Firmware Upgrade Woes on FireBee

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Firmware Upgrade Woes on FireBee

Postby fmh » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:08 pm

In regards to my Firebee MiNT/Firmware issues for the Netsurf from this thread viewtopic.php?f=92&t=28668

I have done the following so far.

1 : Took a clean CF card and did a fresh install of FreeMiNT and the 1.18.o Update from here : http://atari.nvg.org/firebee-mint/
The FireBee booted fine but still did not run Netsurf 3.4 build 3000.

2: I then went and made sure my setting matched the screen shots for FireTOS Boot and Video.

3: As per instructions at http://atari.nvg.org/firebee-mint/ I upgraded the Firmware from the FLASHER Folder I updated the FireTOS and FPGA.

Go to reboot and I pretty much have a Door Stop. USB no longer works (no keyboard or mouse) , Will not boot from the CF (During boot it is looking for what appears an IDE drive).

What I have done so far after this has been attach my TT keyboard but only during a certain point during the boot process will the FireBee see the TT keyboard. Otherwise it will not work. Mouse doesn't work. I'm glad I remembered I can use the Alt and Arrow keys to simulate a mouse and Alt Instert for Enter. I took an empty SD card and put the CPX folder on it with COPS but COPS is looking for C:\CPX so I tired ZCONTROL and said to look for A:\CPX. Now either I get a white screen with the Busy Bee or I get a kernal panic.

That's all the time I had this morning to put towards this as I had to leave.

Next up I am going :
1 : Try a different Control Panel Program to access the CPXs and make sure everything is correct and make sure that Boot is set to CF.
2 : Copy the FLASHER Folder to the SD and rerun the updates.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Firmware Upgrade Woes on FireBee

Postby Mathias » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:28 pm

The "firmware" inside JoEvens MiNT setup is from 2012, ...
As I told you in the other thread, go to firebee.org and download from the support subpage, the latest TOS, FPGA, BaS
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:41 pm

To get USB back should I update the FPGA first?
Atari Gamer
FireBee

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Also since there will be (hopefully soon) a new batch of FireBee users I would suggest that http://atari.nvg.org/firebee-mint/ be corrected and linked to http://firebee.org/fb-bin/support?lng=EN (In my case English) for the latest firmware.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Where do I go to see all the version levels of firmware installed on the FireBee? Is there an app or command I can run that lists this?
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:13 pm

USB support is inside FireTOS, but flashing all 4 components is a matter of 5 minutes. About Jo Evens website, recently we are still linking to it for downloading the official FreeMiNT Setup. Later when we did own pages at firebee.org for the MiNT Setup it´s up to him, as it is his page, and his work. I see no problem in having it online at several places.

About the versions of software, there is recently no mechanism to read the ROM and say which versions you got. For TOS you see it at bootup, but for the FPGA you have to know it recently or reflash it to be 100% sure.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:52 pm

I saw last night was an EmuTOS update. I see that this is not the same as FireTOS on the FireBee support page.

Without a reliable keyboard and no mouse it may take me much more than 5 minutes but I will do the FireTOS first.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Of course FireTOS and EmuTOS are diffenrent Operating Systems that are inside your ROM at the same time! You can choose which to boot with the DIP Switches at your board, or with the FireTOS boot menue. Usually people use FireTOS to be able to use the 68k GEM applications. So to figure out your problems EmuTOS is of no interrest recently. We can care about it later!
When you reflash to the latest FireTOS, your USB problems should be gone, and you have your mouse back.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:17 am

OK Folks here's where I am at currently.

1: Got the CF recognized again and the FireBee can see the CF and Boot from it. This was in the in the FireTOS CPX.
Shut down the FireBee and turned back on.
2: Installed the latest FireTOS firmware.
This brought back USB!
3: Installed the latest FPGA. When asked "Confirm writing flash sector at (Bas or dBUG or FPGA table)" I selected "Yes All"
4: Downloaded the latest BaS GCC ZIP File. Unzipped it and in the bas_0.8.6.2 folder from Flasher I chose the bas.s19 from the firebee folder and not the the m548lite folder. When asked "Confirm writing flash sector at (Bas or dBUG or FPGA table)" I selected "Yes All".

I have a fresh install of FreeMiNT patched on CF. There is noting else copied or installed on the CF.
Tried Netsurf 3.4 build 3000 from SD card and the FireBee still locks up. So it appears that whatever is wrong is still not right with my FireBee.

I shut the FireBee down figuring I was done for the night and forgot to write something down went to turn the FireBee on and just a Black Screen. Tried again and got into a forever reboot cycle shortly after the Fuji Symbol. Turned the FireBee off, unplugged the power supply, plugged back in and tried FireTOS for MiNT and reboot cycle. I did think about disconnecting the battery but chose not to yet. Tried FireTOS and reboot cycle. Shut down and popped out the CF. Did not help. Shut down and took out the SD card. Did not help. Put the SD back in. Tried EmuTOS (which has never worked on my FireBee) and after 30 seconds of a black screen the EmuTOS desktop came up. I was shocked to say the least. The SD card was not recognized by EmuTOS. I was going to see about reflashing but could not get to the SD. Actually no drives showed up. I rebooted and tried FireTOS and got the standard TOS Desktop and reflashed FPGA and BaS. Shutdown and it has rebooted twice since then just fine to the CF.

That's all I have time for tonight.

Any thoughts? Did I miss something or do something incorrectly? I tried to be as accurate as possible in my description on what I did tonight. I did not flash EmuTOS yet but that shouldn't be causing me any grief especially if I don't boot into EmuTOS but who knows.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:16 am

I dont know if that have any impact on the NetSurf running but do you have installed NVDI?
I never tried NetSurf withoud NVDI installed.
The other thing maybe would help is to set bigger cache (dont know which, I should check when I would be at home) in mint.cnf config. I remember I had issues with that when running NetSurf but not to have FireBee loocked right after running it.

That are two things come to my mind now.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:55 am

Very strange about the reboot cycles, ... reflashing was the right action. And all your flashing-steps were totally right done. Glad that you have your USB back, as expected. Sorry about the CF-card, I didn´t think about the possibility that you changed the selection in the CPX, but now we know there is no hardware problem here as well.

About EmuTOS not recognising the SD-Card, this is ok as well as the FireBee gets delivered with an older EmuTOS and SD-Card support was introduced later. See the support article at firebee.org: http://firebee.org/fb-bin/page?label=fb_sd_card&lng=EN When you reflash to the latest EmuTOS now, it will also support hot swapping.

About Netsurf, I have never tried to start it from SD-Card. Try to copy it over to the CF-Card, and see if there are changes. You could also try to access it not via "C" but via drive "U" (and access "C" from there). And finally I would try to download it again, and unpack it directly at the FireBee (using QExtract by double clicking to the packed archive). I had some problems when my Mac unpacked stuff differently to the FireBee (especially textfiles that were written with wrong line endings for example). As said, I´ve tried Netsurf at an setup without NVDI, and it worked well as well, so that shouldn´t be the problem.

Things are getting better with your setup and we will iron out the last problems as well! Well done this night shift, fmh! ;)

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:54 pm

I had some time tonight to Flash EmuTOS and try Netsurf 3.4 again.

I downloaded both EmuTOS 0.9.4 and 0.9.5. I tried 0.9.5 first. Flashed that, shutdown, and booted into EmuTOS. I got a screen of garbage. I then tried 0.9.4 and the same thing. (See attached screen shot). I did not do any other flashing or messing around at this point.

I did boot into FireTOS for MiNT and downloaded Netsurf 3.4 build 3016 from the FireBee and UnZipped it there. I then tried running it via Drive U: to C: to run the Netsurf App and it locked the FireBee up solid again. I even let it sit for a minute. Didn't make any difference it was still locked up. CTL-ALT-DELETE didn't reboot the system either.

And that's all I had time for tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:14 am

fmh wrote:I downloaded both EmuTOS 0.9.4 and 0.9.5. I tried 0.9.5 first. Flashed that, shutdown, and booted into EmuTOS. I got a screen of garbage. I then tried 0.9.4 and the same thing. (See attached screen shot). I did not do any other flashing or messing around at this point.

The output shown indicates that you probably have MiNT components incompatible with EmuTOS (it's not EmuTOS output, it's MiNT).

EmuTOS for the Firebee doesn't have an 68k emulator built in (like FireTOS does), thus you need to make sure that all programs/drivers (including all MiNT components) are "Coldfire clean".

I suppose one or more components of your MiNT installation aren't.

Try if EmuTOS comes up cleanly if you don't start MiNT.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:15 am

oops. Double post.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:49 am

I will remove the CF Card tonight and try again. Prior to this the time I did boot into EmuTOS I got the EmuTOS Desktop but no drives were accessible so I didn't even consider that now it was trying to read the CF. I did see MiNT reference in the screen shot but thought maybe EmUTOS was reading part of the FireTOS ROM Space.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:59 pm

mfro wrote:The output shown indicates that you probably have MiNT components incompatible with EmuTOS (it's not EmuTOS output, it's MiNT).

EmuTOS for the Firebee doesn't have an 68k emulator built in (like FireTOS does), thus you need to make sure that all programs/drivers (including all MiNT components) are "Coldfire clean".

I suppose one or more components of your MiNT installation aren't.

Try if EmuTOS comes up cleanly if you don't start MiNT.

[/quote]

That was it. EmuTOS was trying to boot MiNT from CF. I popped the CF Card out and EmuTOS 0.9.4 booted just fine. I shut down and flashed 0.9.5 to the FireBee and that booted fine also.

Thanks
Atari Gamer
FireBee

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:37 am

fmh wrote:That was it. EmuTOS was trying to boot MiNT from CF. I popped the CF Card out and EmuTOS 0.9.4 booted just fine. I shut down and flashed 0.9.5 to the FireBee and that booted fine also.

Thanks

You'll find a reasonably current Coldfire-clean MiNT installation that runs just fine on top of EmuTOS on Vincent's pages: http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68 ... /freemint/

This will also enable networking in MiNT if you put bascook.prg (you should have got this with your BaS_gcc download) into your auto folder.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:16 am

Perhaps it would be a wise idea to not confuse fmh much more until his FireBee is working as expected. Last posting made clear that it was not clear to him that the official FreeMiNT setup is not 100% ColdFire code and thus does not run with EmuTOS, but just with FireTOS. Also he tried EasyMiNT and mixed up his setup in the beginning. And still not everything is working well with his Bee at the moment. fmh even already thinks he has some hardware problems, ...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Run everything from FireTOS, there will sure be some applications that are only in 68000 codes.
There should be little decrease in performance, but not really noticeable.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:18 pm

I don't remember where I read it but that's what the posting said to run FireTOS. I almost always select FireTOS for FreeMiNT at startup time when the TOS Menu appears. Up until recently I couldn't boot into EmuTOS anyways. I have been running the included FreeMiNT 1.18 that came on CF with the FireBee. Right now I have 3 CF cards. Main CF : has FreeMiNT 1.18 with NVDI and all my tested and working apps on. 2nd CF with fresh install of FreeMiNT 1.18 on it and nothing else to test apps in case I have something setup wrong on my Main CF card. (So far many apps still don't run that should with the clean install of FreeMiNT). 3rd CF which currently is blank that I have attempted to install EasyMiNT 1.90 and even tried 1.83. Neither one will install. For errors you can read about here : viewtopic.php?f=92&t=28518

I never even thought about running MiNT under EmuTOS or thought it was even possible as all I have read has been for FireTOS.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 am

How is your DIP switch looking like?
There is some settings that makes FB run in particular mode.
Look at your docs and see if they are default for normal user.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:31 am

deleted double post

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Been a way for a few weeks from this project and now back on it again. My DIP Switch settings are as follows :

1 : Off
2 : On
3 : Off
4 : Off
5 : On
6 : On

So for people in the know is there anything not set right here? This is how I received the FireBee from Medusa and have not changed anything.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

rudis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rudis » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:23 pm

have a look at the official page here

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:27 pm

Got it. Appears to be the same information that is on the Basic Information Sheet and has not changed.

Should I turn #5 Off to force EmuTOS to run in ColdFire native mode?
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”