All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Semi Weekly Articles in AONE on Life with my new FireBee

Postby fmh » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:21 pm

Hello,

I purchased a FireBee this Summer. Shortly afterwards I started posting almost weekly my impressions, issues, and usage of owning/using a FireBee. For people curious or on the fence on pre-ordering a new batch of FireBees (http://firebee.org/fb-bin/preorder?lng=EN) hopefully these submissions to AONE will help you decide. Currently we are 12 pre-orders from starting producing the next batch of FireBees.

As I stated in AONE these are my opinions on how I use the FireBee and that everybody's requirements are different.

To read the current AONE issue online : http://people.delphiforums.com/dpj/aone.htm AONE main page is : http://www.atarinews.org/index.php?page=home (Seems like the 2015 back issues are not currently up to date at the moment). I subscribed to AONE a long time ago at : http://www.atarinews.org/mailman/listinfo/a-one This way I get the latest issue every Friday Night.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Bengy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: Semi Weekly Articles in AONE on Life with my new FireBee

Postby Bengy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:38 am

Just read it, thank you for sharing. Although I already have my pre-order in, I am very interested in such write-ups. Look forward to your next report. What email client did you end up using (if any?).

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:00 am

I haven't set one up yet but was going to test the Cold Fire version of Troll with SSL plug in. I own ASH Emailer but that wants to run under MagiC only.

Most likely my next submission will be on Document Handling. I've been doing a little bit of everything but then I never get to write something up because I never seem to finish. The Web Browsing I did the most of but finally decided that I had better put it in writing. I have seven more main topics (possibly eight) that I wish to write with setting the FireBee up as a day to day machine. Those are Document Handling, Networking, Printing, Email, Media Handling, Gaming, and Backup. Some are going to be a bit more difficult for me in setting them up as I have never done it before or it has been many years (LPD Printer).
Atari Gamer
FireBee

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:01 am

Great to read such articles. Just go on with that! :)
It is strange you have problems running NestSurf 3.4 on your FireBee. I have quite recent 3.4 running on my FireBee and I use it for everyday browsing. True, it is not latest (will check latest very soon) but I update NetSurf on regular basis and I never had problems running it on my FireBee. Still, if there is now problem with the latest binnaries I can provide you my build number so you can check.

Thanks for the article!

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Great article! Please continue :)

You answer many quastion I had regarding NetSurf and FireBee!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:33 pm

I will have to try another build of Netsurf again for Atari. On Windows quality seems to change from build to build. Maybe I just caught a funky build that time that I tried on the FireBee.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:40 pm

I just tried latest (yesterday) build of NetSurf on my FireBee and it works great :)
I guess you realy should try it again.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:12 am

I just tried Build 3000 of Netsurf 3.4 and I do not get the warning about a FPU but the FireBee locks up solid just as Netsurf window appears on the screen.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:09 am

I have Build 3000 working. I have a feeling it is even a little faster as previous one ... but I didnt test it much.
Anyway ... seems to me you have problem with your FireBee setup.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:31 pm

vido wrote:I have Build 3000 working. I have a feeling it is even a little faster as previous one ... but I didnt test it much.
Anyway ... seems to me you have problem with your FireBee setup.

Which may be related to NVDI. I seem to remember I couldn't get NetSurf to run at first because of some NVDI settings. I then fiddled/deleted/whatevered the NVDI CPXes and then NetSurf would run. This is all from memory, mind you. So I may be remembering completely wrongly :D
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:14 am

Used to love the text only Atari magazines of old. If memory services when I was on Delphi online service and joined the Atari section, there was a weekly Atari text magazine that had up-to-date info all about Atari. Was the way I got the scoop about Atari in the olden days. Brings back memories. I forget what this text magazine was called..... Was not Aone but like STReport or..... something like that. or I am way off.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:15 am

Used to love the text only Atari magazines of old. If memory services when I was on Delphi online service and joined the Atari section, there was a weekly Atari text magazine that had up-to-date info all about Atari. Was the way I got the scoop about Atari in the olden days. Brings back memories. I forget what this text magazine was called..... Was not Aone but like STReport or..... something like that. or I am way off.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:20 am

@AtariSociety - STReport was one of the two big text magazines back in the day. I tended to prefer ZNet myself. STReport tended to be very tabloid in nature.

Bob C

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:21 pm

I can confirm that Netsurf Build 3000 is running well in general at the FireBee. I tested it right now at my usual Setup with NVDI and at another machine with the old FreeMiNT Setup and without NVDI. It works ok for surfing and displaying websites. No FPU warning or crash at window-drawing. Neverthless it crashed at both FireBees as soon as I tried to enter any textfield here in this forum. Be it quoting or the quick reply. The most recent Build 3005 behaves the same here. Right now I am typing with the official Netsurf 2.9
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Highwire was the browser I was having issues with NVDI.

What I did so far to test was insert my backup CF card that is a working backup of my main CF card from about two months ago. I renamed NVDI in the AUTO folder so it did not run. I then ran Netsurf 3.4 build 3000 and as soon as the Netsurf window came up the FireBee locked up solid. I have a blank CF card that I will do a fresh install of FreeMiNT on and nothing else and try and run Netsurf 3.4. I may attempt to upgrade the FireBee Firmware again. Last time I updated the Firmware the keyboard issue was not resolved and I can no longer boot into EMUTOS (I think that's the last TOS on the Menu).
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:25 pm

fmh, that really sounds like your setup is somehow problematic. I would like to suggest that you go to firebee.org and download all the latest of the needed 4 components for the ROM again and flash them with FLASH060.PRG. That means:
latest FireTOS BETA (recommended one)
latest EmuTOS
latest BaS_gcc
latest FPGA config

Subsequently you could start with your new blank Compact Flash card. Do new clean partitions and unpack a new FreeMiNT setup and do the update to 1.18.0 that you can find as well at firebee.org support. Subsequently a clean NVDI patch again, and your machine should run without such problems as you reported lately.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:31 am

Mathias wrote:... latest BaS_gcc ...

As author of BaS_gcc: I currently strongly recommend against flashing latest BaS_gcc for now unless you have a BDM adapter to rescue yourself from a failed flash.

Flashing BaS_gcc from EmuTOS can cause the flash process to hang. With reset/restart being the only option. After that, you may end up with a nonbooting machine which can only rescued with a BDM pod.

If you flash using FireTOS booted, you should be safe, however. General rules:

• flash BaS from either EmuTOS or FireTOS
  • flash BaS_gcc from FireTOS only
  • flash OS (EmuTOS or FireTOS) from either one. If it fails, you still have the other OS as fallback
  • flash FPGA config from either one

In general, BaS (and BaS_gcc) are the very first code executed when you start up your Bee. If something goes wrong flashing them, you'll need to bootstrap from BDM. The same applies for the FPGA config. I'd recommend flashing these only if necessary. With a BDM adapter, you can always rescue yourself.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”