- Hatari -

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

- Hatari -

Postby warp12 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:25 pm

While I am waiting for the 2nd production run of Firebee...

Is anyone actively using Hatari or another ST emulator on theirs? Curious about performance/compatibility for legacy games.
Shane

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: - Hatari -

Postby fmh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:49 am

Yes I tried it briefly. It's version 0.50 and performance is not that good. I don't think it's the version but the speed of the FireBee. I have not gotten it straight yet on where the configuration file goes and the format. Best I could do so far was load TOS 2.06 but not any floppy images. I downloaded 0.50 for OSX and will play with it there. Once I have it figured out then I will take the working OSX setup and bring it to the FireBee. It may work fine if you run Hatari on the Firebee from the Terminal but BASH is not installed with the original MiNT setup so I would need to install BASH first.

I just haven't put a whole lot of effort into it up to this point. Maybe a compile of the sources from newer version would help with simplifying configuration and getting it up and running but most likely not so much in making it faster.

Here's my initial impression from a few weeks ago. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28333
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:45 am

I managed to have it work on the Firebee, but it's much too slow to be useful. I don't know if it's the old v 0.5 or the Bee the culprit.
Seems to be more a proof of concept.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:57 pm

v0.50 is faster than current Hatari versions (less accurate emulation often is faster).

Most likely Firebee is just too slow, but make sure you have the timer-d thing enabled and use frame-skip. On slower machines display updates can take a lot of time and Hatari may not have been built against the best performing SDL version.

Note that there are large differences between different programs, how heavy they're to emulate. If program does a lot of interrupts, that can be costly. If the emulated program is configurable, disable things like music, overscan etc, those generate a lot of interrupts & extra things that need to be emulated. After turning music off from games, you can also disable sound from Hatari (SDL thread for that can in some cases take a considerable chunk of CPU).

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:42 am

Faucon2001 wrote:I managed to have it work on the Firebee, but it's much too slow to be useful. I don't know if it's the old v 0.5 or the Bee the culprit.
Seems to be more a proof of concept.

How do you launch Hatari? Is it via command line or did you figure out how to get a working configuration file and location?
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”