Any new and exciting Firebee news this month to share?

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Any new and exciting Firebee news this month to share?

Postby AtariSociety » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Just thought I would post a new thread since the last entry in Firebee threads was back Nov 26th.

Any fun new news from users or developers working with Firebee that can be shared?

tj

jokker
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Any new and exciting Firebee news this month to share?

Postby jokker » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:14 am

I waiting for mine to arrive :D

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:01 am

jokker wrote:I waiting for mine to arrive :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Absolutely great! I love that kind of humor.
And, I can confirm that jokker really ordered one! ;)
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:12 pm

jokker wrote:I waiting for mine to arrive :D

Cool. Congrats on your order.

I am waiting for the end user case version to buy mine.

jokker
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jokker » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Yeah I do enjoy the idea of tinkering with this new Atari platform.

Hope it arrived before Xmas so I can spend my holidays playing with it!

_Troy

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:47 am

I think what I was trying to get at was, did that whole case by December thing happen?

I seem to remember the cases would be done by December so was hoping to see updated news about FireBee for the end user coming at a theatre near you like real soon now. :lol:

tj

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:13 pm

macsociety wrote:did that whole case by December thing happen?
It did. The cases are ready, in aluminum. 3 weeks delay by bad communication and a different situation in mid of November than beginning of November at that company. Recently I am struggeling with the laquering company, when the will deliver, but it should happen before christmas. ;)
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Xyla
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Xyla » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm

How about this month?

Any news regarding the PIC situation? I'm still planning to order a Firebee but I'm waiting at least until that part is solved.

Also how is the 68k->Coldfire stuff coming along for running old binaries?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:11 pm

There will be some news posted very soon.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am

Xyla wrote: Also how is the 68k->Coldfire stuff coming along for running old binaries?

Just for the records; half of the "old binaries" are working immediatly, even with the recent cf68klib. The next huge step wil follow somewhere in summer (or whenever the coder is done) when our own library is finished, that replaces the CF68klib.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:17 pm

See http://acp.atari.org for the latest news.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Wow that video looks really good, some really useful tools in there to make things more friendly as well. Good work all of you! :cheers:

Couple of little things (requests!), mainly cosmetic, there seems to be a typo in the DCHP configuration program (adress?) and is there any chance of a nice splash screen to hide all that text at boot if wanted (it's useful, but ugly as hell!)? And more of an Xaaes question, is there any way to disable that 3D metallic looking top menu? I know you can change the window themes, but not managed to find an option to go back to the classic black on white look in the config file so far on my CT60 Falcon, probably just missing something ;) That said I'm sure you Firebee developers have far better things to do! Once again great work though really nice to see, will be putting my hand in my pocket for one later this year with any luck. :)
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Zogging Hell wrote: wanted (it's useful, but ugly as hell!)? And more of an Xaaes question, is there any way to disable that 3D metallic looking top menu? I know you can change the window themes, but not managed to find an option to go back to the classic black on white look in the config file so far on my CT60 Falcon, probably just missing something ;) That said I'm sure you Firebee developers have far better things to do! Once again great work though really nice to see, will be putting my hand in my pocket for one later this year with any luck. :)

You might get a 2-colored menu with the monochrome rsc-file (once it's there). Be sure to disable gradients and textures.

-Helmut

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:20 pm

joska wrote:See http://acp.atari.org for the latest news.

Video is great.
:megaphone: Look at the speed the Mint boot up is going.... great stuff. [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_12.gif] :cheers:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Zogging Hell wrote:Couple of little things (requests!), mainly cosmetic, there seems to be a typo in the DCHP configuration program (adress?)

Correct, that's my fault. Will fix it.

Zogging Hell wrote: and is there any chance of a nice splash screen to hide all that text at boot if wanted (it's useful, but ugly as hell!)?

Not a big problem to create a splash-screen, but then you won't see what MiNT is trying to tell you.

But I agree that all the text output when booting MiNT is ugly. A lot of it is pretty useless for the average user. I'm sure that much of this output could have been limited to debug kernels.
Jo Even

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I like the successful merging of the old Atari feel and vibe, with the modern Linux style GUI and features. The only real problem is the CPU architecture and gaining more power to make it on a par with modern PC systems. But for now who cares, just enjoy the hard work and the nice system! :cheers:

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Since I can't really understand from the video, how fast is the vdi output compared to a ctpci falcon for example? Also a splash screen would be a very good idea, I use one on my falcon.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Shredder11 wrote:The only real problem is the CPU architecture and gaining more power to make it on a par with modern PC systems.

This, quite simply, is impossible. Even Apple was unable to do it. If you want raw power, nothing beats an up-to-date PC. The FireBee has different goals than raw power.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 pm

jfl wrote:
Shredder11 wrote:The only real problem is the CPU architecture and gaining more power to make it on a par with modern PC systems.

This, quite simply, is impossible. Even Apple was unable to do it. If you want raw power, nothing beats an up-to-date PC. The FireBee has different goals than raw power.

The you-tube video shows the the Firebee as more responsive than a modern PC. Where is the speed problem?

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Hippy Dave wrote:
jfl wrote:

The you-tube video shows the the Firebee as more responsive than a modern PC. Where is the speed problem?

Nowhere, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not buying a Firebee to play HD videos.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:20 pm

christos wrote:Since I can't really understand from the video, how fast is the vdi output compared to a ctpci falcon for example?

I would expect the VDI on a Falcon with CTPCI to be a *lot* faster. The FireBee has what's essentially a Videl. A very capable Videl, but the CPU still has to do everything. I have a Milan060 and a Falcon040, both with ATI PCI graphics cards. Both are much faster than the graphics on my Firebee.

The FireBee has the same TOS as the CT60. You can use the same graphics card as the CTPCI. You "just" need a passive backplane. Matthias can say more about that, I'm currently not interested in such a solution and don't know much about it, but might buy a second FireBee with a graphics card later.

christos wrote:Also a splash screen would be a very good idea, I use one on my falcon.

With MiNT? Which one? I might work on the FireBee as well.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:20 pm

christos wrote:Since I can't really understand from the video, how fast is the vdi output compared to a ctpci falcon for example? Also a splash screen would be a very good idea, I use one on my falcon.

Not sure how fast is the vdi. Probably someone with a FB can give some benchmark.
However, in the boot up you do not see any major pause to load/run the individual modules/programs. Even the graphics bitmap conversion is fast, unlike that of the TT where you see that it pauses at each conversion. True, on the CT63 it's also fast.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:11 am

Well the scrolling is slow recently. The pictures itself feels much faster drawn than at my Hades with 4 MB Mach64 (moving windows, opening folders, ... ), but scrolling feels faster at my MegaST.

Jo Even, I still did not manage to get the Radeon up and running. So recently Didier seems to be the only one with working FireBee & Radeon. But that makes what he calls "the fastest Atari machine in existance".

And what someone should not forget as well; a good VHDL-Developer could implement us an SuperVidel like core! Any volunteers? :mrgreen:

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:10 am

joska wrote:
With MiNT? Which one? I might work on the FireBee as well.

I am using kabooter, it might work since it's for videl.

Download
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks, I will try it on my Firebee.
Jo Even

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”