Elansar / Philia update for Firebee

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Elansar / Philia update for Firebee

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:54 am

Tried it on my FireBee setup, GEM mode. Nice effort, though I need to change the screenmode to TC16. I use TC32, better colors and the display is nearly slower as TC16. Speed is same as the arcade mode, with a little difference: mouse has to be pressed longer.

Some GEM messages are not handled for multitasking mode. I think users won't bother, since under XaAES, the screen can be cleaned and entirely redrawn with Ctrl+Alt+ClrHome.
If you have time to verify, these message are:
- WM_NEWTOP, WM_UNTOPPED, WM_ONTOP: closing windows of other applications may focus on your window.
- WM_ICONIFY, WM_UNICONIFY: some AES can iconify your window evenif you have not set the widget in your window. If iconified state, normal display must be paused.
- WM_SHADED, WM_UNSHADED: MagiC and XaAES (and MyAES?) can reduce the window to its title-bar. If shaded state, normal display must be paused. If not, then you can have bad redraw (see snapshot). User can easily clean this, but the mouse cursor has momentaly disappeared.
IMG_0878.jpg

Seems the rectangle list may be not used, you can see when your window is not topped and other window is above.

Handling these events is easy and not long to code.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:37 am

Rajah Lone wrote:User can easily clean this, but the mouse cursor has momentaly disappeared.

Quick note: you can recover the mouse with Ctrl+Alt+M
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:40 am

Rajah Lone wrote:Some GEM messages are not handled for multitasking mode. I think users won't bother, since under XaAES, the screen can be cleaned and entirely redrawn with Ctrl+Alt+ClrHome.
If you have time to verify, these message are:
- WM_NEWTOP, WM_UNTOPPED, WM_ONTOP: closing windows of other applications may focus on your window.
- WM_ICONIFY, WM_UNICONIFY: some AES can iconify your window evenif you have not set the widget in your window. If iconified state, normal display must be paused.

I'm handling these messages:
Display update and gameplay is activated on these messages: WM_TOPPED, WM_ONTOP, WM_UNICONIFY
Display and gameplay are desactivated on these messages: WM_ICONIFY, WM_ALLICONIFY, WM_BOTTOMED, WM_UNTOPPED
Also, to avoid the GEM cursor to interfere with the game display, if the mouse is going inside the window, the GEM cursor is hidden, if the mouse is going outside of the window the GEM cursor is shown and the gameplay/display update stops.
I tried under MyAES with other windows on top of the game, and I didn't have any of the display problem you had, Multitasking GEM is really not that easy to process, you almost have to do all the window work yourself :/

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:53 am

Orion_ wrote:... Multitasking GEM is really not that easy to process, you almost have to do all the window work yourself :/

something about Mike Fulton write extensively: http://www.fultonsoft.com/tag/atari-st/
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:05 pm

@JFL : thanks for the reminder. I always forget this feature.

@Orion_ : GEM is already for multitasking, due to the presence of ACCessories under monoTOS. If correctly using the AES, a GEM application is supposed to run in multitasking mode without modification.

- The gameplay can be paused but the display should NOT be paused if your window if not on the top. I guess you have the final display is located in an offscreen raster buffer. Display must use the rectangles list (WM_REDRAW message, evenif on the top, wind_get() with WF_FIRSTXYWH opcode, then with WF_NEXTXYWH, using intesections with your internal working area).
- My snapshot is related to the un-handling of WM_SHADED/WM_UNSHADED events, when shaded, the height of the window working area becomes 0px. Display must be paused. These are MagiC and XaAES features, I do not remember if MyAES has it (test by double-click on the title bar, or a widget presence?).

You are close to GEM perfection. I think it's worth the effort: there are native versions on different OS, some users may like to run it under full Aranym environment (ie TC screenmode + MiNT). As for MyAES, it's still in development. I would say the reference/standard AES is XaAES (thus tests are strongly advised with it).

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:40 am

Orion_ wrote:
Mathias wrote:(no Paypal or Bitcoin here)?

You have a "pay with card" option (I think it use stripe).
Paypal is available in Austria and I think you can pay without a paypal account.
I wanted to buy all new games right now, but indeed it is only a "Credit Card" option. So PP, Creditcard or Bitcoin excludes me completely :-(

I am suggesting a service like Kagi who offer additionally Wire Transfers and especially Offline Payments (Accepted via the postal system), Checks & Purchase Orders, Cash, Postal Money Orders plus CD-Backupservice and more.
Well my 20 bucks are not important, but I am sad that I would need to sup with the devil to get the games.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:03 am

Mathias wrote:So PP, Creditcard or Bitcoin excludes me completely :-(

Might I suggest you to offer me a free Firebee battery and I send you those 3 games ? :) (philia, alice, yopaz)

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:41 pm

Orion_ wrote: Might I suggest you to offer me a free Firebee battery and I send you those 3 games ? :) (philia, alice, yopaz)
Just for the records, I do not offer anything. I am sitting in Vienna/Austria and Medusa Computer Systems is near Zürich/Switzerland. I just try to support Fredi Aschwanden from MCS with all the "office tasks" as far as possible, but I never had anything to do with money, or sellings and that stuff.
So I cannot offer you anything for my private joy ;)

But in this case it is extra sad, as I already suggested MCS to send you the battery for free as a little excuse for the 4 weeks of waiting time (see the other thread with our mailproblems). So we need to find another way. ;) I would like to make a wire transfere, or simply send you some bucks in a letter, or whatever ;)
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”