Any new and exciting Firebee news this month to share?

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Any new and exciting Firebee news this month to share?

Postby m0n0 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:51 pm

I believe it won't work because of fVDI issue ( open physical workstation -> can not be closed )

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:19 pm

joska wrote:
Zogging Hell wrote:Couple of little things (requests!), mainly cosmetic, there seems to be a typo in the DCHP configuration program (adress?)

Correct, that's my fault. Will fix it.

:)

joska wrote:
Zogging Hell wrote: and is there any chance of a nice splash screen to hide all that text at boot if wanted (it's useful, but ugly as hell!)?

Not a big problem to create a splash-screen, but then you won't see what MiNT is trying to tell you.

But I agree that all the text output when booting MiNT is ugly. A lot of it is pretty useless for the average user. I'm sure that much of this output could have been limited to debug kernels.

Maybe just some method of toggling it off and on using the keyboard at boot would be good? (default to off).
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:09 pm

m0n0 wrote:I believe it won't work because of fVDI issue ( open physical workstation -> can not be closed )

You don't have to use the VDI.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:19 am

Great news !!
So from what I understand, the PIC issue is solved, and the case is almost ready ?
Plus the firemint distrib, seems like the Firebee is soon to be ready for the enduser.

A question about radeon and ctpci, how the vdi can be accelerated by the radeon ?
Does the driver use radeon gpu acceleration ?
Is a "supervidel" like acceleration planned on the Firebee fpga ?

I want to buy a firebee because it will be much easier to setup and cost less than buying again hardware stuff for my ct60 (like ctpci+radeon)
So I hope it will achieve same video speed, even if it's planned for future fpga update.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:41 am

Orion_ wrote:So from what I understand, the PIC issue is solved, and the case is almost ready ?

There's still no PS/2 adapter in the PIC. The main thing is that the PIC is now ready (but untested!) for firmware updates without any external equipment.

Orion_ wrote:Plus the firemint distrib, seems like the Firebee is soon to be ready for the enduser.

I have been using FreeMiNT on the Firebee for almost a year now. It's stable and - with one exception - full featured.

Orion_ wrote:A question about radeon and ctpci, how the vdi can be accelerated by the radeon ?
Does the driver use radeon gpu acceleration ?

It does. It works exactly like a Radeon on a CT60/CTPCI.

Orion_ wrote:Is a "supervidel" like acceleration planned on the Firebee fpga ?

I don't know. Nobody's working on the Videl currently.

Orion_ wrote:I want to buy a firebee because it will be much easier to setup and cost less than buying again hardware stuff for my ct60 (like ctpci+radeon)
So I hope it will achieve same video speed, even if it's planned for future fpga update.

Both Videl- and Radeon graphics is already faster on the Firebee than on the CT60.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:30 pm

oh wait, we can add a radeon card on the firebee ?
Where is the pci port ?

I was expecting "radeon style" graphics on a standard firebee without the need to add a radeon card.
Does the firebee standard video chip can do 32bits graphics or only standard falcon resolution ?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:39 pm

The Firebee has a PCI connector. You need to connect it to a passive PCI backplane to interface to other PCI units.

The graphics "chip" on the Firebee is a Videl implemented in the FPGA chip. It's currently mostly Videl-compatible. It has all the standard Videl modes and also 8-bit chunky and 32bit true-colour. But there is no blitter or hardware acceleration.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Didier Méquignon firebee with the CTCPI & Radeon.
His is probably the fastest of them all.

My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:52 pm

is it possible to just use the PCI backplane that comes with the CTPCI?
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Dal wrote:is it possible to just use the PCI backplane that comes with the CTPCI?

No. What you see above was a crazy weekend from Didier where he soldered every single PIN you can see! ;)

We have a PCI 64-Bit backplane with a few modifications. It´s Euro 20,-, but I would love to do some further tests before we offer it "publicly".
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Xyla
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Xyla » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Well at first I was excited about the built-in video and the Firebee case, but now I am wondering if I would prefer a Radeon card.

Are there any cases anywhere that will fit a Firebee with the video card/passive backplane configuration? I can't picture how it would work with the size of the Firebee board and the arrangements of ports.

Also, what kinds of Radeon cards will work? I'm interested in the possibility of using an ArcadeVGA card because it has 15khz output: http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html
The current model is based on something called the RV630 chipset, but there are older models based on the Radeon 7000 and 9200. Any chance I would be able to get any of those cards to work with the Firebee?

Also I was wondering... what is the speed of the built-in graphics compared to a stock Falcon? From what I am hearing here, it might be worse on the Firebee due to the lack of a blitter. Is that correct? If that is the case, I'm definitely going to want to go with a Radeon.

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 pm

I don't think using a radeon card or additionnal pci card on Firebee is a good solution, firebee has everything (usb, ethernet and so on), so I guess the video acceleration/blitter should be added later in an fpga update :)
Even if, I think, the video now is already fast on a standard firebee.
I remember seeing a falcon with radeon without any acceleration implemented, and it was already pretty fast, a lot faster than original videl on slow stram bus.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 pm

My informations are that only Radeon 7xxx, 8xxx and 9xxx cards are working. But the 7xxx have a bug, and the 8xxxs are untested. So we are stuck to the 9xxx-line. As said in our November news, we got a source, and will offer Radeons tested and working directly, the fastest availaible ones 9200. Please give us some more months and let´s finish the "small enclosures" and shipp them proviously. Than we can do the next step and care about "bigger enclosures" ATX style etc.
For any uncommon displays, the FireBee Video Out DVI-I can even produce every possible Frequencies. So if you know what you are doing, you can build a simpleadapter, plugin your SM monitors and use them directly. No need for an extra graphiccard.

About the speed, i never had a Falcon, so I can just tell from my Hades. And the FPGA-Graphics is better than my 4MB Mach64. It is still a "wow" effect for Atari-Users seeing the 1920 x 1200 in 32 Bit and still really usable. So scrolling is not what it could be, and there is stil some "overhead" that could be maxed out by an VHDL-Guru.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:58 pm

I have a Milan060 with an ATI graphics card. The ATI is way faster than the Firebee "Videl". However, if you compare Firebee Videl with a real Falcon you'll notice a huge speedup. Also, the Firebee can display full HD (1920x1080) in 16 or 32 bit and still be usable.

The Firebee Videl is still a Videl though. The CPU has to do all the work. So if you need to scroll a 1920x1080x32 screen it will be pretty slow. I hope that an enhanced blitter will be added to the FPGA at some point.
Jo Even

Xyla
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Xyla » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:54 am

Ok, thanks for the info. I guess I will stick with my original plan and go for the Firebee with the small enclosure and try out the built-in video. Hopefully it won't be too long until the blitter can be implemented in the FPGA.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:59 am

That sounds like a good desicion, and remember you can always switch to an "PCI-System" with the same FireBee if you are once "unhappy". But to be honest, don´t expect such an FPGA update in the next months, we have recently nobody working on the Blitter or DSP.

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to ask to the lucky Firebee owners if they could test a little program for me on their Firebee ?
I posted the program in the topic of my upcoming game, and I would be very glad to see if it's working on Firebee !
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21564&p=207022#p207022

I compiled for 68030, I hope it works !
Thank you !

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm sorry, I can only test the 256 colors version, because my screen only supports max 16bit colors :(

In 256 Colors mode everything looks like garbage. However, when using GEM mode, at least it's stable, and it looks like the image is maybe just garbage because of palette issue.

In Falcon mode, the firebee switches to an strange resolution ( maybe for widescreen?? ) - and the image looks almost the same.

When I click, I get an message box telling me the click coords.

Orion_
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Orion_ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:17 am

I think it's because the 8bits mode of the firebee is chunky, and not plannar as the falcon.
But I was more thinking about mode 32bits for the firebee.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:44 am

http://acp.atari.org was updated with some more news yesterday.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 am

Noticed Thing 1,29 on one of the graphics.
Where can we dl that version?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:09 am

Nowhere, I think.
Jo Even

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:25 am

joska wrote:Nowhere, I think.

Hi joska any info on locating Thing 1.29? thanxs
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:13 am

The only place I know of is my harddrive ;) It has never been made available, it's a beta sent directly to beta-testers by the author of Thing! about 12 years ago.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:43 am

Ok so noway to connect your hdd to the internet. :wink:

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”