Bad Flash on my Firebee

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Bad Flash on my Firebee

Postby Mathias » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:28 pm

wongck wrote:Are there detailed steps for flashing ?

Yes, for more than 5 years! It's at every C partition of delivered FireBees and called "readme.txt" inside the folder "flasher".
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:25 am

vido wrote:
Gamer wrote:Here is basically what happened. I went under EmuTOS (with Mint booted), ran the CF version of the Flasher program, loaded in the FPGA s19 file and ran the flasher. It then crashed. So that screwed up the Rom Flash chip. I can only say if I cannot recover from this and the Firebee is bricked, then I will chalk it up to my own stupidity and just order another one.

I advise you the next time flash new firmware from plain FireTOS with firmware files stored on the SD card.
This is the way I do it after I had similar or the same problem as you. For now it works ok.

Yes I agree with you, but I had flashed some Firebee drivers from Didier's homepage and it slow the boot from FireTOS to about 20 minutes. I was not sure if anything would work, so I went with EmuTOS. But now I have a TT keyboard, so maybe that will help me in the future...

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:59 am

Mathias wrote:
wongck wrote:Are there detailed steps for flashing ?

Yes, for more than 5 years! It's at every C partition of delivered FireBees and called "readme.txt" inside the folder "flasher".

Great !! good to know.
now when that faster IDE comes out officially, I will flash it. :D
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Well now I have the BDM Multi-link device and I found an old XP laptop that I can run Cf Flasher so I can re-flash the firebee. However the XP laptop does not have a AC adapter, so I ordered one and am waiting for that. I also talked with Didier and he says he uses debug to flash the FB using a PC. Anyone ever use debug for this purpose and where to find the program? Also, CD Flasher asks for a target. I notice the 5474 chip is on the list but not the eeprom of the firebee. If I choose the 5474 as my target and then load in a s19 file, will the file with loaded in the firebee's eeprom?

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Gamer wrote:Anyone ever use debug for this purpose and where to find the program?

Gamer, you really should start to read carefully, first the public available informations, and also what a lot of teammembers already wrote to you in many many mails/PMs etc.

1.) dBug is at Didiers website. You can find the link at firebee.org -> support!
And no, nobody except Didier ever used it for flashing to my knowledge.

2.) I doubt that we can help you a lot with your special BDM device. All of us adviced you to try to get a TBLCF. That is what we are all using. for reflashing. Well a few people like Fredi/Vincent, ... have more expensive and bigger devices, but usually everybody is working with a TBLCF.

If you got your FireBee reflashed with your new device it woudl be good to write a howto for all FireBee users. Good luck!
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Mathias wrote:
Gamer wrote:Anyone ever use debug for this purpose and where to find the program?

Gamer, you really should start to read carefully, first the public available informations, and also what a lot of teammembers already wrote to you in many many mails/PMs etc.

1.) dBug is at Didiers website. You can find the link at firebee.org -> support!
And no, nobody except Didier ever used it for flashing to my knowledge.

2.) I doubt that we can help you a lot with your special BDM device. All of us adviced you to try to get a TBLCF. That is what we are all using. for reflashing. Well a few people like Fredi/Vincent, ... have more expensive and bigger devices, but usually everybody is working with a TBLCF.

If you got your FireBee reflashed with your new device it woudl be good to write a howto for all FireBee users. Good luck!

Mathias,

You are correct. I should start reading more carefully. I guess I missed the DEBUG program on his site. I was not looking for anything like. I will check it out though. Thanks. Didier is going to get back to me tomorrow on how he did it using DEBUG.

I tried to get a TBLCF, but no one knew where to pick one up or a place that would make one for me. I know the device is much cheaper, but from what I read, the BDM cable should work just fine. Both the BDM cable and the TBLCF are compatible with CF Flasher.

If I can get it reflashed using the BDM cable, I will post something.

Thanks.....

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Well I am a little closer. After getting a new patch for Cf Flasher, the BDM cable device is recognized by it. However, I am getting the error: "Cannot put the processor into the background mode".

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:13 pm

I was able to finally CF Flasher to work. P&E steered me to a patch for Cf Flasher. It updates the DLL files and also allows the program to be used under WIN7 (and 8 and 10 I think). I tested it under WIN 7 and it worked fine. I was also able to get updated firmware for my P&E Multilink BDM cable. I flashed the FPGA, BAS and EMUTOS s19 files using CF FLASHER. I then went under emutos and flashed the firetos hex file. The only problem I am having is when I chose to boot under firetos/mint, I get a message saying there is no answer to the compact flash IDE 0. In order to boot the IDE 0, I must first boot the firebee under emutos with dipswitch #5 in the off position. Then I rest the firebee and set dip switch #5 to the on position. Then IDE 0 boots. I can reset the firebee many times and the IDE 0 boots, but as soon as I turn the firebee off, there is no answer from IDE 0. I can also accomplish it by choosing the option to load Emutos at the beginning boot screen.
Last edited by Gamer on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 pm

Great job.
Glad that you are making great headway.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:09 pm

wongck wrote:Great job.
Glad that you are making great headway.

Thanks. I am kind of glad this happened as now I am more knowledgeable in the matter. I am pretty much back. I just have to figure out why the IDE 0 gives a "no answer".

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 am

Gamer, what about your NVRAM values? Did you check with the latest Fireconf CPX (inside last official FireTOS package) what is your boot order?

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 am

Mathias wrote:Gamer, what about your NVRAM values? Did you check with the latest Fireconf CPX (inside last official FireTOS package) what is your boot order?

AS far as I know I have the latest Fireconf.Cpx. I will check though. My boot order is IDE 0 - 1 and then the SCSI.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:04 pm

If you use the latest FireTOS from 2014 you are using the correct cpx as well (as the one wich is included is the only working one). So I am really wondering what might be the IDE issue. What BaS are you using? You should give BaS Codewarrior a try and see if the problems are gone.

Gamer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Gamer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Mathias wrote:If you use the latest FireTOS from 2014 you are using the correct cpx as well (as the one wich is included is the only working one). So I am really wondering what might be the IDE issue. What BaS are you using? You should give BaS Codewarrior a try and see if the problems are gone.

I am sure I using the latest firetos and the latest BAS. I picked them up from the firebee.org site. I wil recheck though. As it is, I can get a normal boot with the IDE working fine if I load up EMUtos (2nd option the boot-up screen) and then reset the fb. It loads fine then., but I turn thre FB off, then ijust goes back to what it was doing before. I have gotten the "No Answer" before, but a rest usually fixed it.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”