Firmware Upgrade Woes on FireBee

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Firmware Upgrade Woes on FireBee

Postby Mathias » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Yes: "Run EmuTOS in fully ColdFire native mode (DIP switch No. 5 down, No. 6 up)"
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:19 am

When I do that the FireBee chirps nonstop like a stuck key on the keyboard and goes straight to the ColdBoot menu and locks up. I set the settings back to what they were prior with both 5 and 6 UP and the system will not boot now to the CF. It starts booting and when it starts reading from the AUTO Folder the system does a reboot.

I tried my spare CF with a fresh install of MiNT that I have and it did the same thing so it appears that the CF card is not corrupt.

Looks like I will have to reflash the FireBee again and hopefully that will straighten things out.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Galvez
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Galvez » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:40 am

fmh wrote:When I do that the FireBee chirps nonstop like a stuck key on the keyboard and goes straight to the ColdBoot menu and locks up.

What kind of keyboard are you using? and which BaS?
Be aware that if you run the FireBee in native mode any non ColdFire binary load from the AUTO folder can crash your system, in theory you should see and "Illegal Instruction" message.

fmh wrote:I set the settings back to what they were prior with both 5 and 6 UP and the system will not boot now to the CF. It starts booting and when it starts reading from the AUTO Folder the system does a reboot.

I suffer this a lot, but I don't know the culprit, at some point I thought that it was related with the FireBee not liking some CF card types, but now I think it has to do with the BaS version I'm using.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:53 pm

I am using a generic Dell USB Keyboard and generic Dell USB Mouse.

As far as the BaS goes whatever was the latest version posted here http://firebee.org/fb-bin/support?lng=EN at the end of October so I assume BaS 0.8.6.2.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Galvez
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Galvez » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:56 pm

fmh wrote:I am using a generic Dell USB Keyboard and generic Dell USB Mouse.

The combination BaS(gcc)+EmuTOS doesn't allow yet to use USB keyboards or mice.
You'll need an ATARI keyboard or a PS/2 keyboard with an Eiffel adapter.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:43 pm

I've been using a USB Keyboard and Mouse since June pretty much without issue except what has been listed in this thread.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:37 pm

fmh wrote:I've been using a USB Keyboard and Mouse since June pretty much without issue except what has been listed in this thread.

Not with EmuTOS over the DIP switches (in full native Coldfire Mode). For explenation; FireTOS includes a few more functionality by other software parts. So for USB "uboot" is used and booted before the TOS 4.04 itselve. That means if you select EmuTOS via the FireTOS bootselection, EmuTOS can use FireTOS´uboot USB implementation without knowing anything about USB at all.
But if you select EmuTOS via DIP switches, there is no USB driver at all, and you need the Atari or PS/2 keyboards (with Eiffel adapter) as mentioned by galvez.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:02 pm

At the TOS Selection screen I normally select #1 TOS 404 for MiNT.

In the past regardless what TOS I selected the USB mouse and keyboard has been recognized.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:39 am

Dear fmh, you really need to somehow understand the documentation we wrote and what we try to explain you for some months now. I got the feeling that there are still some basics totally missunderstood by you. That shall not be an allegation, but we really need to somehow understand each other. In this thread you are often switching from one issue to another and permanentely mixing up things.

Once again about TOS:

You got FireTOS and EmuTOS in ROM
And you need to select one of them to boot.
You can do this selection either with the FireTOS boot menue OR with the DIP switches!

If you see the FireTOS boot menue, you can also select EmuTOS and use FireTOS USB implementation for EmuTOS. If you selected EmuTOS by the DIP switches, there is no USB at all.

And if you boot EmuTOS the FreeMiNT setup, as EasyMiNT, as both of them are not 100% clean ColdFire, cannot be used!
In the other thread you even talk about EasyMiNT as program for FreeMiNT. That is also not possible you cannot install EasyMiNT over an existing FreeMiNT, problems are assured in such a case.

So; what are we recently talking about? You try to boot EmuTOS, selected over the DIP switches? Right? If so, you cannot use your USB keyboard. You can as well not use the official FreeMiNT setup with EmuTOS.

What next? Please ask any question, perhaps we can clear things, and explain it better than in the "basic informations" you got with your FireBee or in the postings here the last months.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:02 pm

To answer some of the above questions. Currently I am selecting what TOS to run at boot up time at the TOS Selection Menu. I normally select option #1 TOS404 for MiNT. Then I continue into FreeMiNT. Regardless if I select #2 EMUTOS or #3 TOS404 full the USB Keyboard and Mouse work. That is a function of DIP Switches #5 + #6 being ON. Since I want USB I will have to leave those both ON.

Yes I found that out by accident and someone else explained that I can not use EMUTOS for FreeMiNT for exactly what you said that not all the binaries are Coldfire compatible.

I will agree that some things I did not understand up front or follow fully from the Basic Information sheet but I am well past that now. Plus I just plain did some things wrong too which added to my initial confusing and grief. Also some issues were beyond my control like a bad initial CF Card which Kingston tested and replaced already.

I do feel I am now clearly stating what I wish to accomplish from reading other people's comments and posts.

What I would like to do I started a separate thread here viewtopic.php?f=92&t=29053 is run the included FreeMiNT with supported applications like the latest builds of Netsurf 3.4. I also would like to install EasyMiNT 1.90 from scratch onto a new CF Card. Reason for the first that right now if I can't run certain software with the included supplied FreeMiNT then is there something wrong with the actual FireBee hardware or a setting as I believe the FreeMiNT is correct? Not just Netsurf 3.4 but what other software that should run that is failing on me that is not the software's fault. At this point I do not truly know what is compatible or not. As far as running EasyMiNT I really enjoy EasyMiNT under Aranym to have a full command line and the extra Unix capability. I have been told by many users on this forum that both of these should and do run on their FireBees but not on mine.

Granted there are many capabilities and desired uses for the FireBee from each user. It can not be shipped to meet all user requirements directly from Medusa. I am on the journey right now to find the proper settings for the FireBee to meet my desired use for the machine.

Lastly some things I do not understand correctly or fully which is why I ask them on the forum. Last thing I care to do is brick the FireBee. I did have some drama with the Firmware upgrade and was lucky to have a TT keyboard available to get me through it. I have gotten great information and support on the forum with my questions and problems as are the direct emails with you Mathias. It has made my experience much better in owning the FireBee. A big Thank You to everyone.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:45 pm

fmh wrote:Reason for the first that right now if I can't run certain software with the included supplied FreeMiNT then is there something wrong with the actual FireBee hardware or a setting as I believe the FreeMiNT is correct? Not just Netsurf 3.4 but what other software that should run that is failing on me that is not the software's fault. At this point I do not truly know what is compatible or not. As far as running EasyMiNT I really enjoy EasyMiNT under Aranym to have a full command line and the extra Unix capability. I have been told by many users on this forum that both of these should and do run on their FireBees but not on mine.

Check the MINT.INI file and see if you have accidentally set memory protection on.

if you ran with base of firetos (select 1 from menu). compatibility is very good.
With CF compiled apps, you get speed improvements only (i may be wrong).
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:14 am

fmh wrote:To answer some of the above questions.

OK, thanks for your answer. Now I can be sure you really got the differences of EmuTOS, FireTOS and the two possibilities how to select them (Switches and FireTOS menue) as the differences of every MiNT (FreeMiNT, official FreeMiNT setup, EasyMiNT, SpareMiNT).

I really wondered as you ran into so many different problems and first mixed up several things. It is perhaps of my bad english that I now thougth you are still missunderstanding some basics.

And finally, flashing the Bee is usually not a huge problem. So changing the Bees "firmware" is perhaps just "dangerous" if you have a important well working CompactFlash card with many individual data and configs. But fmh never had a well working setup at all, as far as I understood. Beginning with the damaged CF card that got shipped to him, ... :-/

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Right now I believe I have a stable working setup on my main CF Card. I need to back it up before doing anything new.

Some issues may have been caused as wongck suggested that I tried too many changes at once. Now that I think I have a stable system I will leave it alone and continue setting it up as I would like it to be. For now not to worry about EasyMiNT and test builds of Netsurf 3.4. I'm still not 100% sure that all is working properly but it is running and stable if I do not introduce anything new.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”