- Ordering New Firebee? -

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

oehansen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: - Ordering New Firebee? -

Postby oehansen » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Can't help with FPGA development, when graphics is concerned. Can help elsewhere, but graphics is not my cup of tea. So to speak.

So, we are talking v5e ... what I can read, it's only in 2 core version. Each core, 1.3 - 1.4 x speed of v4e. So, we're talking pretty decent. In reality v4e is pretty decent, around 400 Dhrystone 2.1 MIPS, is not bad. Considering that modern 64bit cpu's are at twice that, per core. If I recall.

Backplane? I've been thinking about putting mine in a PCI backplane, but heard some advices against it, because of some problems? What do I need to concern myself with, when the backplane is concerned? So, I can get myself a Radeon card :-)

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Well ... if you want to help just do it ;)
Anything you will do it will help. In software or hardware development or organization, ... just choose what you would like to do or help. Sure there are more important things as computers but if you have some time to waste ... ;)

Regarding Radeon solution just wait. Dont try by yourselfif you dont know what are you doing. The problem is solved now we need just acceptable solution regarding the price.

I dont know how many V5e versions exist. Most known are used by HP in their printers. The fastest I know runs at 540 MHz. But it doesnt mean it is usable for the FireBee without the documentation. And the speed gain by 1.3 or 1.4 is at the same frequency as V4e. Anyway ... there is still a lot of chances to improve FireBee performance without any hardware change.

oehansen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oehansen » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:44 pm

Haven't had much time to do anything these past times, but I am probably getting into an era where I will have some spare time. My current project is finished, the other I'm at is in it's final phases ... nothing on the horizon ... yet. :-) So, I'm likely to have some spare time ahead. I'll see if I can't get my head in order and do something useful.

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Can someone elaborate on the cost of a proper solution for the PCI backplane?

I am just wondering how cost-prohibitive producing such a board would be. Thanks.
Shane

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 pm

warp12 wrote:Can someone elaborate on the cost of a proper solution for the PCI backplane?

I am just wondering how cost-prohibitive producing such a board would be. Thanks.

I do not exactly understand what you mean by "producing such a board"? At the moment we are doing tests inside the team with a 3x backplane for about 25 Euros which needs just 3 solderpoints, plus a proper power solution for about 50 Euros. But the only existing PCI driver is the one for the Radeon at the moment.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:07 pm

I was just going by this post:

Regarding Radeon solution just wait. Dont try by yourselfif you dont know what are you doing. The problem is solved now we need just acceptable solution regarding the price.

So, with the board you are testing, a Radeon 9200 or 9250 pci is the solution? The performance of such a setup will exceed, by far, native graphics of the Firebee?
Shane

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:26 pm

warp12 wrote:So, with the board you are testing, a Radeon 9200 or 9250 pci is the solution?

Yes, every Radeon from the 7000 to the 9250 should work.
warp12 wrote:The performance of such a setup will exceed, by far, native graphics of the Firebee?
It is a lot faster than the FPGA graphics. For more informations refer to the CT6x with CTPCI and Radeon. it is the same driver done by Didier.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:50 am

Mathias wrote: At the moment we are doing tests inside the team with a 3x backplane for about 25 Euros which needs just 3 solderpoints, plus a proper power solution for about 50 Euros. But the only existing PCI driver is the one for the Radeon at the moment.

:D great news. finally a fast video. :angel:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:29 pm

I may have missed an announcement...

It looks like all of the pre-order goals have been met. Any idea when the actual boards will go out to customers?

I am not rushing, just curious. I did pick up a new Radeon 9250 256mb. :)
Shane

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:10 pm

No, you didn´t miss anything.
The production will start soon, and take about 12 weeks. I hope we can tell you more end of next week. As nearly all people asked for mini-cases as well, the assembling and shipping will also take some time and will be done one by one in the order how the preorders came (come) in.

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:13 pm

Sounds great! Thanks for the reply!
Shane

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:37 pm

Status of the new run?
Shane

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:38 am

Status update is here : http://firebee.org/fb-bin/news?action=f ... 298&lng=EN

Scheduled Delivery Date of the 2nd Series
2016-03-05:
End of last week Medusa Computer Systems got the final delivery date ultimately confirmed by the assembling company. The FireBee PCBs of the 2nd series will be supplied to MCS at the 30th of May 2016.

Subsequently the computers will recive a final inspection and testing in Switzerland and will be mounted into the mini-cases and in the order of the preorders piecemeal delivered to you. We will personally come foreward to all preordering persons in about 4 to 8 weeks and ask for the final orders (inkluding a CF-Card, if necessary PSUs, etc.) and will request the payment of the computers.
As a matter of course FireBees can furthermore be preordered by you, as we – like as at the first series – sent far more boards into production than there got preordered.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

oehansen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oehansen » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:16 am

wongck wrote:
Mathias wrote: At the moment we are doing tests inside the team with a 3x backplane for about 25 Euros which needs just 3 solderpoints, plus a proper power solution for about 50 Euros. But the only existing PCI driver is the one for the Radeon at the moment.

:D great news. finally a fast video. :angel:

Is there any news on this? PCI backplane, and radeon?

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:38 pm

There are no news about the ATI and the backplane. I will of course inform all of you as soon as we got reasonable solutions. oehansen are you referring to the discussion at atari-home.de? If so, it is just a theoretical one without any news. If not, it is just by chance that you are asking at the same time.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Mathias wrote:There are no news about the ATI and the backplane.
:-(
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”