[BUG] VsetMode Falcon Video mode not working on Firebee

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

[BUG] VsetMode Falcon Video mode not working on Firebee

Postby Orion_ » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 am

I contacted Didier M. about this bug in FireTOS but I still didn't had an answer, so, I'm posting this here.

Here is a small test of the basic falcon video mode function: VsetMode (very small source included)
vmodetest.zip

(Press 'e' + Enter to exit)

It sets the 320x240x8bits mode and display a picture on screen.
You can test on a real falcon and it works: vmode030.prg/bgvdipal.pi9 files (plannar image)
The exact same program compiled for Firebee, doesn't work: vmode_cf.prg/bgvdipal.raw files (chunky image)
On FireTOS: the screen mode set seems to be 640x480x16bits
On EmuTOS 0.9.5: my DVI monitor won't display anything, the frequency seems too low for my monitor, and on VGA it seems that it's planar mode but still not 320x240x8 (something like 320x480x8 ??)

My Test Configuration:
BaS-20120613
Firetos 2014-03-16
FPGA (2012 version and recent 11/2015 version)

I'm currently porting a game to the Firebee, and if the 320x240x8 mode would work (in chunky mode) you could play at a full 60fps !
For now, I need to zoom the whole screen to 640x480x16bits (the minimum resolution that I can set on Firebee for now) and this is slowing down at 20fps, which is a shame for an action game and what is advertised as such a powerful computer :/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Galvez
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: [BUG] VsetMode Falcon Video mode not working on Firebee

Postby Galvez » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:53 am

The VIdel implementation in the FPGA isn't complete and has some bugs. Under EmuTOS what you see probably isn't a bug in VSetMode but in the Videl. And this is going to frustrate you more, Vincent already report about those bugs in March 2012 in the developer forum.

About the different behavior between EmuTOS and FireTOS, I think it's because FireTOS doesn't set resolutions through the Videl implementation (registers) but it does through FireBee own video implementation (registers).

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:44 am

since the FPGA development have recently resumed (for parallel port), and since a new batch of Firebee are going to be produced, I hope this will motivate Medusa to correct this bug, because for now the "Falcon compatible" advertisement on the Firebee.org website is false.
Where is the Firebee developper forum ? Maybe I can report this bug there.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:49 pm

Orion_ wrote:since the FPGA development have recently resumed (for parallel port), and since a new batch of Firebee are going to be produced, I hope this will motivate Medusa to correct this bug, because for now the "Falcon compatible" advertisement on the Firebee.org website is false.

Orion, with all due respect for your time spent adapting your games for the FireBee you'll only keep getting more frustrated if you don't understand a fundamental aspect of this machine: it's an open hardware and open source project. Medusa mostly developed the physical hardware side of it; they can't correct the bug in question. If they could they would have done so a long time ago. Someone else with has to step up and do it.

That's the beauty and the danger of it. If volunteers bring their knowledge and time this may end up being a fantastic project with a great potential. If they don't, it will be a missed opportunity and a semi-failure.

Well, that's my view anyway :wink:
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 pm

I thought that the VHDL code was partly made by Fredi from Medusa. :shrug:

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:07 pm

Orion_ wrote:I thought that the VHDL code was partly made by Fredi from Medusa. :shrug:

I guess 'partly' is the operative word here. But others should be able to explain better who in the team is responsible for what.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:12 pm

I sent a request to get into the Firebee mailing list, no answer since a week :/

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Where have you sent this request? Usually you can subscribe without any human involved to the mailinglist.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:17 am

Mathias wrote:Where have you sent this request? Usually you can subscribe without any human involved to the mailinglist.

on this page: https://lists.lnxnt.org/mailman/listinfo/atari-coldfire
it's written " Subscribe to Atari-coldfire by filling out the following form. "
I subscribed, and I'm waiting this to be approved..
Because when I try to login here https://lists.lnxnt.org/mailman/private/atari-coldfire/
I get "Authorization failed."

rudis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rudis » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:41 am

i tried subscribing on the list and it works. watch your spam folder in email.

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:37 am

It worked with my @gmail.com account (although it ended up in the spam folder)
but my 2 @free.fr address didn't work (no mail at all, even in the spam folder)

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:30 pm

It seems we are facing a mail problem from our side. The last weeks some users got no mail from the preordering form at firebee.org, you got no activation from the mailinglist, and most annoying, Medusa Computer Systems got no mails from me or acpinfo, ... sorry for that. I have no clue recently but will try to get technicians to investigate. It seems some serers don´t take mails from ours, but without error message or return, ...
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”