Does Midi work on Firebee ?

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Does Midi work on Firebee ?

Postby AtariSociety » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:35 am

I have an Amigan friend that has asked if the Firebee Midi port works. And if it does, what Atari Midi apps work with the Firebee and can these still be purchased used or online digital only?

I know nothing about Midi but he was curious so figured I would ask.

Thanks

TJ

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Does Midi work on Firebee ?

Postby mfro » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:03 am

macsociety wrote:I have an Amigan friend that has asked if the Firebee Midi port works. And if it does, what Atari Midi apps work with the Firebee and can these still be purchased used or online digital only?

Thanks

TJ

The FireBee has all the hardware needed to support Midi, but the necessary soft-/firmware is not complete.

So the answer is: it could, but it doesn't, currently.

hybridst
Atarian
Atarian

Postby hybridst » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:38 pm

mfro wrote:
macsociety wrote:I have an Amigan friend that has asked if the Firebee Midi port works. And if it does, what Atari Midi apps work with the Firebee and can these still be purchased used or online digital only?

Thanks

TJ

The FireBee has all the hardware needed to support Midi, but the necessary soft-/firmware is not complete.

So the answer is: it could, but it doesn't, currently.

It's been two years since the last posting the thread, do I figured I would bump it since I am very interested in MIDI support and application compatibility for Hybrid Arts music programs.

How's MIDI support on the Firebee as we approach 2016?

ryan
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby ryan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:58 pm

When I get my Firebee (I preordered one from the recent batch) I intend on exploring this. There's a working ACIA in the MiST source code repository that apparently works well for MIDI, so it might just be a matter of porting that to work on the FPGA in the Firebee, patching the XBios and Bios calls to make MIDI traffic point to it, and then building a breakout cable. God knows what kind of software compatibility there'd be tho...

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Without a working Romport ?
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

ryan

Postby ryan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:02 pm

In FPGA

moebiusrising
Atarian
Atarian

Postby moebiusrising » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:10 pm

hybridst wrote:
It's been two years since the last posting the thread, do I figured I would bump it since I am very interested in MIDI support and application compatibility for Hybrid Arts music programs.

How's MIDI support on the Firebee as we approach 2016?

I plan on owning both eventually (Firebee 2 is proposed to be 560 euros which (as of this date) brings me up to $860 CAD which is a little too rich for my blood, at present)

I have recently acquired a MiST FPGA with Atari ST core and MIDI option and can confirm both Cubase 3.01 (MCA) and the now freeware EditTrack Platinum 7.1 work quite good (there's been some lockup issues with EditTrack when deleting tracks which at present can only be circumvented by saving your project before you delete tracks).

Example here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaR5kkiBt8

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”