how it works. And if I can get it to work. Lots to re-learn about Atari.

TJ

oehansen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oehansen » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Welcome back to the world of Atari ...

Question on the subject, is there a firebee "native" version of Papyrus X ?

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:23 am

No, no Firebee native version of Papyrus X, it's pure 68K. But it works with Mint in Firetos.
The app is no longer developed and the last version is 10.20A from 25/11/2003.
You should be able to buy it there : http://www.1632systems.co.uk/Templates/PapyrusX.htm I bought mine there 2 years ago.
The applications has several bugs and may crash, but it has nothing to do with the Firebee, it's the same on a Falcon or on Aranym under Mint.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:33 am

oehansen wrote:Welcome back to the world of Atari ...

Question on the subject, is there a firebee "native" version of Papyrus X ?

Thanks.... I actually started coming back (collecting Atari) around 2010 if memory serves. Collecting but not really using much.

I now have some gumption to start using all my 8 and 16 bit Atari again. So excited to start playing.

TJ

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:11 pm

Faucon2001 wrote:No, no Firebee native version of Papyrus X, it's pure 68K. But it works with Mint in Firetos.
You should be able to buy it there : http://www.1632systems.co.uk/Templates/PapyrusX.htm I bought mine there 2 years ago.
The applications has several bugs and may crash, but it has nothing to do with the Firebee, it's the same on a Falcon or on Aranym under Mint.

I don't think it is. On my FireBee Papyrus X crashes every single time I create a table.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:54 pm

No go on the ADB to iMate USB Adapter. ;-(

TJ

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:57 pm

jfl wrote:On my FireBee Papyrus X crashes every single time I create a table.

Perhaps. I just tested the Word processor ant this one of Papyrus X is working perfectly.

AtariSociety wrote:No go on the ADB to iMate USB Adapter.

Thats sad! But does the iMate work at PCs at all?
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Mathias wrote:
jfl wrote:On my FireBee Papyrus X crashes every single time I create a table.

Perhaps. I just tested the Word processor ant this one of Papyrus X is working perfectly.

AtariSociety wrote:No go on the ADB to iMate USB Adapter.

Thats sad! But does the iMate work at PCs at all?

Yes connected to my Ubuntu PC box and it worked.

No software was needed.

I boot to main screen where I select what TOS to use and the arrow keys or return no work. Nothing seems to register.

TJ

ldv-01
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ldv-01 » Fri May 05, 2017 3:04 pm

Yes. On the FireBee, Papyrus X crashes when you create a new table (same for Papyrus 7 and Papyrus8) but it is possible to load documents containing tables. In Papyrus Gold 5.15 (Hisoft) tables work fine, but It crashes while typing on a page and at loading documents. Finally Papyrus 5.55A handles tables / loads documents correctly. BTW, this Papyrus behavior is consistent among FireTOS, XaAES and MyAES (all latest builds)..

Ldv

jfl wrote:
Faucon2001 wrote:No, no Firebee native version of Papyrus X, it's pure 68K. But it works with Mint in Firetos.

I don't think it is. On my FireBee Papyrus X crashes every single time I create a table.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”